Don Sachs SP14 Tube Preamp Review

genjamon

Re: Don Sachs SP14 Tube Preamp Review
« Reply #320 on: 2 Jan 2018, 06:07 pm »
If price is the issue, you could always go with the Tubes4Hifi kit instead of Don's.  Hearing that kit in a friend's system is ultimately what led me to Don's pre.  I would have been happy with the kit.  Still looking forward to comparing my DS-2 to my friend's kit.   

jvinhj240

« Reply #321 on: 4 Jan 2018, 11:31 pm »
I did not have Don built one with Sub out-  Am I ok to use regular output for subwoofer? 

Speed Racer

« Reply #322 on: 19 Jan 2018, 07:20 am »
A few weeks ago I bought some Duelund DCA16GA for speakers wire. That worked out really well as it sounds better than the Mogami speaker wire I had been using.

Today I built two sets of interconnects using Duelund DCA20GA. A pair of 2 wire XLR interconnects and a a pair of RCA interconnects. Both unshielded. The XLR interconnects go from my DirectStream to the DS Model 2. The RCA interconnects connect the DS Model 2 to the Pioneer M-22 amp.

I have to say that right off the bat the interconnects sounded great and better than what I had. I only have a few hours on them now and I am hopeful they will sound even better 100 hours from now. Even if they don't, I have to say music sounds better than it ever has on my 2 channel system!

That’s a lot of Duelund hookup wire in my setup now!!

A_shah

« Reply #323 on: 19 Jan 2018, 02:05 pm »
A few weeks ago I bought some Duelund DCA16GA for speakers wire. That worked out really well as it sounds better than the Mogami speaker wire I had been using.

Today I built two sets of interconnects using Duelund DCA20GA. A pair of 2 wire XLR interconnects and a a pair of RCA interconnects. Both unshielded. The XLR interconnects go from my DirectStream to the DS Model 2. The RCA interconnects connect the DS Model 2 to the Pioneer M-22 amp.

I have to say that right off the bat the interconnects sounded great and better than what I had. I only have a few hours on them now and I am hopeful they will sound even better 100 hours from now. Even if they don't, I have to say music sounds better than it ever has on my 2 channel system!

That’s a lot of Duelund hookup wire in my setup now!!

Lucked out a bit got two pairs of IC, one 16 awg with Dueland gold plated RCA connectors another pair 20 awg with Dueland Rhodium plated both are 1.5 meters long plus 14 feet 16 awg  dueland speaker wire all twisted and terminated by Chris at Partsconnexion  got them at about 43% discount as they were used , still a pretty penny ! ( over $ 420.)
they replaced the Gorneberg Quarto , before that I was using self terminated mogami cables with high end WBT connectors.
 My the DS-2 also have internal dueland 20 awg wiring. The DS stream is connected to the DS -2 via Zu audio mission 1  cables silver plated XLR  for now ( waiting on Bicon Silver plated XLR from Europe should be in , in a few days) and one streaming source via the dueland 16 awg to the DS-2 and the DS-2 to the Kismet power amp. via the Rhodium plated 20 awg Dueland IC

Impressions: after a couple of weeks the Maggie's 1.7i  seem to sound like the old guitar type with  classic tone( I don't know if you get my drift ?)
  Vocals and acoustics are very well defined and clear. Bass is better defined and with better sound stage , Speech is very realistic ! mid range and treble are clearly defined , not sure about the transparency and how resolving they are but definitely very good detail , yes I like them because listening to music is non fatiguing   

Speed Racer

« Reply #324 on: 19 Jan 2018, 06:55 pm »
I did not like silver plated wires in my setup. The highs were too bright. Until I tried the Duelund wire, I found that OFC and OCC copper had the most realistic sound to it.

What I have found with the Duelund interconnects is that the mids and high end have more energy without sounding harsh or bright. The sound is less laid back and I really like it. I still have the ink black background and nice tight bass with ample presence. Overall, the sound is cleaner and more detailed. The sound before wasn't what I would call heavy or muddy, but it is less so now. I am looking forward to hearing what it all sounds like in 100 hours or so.

Speed Racer

« Reply #325 on: 19 Jan 2018, 11:17 pm »
Also, I should note that I am using the bare Duelund DCA 16GA wire to connect to my speakers and amp. No spades or banana plugs. According to some, this makes a rather significant difference. On the interconnect side, both the Furutech FP-126G RCA and Vampire XLR connectors I am using are gold plated copper.

A_shah

« Reply #326 on: 20 Jan 2018, 12:06 am »
Also, I should note that I am using the bare Duelund DCA 16GA wire to connect to my speakers and amp. No spades or banana plugs. According to some, this makes a rather significant difference. On the interconnect side, both the Furutech FP-126G RCA and Vampire XLR connectors I am using are gold plated copper.

@ Speed Racer
Yes ! I am using bare wire into the speakers & to the the Amp which has WBT Copper connectors , 2nd picture is the back of my DS-2

A_shah

Double Imapcts
« Reply #327 on: 20 Jan 2018, 03:57 am »
Scott
how would you describe the sound of the D.I you have with DS-2 ,  Directstream and  Duelands  ?

Asghar

Speed Racer

Re: Double Impacts
« Reply #328 on: 20 Jan 2018, 04:20 am »
Scott
how would you describe the sound of the D.I you have with DS-2 ,  Directstream and  Duelands  ?

Effin' spectacular!!!!

I love my 2 channel setup as it sits. I have interest in Don's amp but my Pioneer M-22 is really quite exceptional. The new interconnects have made a nice difference and I am more than happy with the Bridge II card as a Roon endpoint. I am not jonesing for anything right now...I haven't been there in a long time.

deadhead

« Reply #329 on: 20 Jan 2018, 02:12 pm »
I just received notice from Don that my pre amp was shipped.  Fedex says Friday delivery.  The KT88 amp is already here.  My new speakers should be shipped any day (another custom job).  Looks like I'm destined for some fun with all my new toys.  I'm looking forward to posting my impressions as everything burns in.

mresseguie

« Reply #330 on: 20 Jan 2018, 02:41 pm »
Party at deadhead’s house in one month. Time to book flight. Bring a sleeping bag, an inflatable pillow and a bottle of something yummy.  :banana piano: :beer: :birthday:

What I mean is “I can really appreciate what a great system you’re getting and I truly believe you’re going to be one happy camper.”

Congratulations!

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #331 on: 20 Jan 2018, 09:36 pm »
I did not have Don built one with Sub out-  Am I ok to use regular output for subwoofer?

As long as there aren't huge differences in the input impedances of your Power Mains and Power Sub amps, it's usually fine.

Those values should be in your component specifications.

If there are (say the amp is 10Kohms and the Sub 200Kohms, a 10:1 difference) there may be undesirable interactions between the two amplifiers (one loading down the other). Nothing will explode, but the sonics may be affected, especially on the loaded (lower input impedance) amplifier.

Most subs have alternate circuits you could use to connect them to a system, so it's not the end of the world. Also most power amplifiers have similar input impedances (because everything works better that way, so it's designed in) but some vacuum state amps have low-ish input impedances.

if you have concerns I'd suggest an eMail to Don, he will be happy to help with advice, I'm sure.

Wig

« Reply #332 on: 20 Jan 2018, 10:57 pm »
I just received notice from Don that my pre amp was shipped.  Fedex says Friday delivery.  The KT88 amp is already here.  My new speakers should be shipped any day (another custom job).  Looks like I'm destined for some fun with all my new toys.  I'm looking forward to posting my impressions as everything burns in.

That's awesome and the best way to get great news! Now comes the 4X daily status updates to see if FedEx will delivery early :)

Wig

Blueone302

« Reply #333 on: 21 Jan 2018, 04:09 am »
deadhead is in for some serious fun.  I've had my rig back together for exactly six months. Today, via the D. Sachs Model 2 Pre/linestage, My Kootenay 120 amp, My Decware/Turning Point HR 1's and the Oppo player, for the first time ever I felt like I was front row center.  I mean really there. And it didn't matter what genre I was listening to.  I have no idea why, but it's like the system came together on a whole new level.   All I can say is :green:

JakeJ

« Reply #334 on: 21 Jan 2018, 03:27 pm »
Blueone302, are you in a different room than the last time the system was setup?  If so, then better sound is most likely the result of room acoustics.  If not, maybe you hit the sweet spot for speaker placement.

deadhead

« Reply #335 on: 21 Jan 2018, 04:41 pm »
Party at deadhead’s house in one month. Time to book flight. Bring a sleeping bag, an inflatable pillow and a bottle of something yummy.  :banana piano: :beer: :birthday:

What I mean is “I can really appreciate what a great system you’re getting and I truly believe you’re going to be one happy camper.”

Congratulations!

I'm in NJ.  Anyone that wants to visit will be treated to great sound and great wine!

Blueone302

« Reply #336 on: 21 Jan 2018, 10:44 pm »
JakeJ  I moved in July and had to set everything back up.   Been with the new setup for six months exactly.  So yes, I'm in a different room.  But current room isn't as audio friendly as previous.    Haven't changed anything except for output tubes which technically should have been a slight step down.  Guess the tubes could be a part of it.  After living with tube gear a while, I'm thinking it's more synergy between components and the tube gear coming into it's own.  Of course, we know it's all subjective. 

JakeJ

« Reply #337 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:34 am »
Interesting.  Have you used REW to find your nulls and peaks?  Might be a good idea.  When it comes to system synergy there are lots of factors, so it could be the new tubes are better in this case.

I am in the process of moving and the living room is almost twice the size of the one I'm in now.  The new place has a family room that I plan to setup my HT gear in.

Blueone302

« Reply #338 on: 22 Jan 2018, 04:13 pm »
I have not ran an REW.  Reason being is I am a minister and the church I now serve provides a parsonage and prefers that I live in it.  So currently I am very limited in what I can do in terms of treatments.  I have however learned to be creative with furniture replacement, drapes, blinds and even shelves of CD's staggered and grouped to add some refraction in the back.  I've also found speaker placement to be critical.  That's the bad news.  The room itself is of decent size at 15' 6" X 23' with 9 ft ceilings.  I'm situated on the long axis for listening at about 16 ft from the front wall.  To me, is sounds slightly better than the last one where the scenario was much the same.

At the last place I did get quotes from GIK and seriously thought about treating the room.  It was going to require some custom pieces and I didn't want to buy things I couldn't use or would have to reinvent down the road.  If you're in the midst of planning a move I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about.

The game plan is to build or buy in the next few years.  I'm lobbying the wife for a dedicated 2channel/home theater room combo.  I think she will relent; if nothing else just so she doesn't have to deal with the volume when I turn it up.

As for those tubes, I had some trouble with a couple of the PS Vane's.  Don sent me a quad of Genalex Gold Lions to tide me over.  They're good too.  But I wanted a spare quad on hand and after reading a few decent reviews I bought a quad of the preferred series KT-88's from The Tube Store.  They are apparently Shuguang tubes.  Much more reliable to date and to me at least, they might be the best quad of tubes I've heard.   

Would be interested in your thoughts and plans for your dedicated HT room.  I've been compiling a notebook to help design ours.

Cheers!