Modulus-86 amp

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Modulus-86 amp
« Reply #20 on: 5 Dec 2016, 07:43 pm »
I am currently writing up a review for the HP-1 headphone amp, which is from the same designer as the Modulus-86 (Neurochrome). The man is a technical monster with some very impressive chops, and his headamp is possibly one of the most detailed and resolving that I've heard (and I am one of those nuts who has gone through more than his fair share of headphone gear). While I don't have first hand experience with the Mod86, I have some friends who do and they speak very highly of it.

http://www.neurochrome.com/product/hp-1-ultra-high-end-headphone-amp/
http://www.neurochrome.com/product/modulus-86/

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #21 on: 5 Dec 2016, 09:14 pm »
I am currently writing up a review for the HP-1 headphone amp, which is from the same designer as the Modulus-86 (Neurochrome). The man is a technical monster with some very impressive chops, and his headamp is possibly one of the most detailed and resolving that I've heard (and I am one of those nuts who has gone through more than his fair share of headphone gear). While I don't have first hand experience with the Mod86, I have some friends who do and they speak very highly of it.

http://www.neurochrome.com/product/hp-1-ultra-high-end-headphone-amp/
http://www.neurochrome.com/product/modulus-86/

+1 million.

I use the Modulus 86 as my main amplifier.

Best,
Anand.

Folsom

« Reply #22 on: 5 Dec 2016, 09:41 pm »
Nice new avatar Anand.

Are those SMPS modules for the power supply, on the headphone amp?

Armaegis

« Reply #23 on: 5 Dec 2016, 10:11 pm »
Are those SMPS modules for the power supply, on the headphone amp?

A quote from Tom from another forum regarding his SMPS...

I use SMPSes in my differential preamplifier (DIFF PRE 8x2), HP-1, and SMPS-86 which I used to power the LM3886DR and Modulus-86. All these circuits provide state of the art performance and have very low noise floors. The switchers perform better than most linear supplies. I do add filtering on the output of the SMPS, but that's mostly a precaution. The switching noise is spread-spectrum, thus, low in amplitude and way outside the audio band (60-70 kHz), so it's not an issue for audio circuits.

On the HP-1, I went one step further and added a set of low-noise regulators to the output of the filtered switching supplies. The main reason was to get the rail voltage I wanted so I could get 3 W into 20 Ω and 3 W into 32 Ω. The post-regulators also provide a nice marketing blurb about super filtered supplies, though, the filtering isn't all that necessary from a technical standpoint.

There are ways to screw up the performance by adding filtering, by the way. If the designer isn't careful, it's possible to cause some severe peaking in the combined output impedance of the filter + SMPS. It should go without saying but I'll say it anyway: I spent considerable time and effort designing the SMPS post-filter to ensure good performance across the audio band.

wushuliu

« Reply #24 on: 5 Dec 2016, 11:12 pm »
His smps is compelling. I love how thorough and accessible his explanations are.

dwk

« Reply #25 on: 6 Dec 2016, 12:06 am »
Good to see that folks are happy with the results - I have the boards for the Mod-86 but haven't started the build yet. I think I'll use the Modushop chassis from the diyaudio store and a PS from a Class-D-Audio amp that I had.  the PS voltage is on the upper end of things, but should be ok in my application where I don't really crank it (at least I hope).

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 6 Dec 2016, 12:38 am »
Good to see that folks are happy with the results - I have the boards for the Mod-86 but haven't started the build yet. I think I'll use the Modushop chassis from the diyaudio store and a PS from a Class-D-Audio amp that I had.  the PS voltage is on the upper end of things, but should be ok in my application where I don't really crank it (at least I hope).
If you can I'd suggest you use Tom's PS. 

Folsom

« Reply #27 on: 6 Dec 2016, 12:45 am »
His smps is compelling. I love how thorough and accessible his explanations are.

They always are on paper. And many sound pretty good, you just got to find out who's yankin' the leg. Tom probably chose fairly wisely since he's no fool.

richidoo

« Reply #28 on: 9 Dec 2016, 12:34 am »
Tom's amps have extremely high PS noise rejection, so PS efficiency and cost can take priority over noise so a quality prefab unit makes sense. Am I correct to assume the headamp is also a "composite amplifier" topology like Mod86?

In other news: :D  I bought one of the last pairs of Parallel-86 PCBs, including the now discontinued amplifier chips. Not even started building them yet, but I was surprised to see that with a lowish 28V PS it can handle 2 ohm load.  :thumb:

Armaegis

« Reply #29 on: 9 Dec 2016, 05:58 am »
Am I correct to assume the headamp is also a "composite amplifier" topology like Mod86?

Again snipped from another forum...

Now about the circuit. As noted a few pages back, the HP-1 uses the OPA1612 for the differential receiver and input buffer. Input selection and gain selection is accomplished by Kemet relays with gold plated switch contacts. The headphone output stage is an LME49600 in a composite loop with an OPA1611. The composite amp has a built-in compensation network which ensures stellar performance even with heavy capacitive loads (long headphone cables). It'll drive up to 22 nF || 300 Ω. That's close to 1 km of headphone cable. That aught to do it... :) I have seen OPA1611+LME49600 amps from other vendors. I wonder if they noticed that it'll oscillate at load capacitances in the 100-500 pF range (common cable capacitance). You need that compensation circuit... To minimize DC on the output of the amp, an OPA2140 provides a third order DC servo for an output DC offset below 100 µV. I chose a 3rd order servo to ensure a fast settling time while not impacting the THD at 20 Hz. The servo settles in about 30 seconds. The HP-1 needs no further warm-up than that.
There are no capacitors in the signal path as the HP-1 is DC coupled. Should any part of the amp or any circuitry upstream of the amp fail resulting in DC on the output, the built-in protection circuit will disable the output. Also, in the event of power supply failure where one rail collapses, the other rail will be shut off. The final feature of the protection circuit is that it provides a turn-on delay, thus, eliminating turn-on and turn-off thumps in your headphones.

nicksgem10s

« Reply #30 on: 24 Mar 2018, 07:00 pm »
Can any of you share what preamp(s) have worked well with your Modulus 86 amp?

The DIY thread is almost 400 pages and I would really like to hear from some AC folks that built or used this amp and tried out some different preamps with it.

Another question I have is can it drive speakers that tend to like more power and current?

Thanks for your help.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #31 on: 24 Mar 2018, 07:22 pm »
Nick,

Let’s be more specific. What speakers? What efficiency? What impedance curve?

Thanks,
Anand.

nicksgem10s

« Reply #32 on: 24 Mar 2018, 07:45 pm »
Anand, thanks for your follow-up.

Intuitive Audio Gamma Summit two way monitors 89db nominal 4 ohms

Wish I could tell you more about the specifications but not much available online about them.  I understand they like a little power and current to open up.

I just recently purchased the speakers and haven't had a serious audio system in a few years.  Just getting back into the hobby and trying to figure out a great amplifier for these speakers.

Thanks,

Nick

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #33 on: 24 Mar 2018, 09:07 pm »
Anand, thanks for your follow-up.

Intuitive Audio Gamma Summit two way monitors 89db nominal 4 ohms

Wish I could tell you more about the specifications but not much available online about them.  I understand they like a little power and current to open up.

I just recently purchased the speakers and haven't had a serious audio system in a few years.  Just getting back into the hobby and trying to figure out a great amplifier for these speakers.

Thanks,

Nick

In small/medium sized rooms the 65 watts on the Modulus should do fine. I know of 1 other fella who is quite satisfied with KEF reference series that have an impedance dip to 3.2 ohms in the 100-300 Hz region without issues. In larger rooms, consider the Modulus 686.

Best,
Anand.