My Vista ACLE unit specs

WireNut

My Vista ACLE unit specs
« on: 18 Aug 2014, 02:00 am »
Hi Boris, AC members,

What do the marking in ink pin mean on my Vista ACLE phono preamp.
I bought it used a coupe years ago and don't know what it was originally setup for.

Seems to be working great with 5.0mv MM cartridge's.

Thanks,
Steve

« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2014, 09:27 pm by WireNut »

Audiovista

Re: My Vista ACLE unit specs
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2014, 01:29 pm »
Hi WireNut,

I'm very glad to hear that the preamp is working great for you! :thumb:   I just realized that it's been just over 5 years since it was first introduced, how time flies...

Markings on the label were put by me. Originally the preamp shipped set for an MM cartridge, then, several months later, it was reconfigured for an HOMC cartridge with 100 ohm loading.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Boris

WireNut

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2014, 03:06 pm »
Boris, Do you think my Vista would work "as is" with a Dynavecter MC 10x5 which has 2.5mV outputs. That will probably be my next cart upgrade.
I'm currently using a goldring MM cart with 6.5 mV output, or, an AT120E WITH 5.0mV. I have plenty of volume to spare on my tube preamp.

Thanks,
Steve

Audiovista

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2014, 12:05 am »
Hi Steve,

When setting preamp for Dyna 10X5, I was going with 1k load. You will probably have enough gain, but 100 ohm load may give you a "muffled" sound. However, as the preamp works well with your MM carts, I wonder if somebody returned it to the default state (47k load). In that case sound will be on the bright side but, depending on the rest of your system, it may sound just right. In any event, once you get the new cartridge and if you are not satisfied, it will not be difficult to optimize the preamp for it.

Best Regards,
Boris

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2014, 01:53 am »
Steve

If you like the Vista sound, your best bet is to just buy the new version.  Then you can change gain and resistance to whatever you want. If the resistors Boris includes are not enough they are cheap enough in pairs from any of the parts warehouse or even RS or you local parts house. I've got about 25 different sets of resistors and can test new cartridges at multiple settings until I find what sounds right to me. 

WireNut

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2014, 10:05 am »
Steve

If you like the Vista sound, your best bet is to just buy the new version.  Then you can change gain and resistance to whatever you want. If the resistors Boris includes are not enough they are cheap enough in pairs from any of the parts warehouse or even RS or you local parts house. I've got about 25 different sets of resistors and can test new cartridges at multiple settings until I find what sounds right to me.

Hi JackD and Boris,

I'm happy enough  with my Vista ACLE unit that I have already been thinking about buying a second MK2 version for MC carts. I could have two tables, one with MM carts, and one with MC carts. I like it  :thumb:............ Just wait'in for the cash to roll in.

On a side note, I recently had a Pass Labs DIY Pearl 2 Phono stage along with my Vista. The Vista blew it away in my system so I sold the Pearl 2.

Question. Why do folks need an SUT when the Vista can be setup for MC carts  :dunno:

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2014, 12:29 pm »
They don't need it, some just find the sound preferable.

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2014, 01:27 pm »
Also,  if your Vista is set up for HOMM,  you need a step up to use LOMC.  But cheapest most streamlined option is to simply get your Vista changed to handle LO.

WireNut

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2017, 03:28 pm »
Boris,
Can you tell me what I need to do to setup my Vista ACLE phono stage for an Ortofon 2m Blue. It's setup for MC right now.
I can solder, I just need to know what to change.

Thanks

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2017, 04:18 pm »
Boris,
Can you tell me what I need to do to setup my Vista ACLE phono stage for an Ortofon 2m Blue. It's setup for MC right now.
I can solder, I just need to know what to change.

Thanks
One option would be to swap with me.  I've could use a MC unit, and I've got a spare MM ACLE unit. 

WireNut

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2017, 05:31 pm »
S Clark,

Glad you found your MC phono. Maybe Boris will chime in and can help me out. Thanks anyway.

« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2017, 08:40 pm by WireNut »

Audiovista

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2017, 01:20 pm »
Hi Steve,

Not a problem, you will need to replace a few SMD resistors, 0805 size. I will reply to your PM.

Best,
Boris