What AVA Amp Would Be A Good Match To Drive Magnepan 3.7's ?

audiojem

New here looking for the right amp to drive my Magnepan 3.7's is there an AVA model that would work.
I'm looking for something that sounds good, runs fairly cool and is not a 85 pound monster to move!
Thank In Advance
AJ

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: What AVA Amp Would Be A Good Match To Drive Magnepan 3.7's ?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2014, 04:06 am »
AVA is reknowned for driving Maggies  What is your preferred budget for the amp?

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2014, 04:42 am »
Last summer we compared two different amps driving the Magnepan 3.7's: a Krell Full Power Balanced 200 (Class A) and an AVA Synergy 450. The overall sound was very, very close. Based on the differences we heard I think the AVA Fet Valve 600R would be the best choice of all the AVA amps to match up with the 3.7's.

Are you going to run a sub? The Maggies don't go real low. The REL Gibraltar G-2, although pricey, was a perfect match.

Wayne

plaf26

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2014, 05:04 am »
I'm running the AVA 400R into a pair of Maggie MMGs with excellent results.  I'm sure the 600r would be plenty for the bigger Maggies.  My sub is a Biro Kensington (sadly out of production) which is self powered.  Great combo!

:banana piano:

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2014, 10:05 am »
I use an AVA 400R to run Magnepan 1.7s with excellent results!  You may want a 600R just in case you need more power.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2014, 02:11 pm »
Get a 600R.  I have a pair of 1.6's and took home a 600R for review purposes.  You will appreciate the extra power and dynamic's.  Be sure to pair the amp with a tube preamp that leans on the warmer side for the best sound with the Maggies. 

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2014, 04:24 pm »
Of course if you want to save a bit of money, start out with a Fet Valve 400R.  it will do everything you want as long as your taste in music is not rock band playback at front row live concert levels.

If you want more power you can always send the 400R back to be upgraded to a 600R for the difference in cost ($500 right now) plus shipping as long as the amplifiers are current production models.

Frank Van Alstine

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2014, 05:51 pm »
"If you want more power you can always send the 400R back to be upgraded to a 600R for the difference in cost ($500 right now) plus shipping as long as the amplifiers are current production models."

That is nice to know.  :thumb: I'll keep this in mind when I decide to move up in the amplifier world.  :D

Minn Mark

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2014, 01:22 am »
I'm driving my 3.6/R's with an older AVA Insight 440H. Works great. I bet you'd be surprised what the 3.7's sound like driven by an Ultravalve, but any of the AVA amp family will serve you well. Very neutral, so you will hear the recording, not some engineer's ego.

Mark

audiojem

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2014, 12:48 am »
Does the 600 run hot after being on for a while.
Thank You

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2014, 01:39 am »
Nope, the 600R does not run hot, the heat sinks just get medium warm even when it has been played pretty loud for an extended period of time.  You won't burn your fingers on it.

Now if you are trying to blow up your Magnapans, that will get it warm, but the Maggies will melt first.

Frank Van Alstine