Linked Events

• T.H.E. Show Newport Beach: 30 May 2014 - 1 Jun 2014

T.H.E. Show Newport Beach

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: T.H.E. Show Newport Beach
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2014, 08:04 pm »
Although we won't be there in person, you can listen to an AVA Fet Valve 400R hybrid power amplifier driving the Janszen Electrostatic speakers.

It seems like David Janszen has discovered our power amplifier is an ideal match for his awesome electrostatic speakers.

Enjoy the show!

Frank Van Alstine

CIAudio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.ciaudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2014, 10:32 pm »
CIAudio will be exhibiting in 2 display rooms at the Newport Show.

Hilton Suite 706- We will demo our New E-200S stereo power amplifier, along with our Transient MKII DAC, PLC-1 MKII Remote Passive Line Controller, and Von Schweikert UniField Two Loudspeakers.

Hilton Suite 1023- This room will have the big Von Schweikert VR-100XS system. Bass is driven by our custom 1000w subwoofer amplifiers, mid-bass and top end driven by a pair of our D-500 MKII's.

Please come by for a listen and enjoy a craft beer  :beer:
« Last Edit: 28 May 2014, 07:35 pm by CIAudio »

Cheeseboy

« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2014, 11:08 pm »
Can't wait to hear the big system.  How do the new amp differ from the usual 200 watt monies.

CIAudio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.ciaudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2014, 11:41 pm »
The E-200S is a new compact stereo (dual mono) model, meant to compete on a lower price level (Wyred 4 Sound, etc.) but with better performance than the typical ICE powered offerings.

This model uses 2 Hypex SMPS instead of our linear supply. With this, we developed a new input stage with great rejection to power supply switching noise. The result is an amplifier with very similar performance to our MKII models, but at a lower cost and smaller package/lower weight. The monos are still more powerful into lower impedance loads, but the E-200S holds it own with conventional speaker loads.

Please come by and check it out!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2014, 05:12 pm »
Melody will be in 2 rooms.

Zu Audio in Atrium #322 will have Melody M845 SET Monoblocks.
ACA in Atrium #220 will have Melody PB101 and MN845 Monoblocks with 150W Class A.
ACA will also have the Flagship Media CD Player Onix OC103.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2014, 08:24 pm »
And this ladies and gerblstiens is why you go to THE Newport show. Class A tube amPs and hypex powered class D new technology side by side. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2014, 03:59 pm »
Getting very close now!  :thumb:

I almost always carry a camera (point n shoot) to photograph a few quick shots of each room I go into to help me remember things and I take a few close ups of the stuff that interests me.

I will also take a better camera/flash in case there is something I'm really interested in, but I don't like carrying a full SLR around all day, but if there is something somewhere that anybody wants a special picture of, let me know and I'll try to make 1 round with it.

Should be fun!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2014, 05:51 pm »
Just a picture of you and Ann at the show enjoying yourselves.

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2014, 06:42 pm »
You are right Cheeseboy, everybody in Southern California (and the southwest for that matter!), should come to THE Show Newport.

And speaking of class A tube amps & Class D amps... I'll be playing my new Carbon 7 SE's with the lighter & faster ScanSpeak mid/bass driver & Illuminator AirCirc tweeter on both the old & new technology.  Stop by room 923 @ the Hilton to check out my designs on Electra-Fidelity 300B tube amps & room 906 or 908 on Wyred for Sounds high powered Ice amps.

There's lots of other great gear and people on this floor.  As always, take the elevator to the top floor of the show & then walk down the stairs.

I hope to see some ACer's at THE Show.

Thanks & Happy listening...  Fritz Heiler  FritzSpeakers

capwkidd

« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2014, 07:09 pm »
We are going to try something a little different with our Newport show report this year.

We are going to try and post the normal 500 to 1000 photos, in REAL TIME, as they are taken, on Instagram.

These will be lower resolution, but hopefully will give a more visceral feeling of 'being at the show'.

No need to login to Instagram or anything:

http://instagram.com/audiofederation

Or, if you prefer, you can see the photos off of the instagram tab on our facebook page:

http://facebook.com/audiofederation

This might be great or this might suck. Don't say you haven't been warned! :-)

[We'll be taking hi-res photos too, just not as many as we usually do].

Now on with the show...

Good deal, I will try to take pics and post online also....

Anyone know if anyone will have an Hypex/NCore amp at the show?

Doug

capwkidd

« Reply #30 on: 29 May 2014, 07:13 pm »
Although we won't be there in person, you can listen to an AVA Fet Valve 400R hybrid power amplifier driving the Janszen Electrostatic speakers.

It seems like David Janszen has discovered our power amplifier is an ideal match for his awesome electrostatic speakers.

Enjoy the show!

Frank Van Alstine

Which hotel/room?

capwkidd

« Reply #31 on: 29 May 2014, 07:19 pm »
And this ladies and gerblstiens is why you go to THE Newport show. Class A tube amPs and hypex powered class D new technology side by side.

Indeed! Very big grin ;)

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #32 on: 29 May 2014, 08:38 pm »
Janszen is in room 821 in the Hilton.  AVA is not an official participant, its just that David Janszen likes our Fet Valve 400R amplifier enough to buy one from us to use in house and at shows like this.  He also got a 240V version to use at the recent Munich show.

Frank Van Alstine

Cheeseboy

« Reply #33 on: 29 May 2014, 10:08 pm »
You are right Cheeseboy, everybody in Southern California (and the southwest for that matter!), should come to THE Show Newport.

And speaking of class A tube amps & Class D amps... I'll be playing my new Carbon 7 SE's with the lighter & faster ScanSpeak mid/bass driver & Illuminator AirCirc tweeter on both the old & new technology.  Stop by room 923 @ the Hilton to check out my designs on Electra-Fidelity 300B tube amps & room 906 or 908 on Wyred for Sounds high powered Ice amps.

There's lots of other great gear and people on this floor.  As always, take the elevator to the top floor of the show & then walk down the stairs.

I hope to see some ACer's at THE Show.

Thanks & Happy listening...  Fritz Heiler  FritzSpeakers

Can't wait to hear these Fritz.  Always have loved your speakers.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #34 on: 31 May 2014, 01:08 am »
Made it through the first day. Tired already.

Seems like there are fewer rooms this year. Not seeing as many with room treatments either. Only a couple of rooms sound good, but it's only Friday and I expect that many will dial it in and be much better tomorrow and Sunday (at least I'm hoping).

Staying at the Hilton (decent room), so It's easy to take a quick break. Gonna relax for a few and then figure out dinner.

Disappointed that PS Audio doesn't have a real presence - wanted to see and hear the new DAC.

..... and I need to win the Lottery so I can afford some of this stuff.  :green:

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 31 May 2014, 01:53 am »
 Has anyone there listen to the Wavetouch Audio Grand Teton Monitors at the Atrium Hotel, room 231 ?

capwkidd

« Reply #36 on: 31 May 2014, 02:41 am »
Made it through the first day. Tired already.

Seems like there are fewer rooms this year. Not seeing as many with room treatments either. Only a couple of rooms sound good, but it's only Friday and I expect that many will dial it in and be much better tomorrow and Sunday (at least I'm hoping).

Staying at the Hilton (decent room), so It's easy to take a quick break. Gonna relax for a few and then figure out dinner.

Disappointed that PS Audio doesn't have a real presence - wanted to see and hear the new DAC.

..... and I need to win the Lottery so I can afford some of this stuff.  :green:

Check room 911.... Looks like they have a PS Audio DAC.... Maybe it's the new one?

I have only been through floor 10, and part of the way through 9.... I keep lingering and talking, and enjoying ;)..... Check out the nice looking and sounding Vapor audio speakers..... The ones on display, I thought they where 10's of thousands, they are $13k....

capwkidd

« Reply #37 on: 31 May 2014, 03:22 am »
We are going to try something a little different with our Newport show report this year.

We are going to try and post the normal 500 to 1000 photos, in REAL TIME, as they are taken, on Instagram.

These will be lower resolution, but hopefully will give a more visceral feeling of 'being at the show'.

No need to login to Instagram or anything:

http://instagram.com/audiofederation

Or, if you prefer, you can see the photos off of the instagram tab on our facebook page:

http://facebook.com/audiofederation

This might be great or this might suck. Don't say you haven't been warned! :-)

[We'll be taking hi-res photos too, just not as many as we usually do].

Now on with the show...

I had to use the Instagram link THROUGH the Facebook link.... That worked well, the direct Instagram link kept refusing to load pages, and kept taking me back to the first page... Very frustrating!
« Last Edit: 31 May 2014, 03:07 pm by capwkidd »

guf

« Reply #38 on: 31 May 2014, 04:39 am »
I has to use the Instagram link THROUGH the Facebook link.... That worked well, the direct Instagram link kept refusing to load pages, and kept taking me back to the first page... Very frustrating!

thanks for this

abernardi

« Reply #39 on: 31 May 2014, 06:39 am »
Well here's some impressions of the first day.  It was pretty GREAT.  Pretty laid back and I had more fun today than at the other shows and yes, the rooms were difficult to get sounding good, but some of them sounded great.

The Nordost presentation was impressive.  The system had good synergy to begin with, but when they started swapping out cables it got interesting.  I'm sorry I couldn't keep track of each of the cable models.  Basically I was there while they demonstrated each tier of interconnects just from the DAC to the integrated amp.  None of them sounded bad.  Starting with the least expensive and working their way up, the sound got better and better and it wasn't subtle.  Particularly the third cable they put in the system - the red one - this was a dual monofilament copper coated with silver and an air dialectic.  It seems this air dialectic really made the difference.  Hey, and at just under $800 SHOW PRICE!.... stone cold bargain?  Only you and your accountant can determine that.  If you have any doubts cabling makes a difference, don't miss this demo. - - Oh, and they were playing an artist I hadn't heard before and she was really great - Kat Edmonson.  She sounds a lot like Blossom Dearie.

The Von Schweikert room was awesome.  This set up knocked me back on my heels.  Were these really Dusty's amps?  Wow, this from a class D amp is really impressive.  I thought they were Constellations.  I'll have to check that out tomorrow.  It was fast and had major slam - yet no harshness whatsoever - smooth and detailed and organic all at the same time!

I love the idea of these Grimm powered speakers.  I think these have a built in DAC and the NCore amps.  They sounded pretty good and they're real lookers.  The imaging was excellent, but there was an occasional edge at some frequencies.  Worth another listen though.

DC10 - pretty horn speakers.  Very fast and a sense of immediacy, like the artist was in the room, right in your face.  Again, a little harsh here and there, but impressive

Rockport speakers, Brinkmann turntable - smooth, analogue, detailed - nothing not to like in this room.

Spacial speakers driven by Red Dragon D-Class monoblocks.  Well, the sound was energetic, but not at all natural to my ear.  But the price is good and the looks are good for that modern bachelor pad with the white on white furnishing  - - baaaabyyyy!

Oh, this was a fun room!  Aren't they great looking???  And they sound great.  James Romeyn, codesigner of these speakers was explaining how they incorporate some of the Geddis (sp?) theory of subwoofer arrays, but it's basically built into the speaker.  If I understand it correctly, he has two midrange woofers and the tweeter on the front baffle, and then two more of the same woofers mounted perpendicular and 180 degrees out of phase in the back pointing up.  These supposedly will use the ceiling to offset standing waves or modes in the room.  He could click them in and out and they definitely improved the sound, depending on the program material.  I didn't notice anything on a solo piano, but on a small jazz ensemble, when he engaged the two extra woofers, the sound stage widened noticeably, some depth increased and the low end seemed, not tighter, but more controlled.  James is great fun to talk to and loves to tell you all about it.  You can spend a lot of time in this room, it sounds really good

Oh my, oh my, oh my!  I've always liked Fritz's speakers, but he has taken a quantum leap with these Carrera 7's!  This is the best Fritz speaker I've heard.  He says he's using a new tweeter.  I want these!

The other big WOW today for me was the Hegel room sporting the new Raidho TINY little speakers.  I know you constantly hear it, these speakers went lower than they had any right to.  But this time it's REALLY true!  OMG - - I was looking around the room for the subwoofer and the guys from Hegel and Raidho were laughing at me.  These little speakers were spread real wide and the sound was so exciting and thrilling.  They went DEEEEEEP.  I asked the Raidho guy (sorry, embarrassed I didn't get his name!) how the hell they did it.  He said basically that the secret was NOT to push the little 4" driver too hard.  Let it go as deep as it can comfortably because if you go further than that, the driver itself will be making so much noise that it will ruin it.  Also he said the port was special.  Still seemed like voodoo to me.  I put on a song I was familiar with and while it sounded very good, I noticed it wasn't sounding like I know it should.  The bass was not bloated exactly, but it lacked detail.  But if you didn't know what was there, I don't know that you'd miss it.  It also seemed to have some dips at other frequencies, but again not unpleasant.  I'm not sure what's going on with this system, but it is SO impressive.  That's it for now