New Owner of RAD Micros

erikzen

New Owner of RAD Micros
« on: 16 Aug 2004, 06:02 pm »
I had recently been looking to purchase a pair of small speakers, both in size and price, to replace my 15 year old Bose 301 speakers.  My wife and I recently purchased our first home and the only place I could easily put the speakers without rewiring the house was on the mantle in our living room.  As soon as I put the speakers up there my wife said "you don't think those are going to stay up there, do you"?  :nono:  She had a point.  The mantle was the most prominent feature of the room and although the Bose 301s are called "bookshelf" speakers they are quite bulky.  Besides, they have been moved from place to place about 5 times over the years and were really starting to show some wear.

Always wanting to turn a positive into a negative, I decided that this was a pefect opporunity to buy some new speakers.  My wife does not share my enthusiasm for audio equipment so I knew I had to find a pair of speakers that were unobtrusive and inexpensive to satisfy her and musical sounding to satisfy me.  I do not have a very high end stereo.  My HT setup consists of hooking the up the TV audio output to an Onkyo TX-822 receiver (also about 15 years old) and a Sony DVP-ND400D - decidedly budget DVD/CD player.  Nevertheless, I do plan on upgrading the system slowly so I wanted speakers that were both good enough so as not to be the bottleneck when I decide to make the jump to a new amp, yet would not be overkill in my current configuration.

Searching around both the internet and the "real world" I had great difficulty finding something suitable.  I was very close to purchasing a pair of Focal-JMLabs 705S Chorus speakers, but the size, aesthetics and price were not ideal.  However, at least when I demoed them in the shop, I did like the sound.

Luckily, before plunking down my money on the 705S speakers, I found the RAD Micros.  These little guys are perfect for my application and are certainly easy on the wallet, especially the "older" model with the spring loaded bindings.  I gave Brian a call and after a very pleasant half hour conversation that ranged from audio to home renovation I decided to purchase a pair of RAD Micros.

The Micros arrived within a week of placing my original order and came very well packed.  Upon opening the wrapping I was impressed with the build quality and surprised by the weight of the units.  Despite truly being micro in size the speakers were solidly constucted and were surprisingly heavy.  I hooked them up to the stereo and placed them on the mantle.  This received no objections from my wife and I think they are extremely unobtrusive, although the wires are still visible.  However, if you're sitting down you can't see them at all.

I had never owned a speaker with full range drivers before so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  Brian had told me on the phone that because there is no woofer that I shouldn't expect them to go very low.  He also warned of some harshness in the midrange, especially at higher volumes.  With a pregnant wife and a toddler at home, I am not known to crank up the music as much as I used to.  So I figured these limitations would be an acceptable compromise for a $75 speaker.  At that price what could I reasonably expect?

Well, I definitley got a lot more than I paid for!  I was completely surprised to find that although there was no ultra low bass, the sound was extremely full.  There is plenty of midbass information presented, although I think the sound will greatly benefit from a subwoofer.  The midrange is very clear, especially horn instruments.  I do find the treble to be a bit rolled off so sometimes this gives me the impression of a hump in the midrange frequencies.  I can easily adjust this by increasing the treble a bit on the receiver and may well be a function of my amp, which I believe is a bit warm sounding for solid state.  This may be because the amp is old and probably needs a good cleaning.  Perhaps, when I finally spring for a new amp the sound will open up a bit more.

Compared to the Bose 301 sound, the Micros have a much better soundstage.  The reflective nature of Bose speakers always seemed to smear the sound to my ears.  I have never had the vitriol for Bose that some people exhibit, yet I never found them to be overly satisfying either.  Imaging is much better with the Micros with a much faster attack.  In the midrange, the RADs are much clearer, although they don't fully represent the complete frequency range as well as the Bose.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my RAD Micros.  For $150 I certainly could not have done any better and would have to spend twice the price anywhere else to match sound quality.  Even then, I would have ended up with a speaker bigger than I actually wanted.

Thank you Rutledge Audio Design for the perfect solution!

ooheadsoo

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2004, 07:17 pm »
Nice review, happy to see that they are working out for you.

erikzen

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2004, 09:29 pm »
Thanks ooheadsoo.  I have you to thank for pointing me in the direction of RAD.

I would recommend these speakers to anyone who has budget and/or space limitations.  I also like the fact that I can use these later on as my system evolves.  My next step will either be to get a subwoofer or a new amp that supports Surround Sound.  Eventually, I'll get the needed additional speakers for HT, as well.

Carlman

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2004, 12:02 am »
I've got the 5-speaker and sub setup connected to a Panasonic XR-25.  It's a very good little system.  I'm very impressed with the sub's capability and I think you'll be quite impressed at how well they blend together when you get to that point.

I too was impressed with the craftsmanship of the cabinets and real wood veneers.

-C

Brian Bunge

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2004, 10:31 pm »
Erik,

Thanks so much for the kind words.  I truly enjoyed speaking with you on the phone that day and I'm glad that I was able to meet your needs with the Micros.  If I ever get a chance, I'll finish that new 8" subwoofer and let you know how it sounds! :)

erikzen

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2004, 01:49 am »
I'm looking forward to that Brian.  That sounds right up my alley.  I'll probably purchase that with a very minimal amount of arm twisting. :wink:

Brian Bunge

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2004, 12:44 am »
I better get busy with the arm twisting then! :)

Truth is, I've been so busy with this 7.1 system I'm building for a local customer that I don't have much time for experimenting with anything else.  I'll get it done eventually, though.

erikzen

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2004, 02:31 am »
Take your time Brian.  My wallet can use a breather.

Good luck with your 7.1 system.

erikzen

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2004, 09:05 pm »
Quote from: Brian Bunge
If I ever get a chance, I'll finish that new 8" subwoofer and let you know how it sounds! :)

Any chance you did any work on that sub, Brian?  I've got some money in my PayPal account that's burning a hole in my screen.  I'd like to spend it on something fun before my wife figures it out and makes me buy something dumb like groceries or clothes for the kids.

Brian Bunge

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2004, 01:43 am »
Erik,

Not quite yet.  I have a couple of other projects I'm trying to wrap up before I "play" with the new stuff.  I'll see what I can squeeze in during the next week or so.  Feel free to drop me an email if you'd like to discuss more in-depth.

erikzen

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2004, 02:01 am »
Hey Brian,

No rush.  Just curious as to what you've been up to.  We'll talk more about it soon, I'm sure.

dayneger

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2004, 07:20 pm »
Just out of curiousity, which 8" subwoofer are you referring to, and what are the specs you're expecting?

Thanks!

:-) Dayne

erikzen

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2004, 07:45 pm »
When I bought the RAD Micros, Brian and I discussed my "long term upgrade path".  I am a new homeowner with a young family on a tight budget.  I bought the RADs for 2 channel audio because of their small footprint and reasonable cost.  However, you don't get something for nothing and we talked about a next step in terms of growing with these speakers.

The logical next step is to add a subwoofer, since these single driver speakers do not go very low.  Brian will someday  :wink: build an 8" subwoofer that will compliment the RADs where space and budget is an issue.

As for specs, I'm not expecting anything.  I'm waiting for Brian to tell me.  I assume they will be similar to his 10 and 12 inch subs, but you'll have to ask him.  I'm in no rush though, I just paid my school taxes, I need to find a new tenant for my rental unit and Christmas is coming.

Jay S

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #13 on: 7 Oct 2004, 01:03 am »
The RAD Micros are good little speakers.  They sound fine, don't take up a lot of space, and have a nice real-wood finish.  Smart idea to "grow" by getting a powered sub.  Not sure what you're powering the Micros with but you may want to check out the numerous threads on the JVC digital receivers, which have a nice, smooth, powerful yet non-fatigueing sound.

Hope you find a tenant soon... it will help the cash flow situation.

Brian Bunge

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2004, 01:47 am »
Dayne,

The 8" sub would consist of the Tang Band W8-740C in an 11" external cube with 2 Dayton 8" PR's.  With the right tuning I expect the sub to have extension into the high 20's and be capable of just over 100dB from that point on up with a 100W amp.

You can get a little better extension and more SPL by going with a larger, ported enclosure, but it would be roughly about the size of something like the Hsu STF-1.  If you need something small and unobtrusive that can still give you decent SPL's without being boomy then the little 11" cube looks to be the way to go.  I'll find out for sure if I ever get a chance to build the damn thing!:)

Jay,

Do you know the model number of the JVC receiver you're referring to?  I just happen to have several JVC products available to me through one of my suppliers.

Jay S

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #15 on: 7 Oct 2004, 02:00 am »
Brian,

In general, you need a receiver with JVC's hybrid digital amplifier (whatever that means).  In terms of models, try the RX-ES1 (now discontinued) or the RX-F10S.  I understand the ES1 was available for under $200 mail order, while the F10S is about $280 (it has an extra channel - 6.1 up from 5.1?).  There are 3 long threads on the JVC in the Multi-Channel circle.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=43

erikzen

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #16 on: 7 Oct 2004, 03:34 am »
Quote from: Jay S
In general, you need a receiver with JVC's hybrid digital amplifier (whatever that means).  In terms of models, try the RX-ES1 (now discontinued) or the RX-F10S.

Thanks for the recommendation.  Someone else also recommended a Panasonic SA-XR25 also with digital amp for the Micros.

Jay S

New Owner of RAD Micros
« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2004, 04:05 am »
They are both good receivers but with different pros and cons.  

Panny digital receivers sound better with the digital input than the analog input.  They are dynamic and clear but are perhaps more analytical than musical.  

The JVCs sound better with the analog input.  While they are dynamic, they may be less detailed and exciting than the Panny, but more musical and coherent.  

The choice may boil down to your preferences as well as how you'd use it.  Movie buffs may prefer the Panny, music lovers may prefer the JVC.  Either way, you're getting excellent value.