Netflix: What to watch?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #60 on: 7 Jan 2014, 05:18 am »
Wallander is another great series to check out - each episode is pretty much a movie in it's own right, plus there's a continuous character arc.  Great cinematography too.

ss397

« Reply #61 on: 9 Jan 2014, 03:14 pm »
Checked out Quartet last night. We liked it a lot. I will check out Wallander also, thanks for the heads up.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #62 on: 4 Mar 2014, 10:38 pm »
This thread's been quiet for a bit, so thought I'd add that I started watching the tv series "24" on Netflix streaming for the first time, as with snow storms DVDs weren't getting here as expected & lots of down time.

Probably the last person on the planet who's never really watched 24.  I can see why people liked it - quite addictive - already went through season 1.  Season 2 doesn't seem to be as frenetic, but still entertaining - and in Dolby Digital unlike season 1.

Saw an ad on TV that seems like a new series is on the way.  Guess I'l just have to get through all 8 seasons before then, God help me!

JoshK

« Reply #63 on: 4 Mar 2014, 10:43 pm »
in Canada we have less selection than other places - although the selection is growing.  Two I don't see listed that I enjoyed on netflix in the past year are:

Justified (a southern US police series with great characters)
Jericho - a post atomic attack series set in US midwest (I think) with interesting story, some weak plot lines but had me hooked for 2 seasons worth.  Have read they will make more now after 6-7 years off.

I am living in Canada now too.  There is a very well known work around for getting US, UK or any other preferred Netflix.  The easiest way is to use Hola in google chrome, but any virtual IP will do the trick. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #64 on: 4 Mar 2014, 10:51 pm »
I've used VPN In Touch (http://www.vpnintouch.com) when I traveled abroad so I could watch Netflix streaming / HBO Go / etc.  Works like a charm to connect as if you were in the US or UK, and you can buy monthly ($5) if you want to try it or don't think you'll need it long term ($30 a year).  Same account works for multiple devices (iPhone / iPads / PCs, mac as well). 

ajzepp

« Reply #65 on: 5 Mar 2014, 04:29 am »
This thread's been quiet for a bit, so thought I'd add that I started watching the tv series "24" on Netflix streaming for the first time, as with snow storms DVDs weren't getting here as expected & lots of down time.

Probably the last person on the planet who's never really watched 24.  I can see why people liked it - quite addictive - already went through season 1.  Season 2 doesn't seem to be as frenetic, but still entertaining - and in Dolby Digital unlike season 1.

Saw an ad on TV that seems like a new series is on the way.  Guess I'l just have to get through all 8 seasons before then, God help me!

I never re-watch anything, but 24 is something I loved so much that I've often been very close to watching particular seasons over again.

I thought S2 was really good, so hang in there!

Chazro

« Reply #66 on: 26 Apr 2014, 07:34 pm »
This being an Audio site, I'll assume most of us are music-lovers.  New on Netflix; '20 Feet From Stardom'.  An outstanding documentary about the history of background singers.  It deservedly won an Oscar.  Very entertaining and interesting, full of juicy info!

ajzepp

« Reply #67 on: 27 Apr 2014, 04:05 am »
I agree, I loved that film. I bought Lisa Fischer's album from the 90s after watching it...really good flick.

wushuliu

« Reply #68 on: 27 Apr 2014, 06:57 am »
This being an Audio site, I'll assume most of us are music-lovers.  New on Netflix; '20 Feet From Stardom'.  An outstanding documentary about the history of background singers.  It deservedly won an Oscar.  Very entertaining and interesting, full of juicy info!

Yes, a *must* see for any music lover.

stlrman

« Reply #69 on: 18 May 2014, 02:43 am »
Don't miss Cutie and The Boxer!! :thumb:
Fantastic Doc about two artist.

wushuliu

« Reply #70 on: 18 May 2014, 03:04 am »
Don't miss Cutie and The Boxer!! :thumb:
Fantastic Doc about two artist.

Oof we started watching that one the other day and it was a little bit too depressing for us especially when the Sun showed up and we had to stop it but it is a very very interesting documentary.

GerryD

« Reply #71 on: 18 May 2014, 09:37 pm »
I recommend "Muscle Shoals".  Good documentary about the legendary recording studio.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #72 on: 18 May 2014, 10:49 pm »
"Beware of Mr. Baker" is worth watching if you are a Cream fan. Ginger Baker would never have made it in the diplomatic corps.

dougme57

« Reply #73 on: 20 May 2014, 04:33 pm »
Has anyone mentioned Dexter, my wife and I are loving it. And Prison Break was another great one.

Photon46

« Reply #74 on: 20 May 2014, 05:57 pm »
For those of you who enjoy quirky films and good food, "Jiro dreams of Sushi" is a really interesting documentary about a man obsessed with being the best at what he does. I learned a bit more about sushi watching this one. Jiro is the fellow in the center.

Photon46

« Reply #75 on: 20 May 2014, 06:00 pm »
"Beware of Mr. Baker" is worth watching if you are a Cream fan. Ginger Baker would never have made it in the diplomatic corps.

We watched that couple nights ago, very interesting. A case study that clearly illustrates how great artists can be really disagreeable and self destructive people.

JEaton

« Reply #76 on: 27 May 2014, 03:39 pm »
I recommend "Muscle Shoals".  Good documentary about the legendary recording studio.

I just watched this, although not on Netflix. It's fantastic.

ajzepp

« Reply #77 on: 29 May 2014, 06:49 am »
Okay, this film was really good, but it's a major sausage fest so don't make the same mistake I did and watch it on a huge projection screen lol.

dougme57

« Reply #78 on: 29 May 2014, 02:55 pm »
Muscle Shoals was awesome! Also watched Senna, a must see.

Photon46

« Reply #79 on: 29 May 2014, 03:57 pm »
Another interesting documentary I just watched is Bigger, Stronger, Faster (it got around a 96% positive rating on Rotten Tomato's critic's ratings.) It's about the film maker's perception that America's blanket condemnation of steroid use in sport is hypocritical and isn't based on sound reasoning and science. Whatever you think about the subject, it's a fascinating look at America's obsession with being bigger, stronger, and faster.

« Last Edit: 29 May 2014, 10:51 pm by Photon46 »