tomytoons

Re: Phono-1 MkII - AudioCircle Limited Edition
« Reply #60 on: 4 Jun 2013, 11:00 pm »
nt
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2013, 02:09 pm by tomytoons »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #61 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:53 pm »
Boris, please reply to me when you are able at jimdgoulding@yahoo.com.  I wish to purchase and don't seem to be able to negotiate the links at your site.  Thanks, Jim. 

Audiovista

« Reply #62 on: 25 Jun 2013, 01:05 am »
Boris, please reply to me when you are able at jimdgoulding@yahoo.com.  I wish to purchase and don't seem to be able to negotiate the links at your site.  Thanks, Jim.

I am finally back home! Jim - thank you for the order.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: 25 Jun 2013, 01:10 am »
Look forward to the feedback Jim.  What do you have now?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #64 on: 25 Jun 2013, 11:59 am »
Haha, I will never retire... luckilly, people pay me to do the other thing I also love - high frequency switching power supplies...

Better power supply would probably be beneficial (I would not expect dramatic changes, so this should be considered low priority), but it should be a DC supply that connects directly to the DC supply inside the unit (±15 to ±18V). I would need to figure out how to make that connection without too much mess.

I was wondering if you made any progress on that power supply connection.  Wasn't that top priority while you were on vacation?   :wink:

Did you ever spec the S/N on the Phono-1 MkII?  I didn't see it on the web site.  I guess it would vary with gain.
neo

Airborn

« Reply #65 on: 1 Jul 2013, 09:28 am »
I'm interested in the Vista MkII ACLE, but am wondering about the different loading options for my MM carts because I have quite a few budget MM, including a Shure M97xe, Denon DL-110, AT 440-MLa and AT 150-MLx.  Should I get the Vista preset for my preferred cart (the AT 150MLx) or is there a setting that would be good for all these carts?  Am I going to have to change input resistors and capacitors every time I want to use my other cartridges?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #66 on: 1 Jul 2013, 09:46 am »
Look forward to the feedback Jim.  What do you have now?
A Monolithic Sound phono pre.  My new Shelter 501II MC cartridge is breaking in with it now so I should be better able to compare when the Vista gets here in a week or so.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: 1 Jul 2013, 11:23 am »
A Monolithic Sound phono pre.  My new Shelter 501II MC cartridge is breaking in with it now so I should be better able to compare when the Vista gets here in a week or so.
Cool

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #68 on: 1 Jul 2013, 11:24 am »
I'm interested in the Vista MkII ACLE, but am wondering about the different loading options for my MM carts because I have quite a few budget MM, including a Shure M97xe, Denon DL-110, AT 440-MLa and AT 150-MLx.  Should I get the Vista preset for my preferred cart (the AT 150MLx) or is there a setting that would be good for all these carts?  Am I going to have to change input resistors and capacitors every time I want to use my other cartridges?
If the settings are all different then yes, you will need to change resistors as required.  OR, you can buy 3 Phono-1 MKII's and have a dedicated one for each.   :wink:

tomytoons

« Reply #69 on: 1 Jul 2013, 12:32 pm »
nt

« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2013, 02:10 pm by tomytoons »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #70 on: 1 Jul 2013, 12:49 pm »

IMO you should get a custom configuration for resistance and an auxiliary set of capacitors.  A stock M97 is flatter at 62Kohm/250pF total capacitance.

The 150MLX is usually loaded 42 to 47K, but capacitance should be < 200pF.  Capacitance includes internal arm wire + cables + preamp. 

DL-110 is somewhere between 1K and 47K.  Capacitance shouldn't matter.

You can order it so that the value of your plug-in resistors is the final value.  62K for the M97 is taken from many users preference.  It fills in some drooping treble, but 250pF should be maintained.  Depending on your table, capacitance varies usually between 75 and 150pF.  So 50pF default for the AT and an additional 100pF for the Shure?
neo

Airborn

« Reply #71 on: 1 Jul 2013, 11:38 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Tomytoons, I know I said I have all MM, but I realize the DL-110 is HOMC.  It's just that I use it on the MM setting with my Cambridge 640P b/c the output is so high, so I usually don't think of it as a MC.  I have a Technics 1210 M5G with the upgraded tone arm wiring, so I think neo is correct that I should get a lower default capacitance of 50pf or so for use with my preferred cart, the AT 150 MLx.  Then I can plug in resistors to get the correct loading if I want to change carts.  I guess I should call Boris and see what he recommends. :duh:

tomytoons

« Reply #72 on: 2 Jul 2013, 12:21 am »
nt
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2013, 02:10 pm by tomytoons »

MaxCast

« Reply #73 on: 2 Jul 2013, 10:46 am »
Can anyone that has one of these take a pic as to what is actually required to change a resistor?
Do they actually plug in?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #74 on: 2 Jul 2013, 11:07 am »
Can anyone that has one of these take a pic as to what is actually required to change a resistor?
Do they actually plug in?

http://vista-audio.com/products/phono-1mkII/settings.htm

and for more technical reading: http://vista-audio.com/products/phono-1mkII/why_optimize.htm

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #75 on: 2 Jul 2013, 11:15 am »
Unlike parallel resistors, the final value of which must be calculated, capacitor values in parallel are additive.  If the minimal value to be used is ordered for default (in this case 50pF?),  then using an additional 100pF would yield a total value of 150pF.  This is assuming 100pF for the internal arm wire and cables. 

I'm not sure about the physical location of additional capacitors, maybe they can be attached to load resistors.  Resistors are inexpensive and in this case 100pF caps could be soldered on to a set of 62K resistors for a final value of 62K + 150pF.  Otherwise, maybe they could be stuffed into the sockets along with the resistors.

I'm afraid that modifications we're asking for, including my power supply question, might of necessity drive up the price of Vista Phono 1 MKII, if implemented.  After thinking about it, these considerations aren't a deal breaker for me and maybe I'll get my order in sooner rather than later.  I have an old 24V DC supply from a Sota Sapphire that I could use, but it might not even be the correct voltage for DC.  12V AC might be a challenge to upgrade, but I'm not sure it needs it.
neo

JackD

« Reply #77 on: 2 Jul 2013, 02:19 pm »
MaxCast

Changing the resistors is easy.  I have probably done it over a dozen times.  Just need a steady hand and either tweezers or small needle nose pliers.  If you have a larger electronics parts supplier in you area you can buy the resistors for about $1.50 a pair and tweek to any value below 47k you want.  As to the capacitance, I had both of mine set to 50pf. You can always add.  The capacitors though cannot be stuffed into the sockets with the resistors.  If you had the rare cartridge, mostly from the 70's, that need higher capacitance, then to me loading plugs are an easier solution.  As a rule MC's and the Grado's are not capacitance sensitive unless you go crazy.

Jack

MaxCast

« Reply #78 on: 2 Jul 2013, 05:22 pm »
Thank you for that.  To remove you grip with small needle nose and pull out?

tomytoons

« Reply #79 on: 2 Jul 2013, 05:43 pm »
I highly recommend the Vista and will continue to.
Some people look at you skeptical and stupid make accusations because you enthusiastically recommend something.
In that case it is their loss.

When I deleted my posts here I was ripped at someone else on another board but these people are on all boards.
So I will just keep things to myself from here on in. Yes, I get "thin skinned" at times.

« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2013, 12:44 pm by tomytoons »