JE Labs open baffle advice?

irishpatrick33

JE Labs open baffle advice?
« on: 2 Oct 2009, 11:29 pm »
Hello,
I am going to build a JE Labs style open baffle with Wild Burro Betsy's at the heart. I know JE Labs may not be the right name for it, but it's become accepted to refer to them as such.

Anyway, I was wondering if people around here had experience and advice regarding the build. There are a few issues that I am pondering. One issue is finding the best decoupling method. I was tempted to just put some Dynamat in between the driver and the baffle, but wonder if there's a better option.

I have seen some recomendations like building the top plate all of the way across the top and adding a horizontal brace on the back near the bottom.

But any info is appreciated. Thanks

rjbond3rd

Re: JE Labs open baffle advice?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2009, 01:04 am »
Hi Patrick, I'm starting something similar.  My plan is to add shallow spines on to the back of the baffle, each at 90 degree angle, for rigidity.

I'm using the Visaton B200 at the moment.  I am pondering the Mark Audio drivers though.

mor2bz

Re: JE Labs open baffle advice?
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2009, 12:06 am »
irishp      i have built these and found that they are not angled back far enough.
do a mock up in cardboard and you will find the same thing.  make the side pieces
a couple inches longer and that will slant it back.    if you really are sitting 15 or more
feet away of course you don't have to think about this.

i put the top brace all the way across.  it all depends on how much bass you want.
if you are using a nontube amp you may want the full brace.

get some frostking duct insulation from wallmart and line the inside with it. that will make
for a really dead baffle and only add 16$ to the cost.

let us know how you like them.