ModWright Integrated

pingpong

Re: ModWright Integrated
« Reply #120 on: 18 Dec 2013, 03:13 pm »
"Looking for a pair of speaker to match the KWI 200".

You have no worries, the KWI-200 has plenty of  power, finesse and headroom to drive virtually any speaker, so sit back and enjoy this amp it is a gem.

Hi Maxboy00,

thank you for the reply. I have no doubt that the KWI 200 will have no problem driving the 7T, my only concern is the synergy between them.

Cheers

maxboy00

« Reply #121 on: 19 Dec 2013, 11:51 pm »
Pingpong,

I have no knowledge of the Aerial 7T's, beyond from what I have read about them. . . very nice speakers indeed. The KWI-200 does have some warmth to it so if that something you like in an amp than I suspect that you will have good results since lack of power is not an issue.

My speakers are from Selah Audio and I have great results with the Modwright IA.

Hope that helps!

pingpong

« Reply #122 on: 23 Dec 2013, 04:35 pm »
Hi maxboy,

Thank you for your input.

Merry Christmas!

Cheers

Pingpong,

I have no knowledge of the Aerial 7T's, beyond from what I have read about them. . . very nice speakers indeed. The KWI-200 does have some warmth to it so if that something you like in an amp than I suspect that you will have good results since lack of power is not an issue.

My speakers are from Selah Audio and I have great results with the Modwright IA.

Hope that helps!

maxboy00

« Reply #123 on: 28 Feb 2014, 02:26 am »
What you can do, is actually operate the KWI 200 as a straight amplifier, via the 'Bypass' inputs.  In this mode, you could run your preamp/DAC, straight into the Bypass inputs of the amp and control volume from the preamp.  This will bypass the internal preamp stage in the KWI 200.

We have done it with all of our tube preamps, in conjunction with the KWI 200 as a straight amplifier and it also works FANTASTIC this way.

Thanks!

Dan

After much delay and thought I purchased a LS-100 and bypassed the PA in the KWI-200, this being my first experience with anything tubed, and so far  the change is quite noticeable and there has been a  marked improvements in overall sound.  I was skeptical that adding a tube PA would make much of a difference , since the I find the KWI-200 to be an excellent IA to begin with, but clearly I was wrong. So in the  end I have the needed power of the KWI-200 and benefit of a first class PA.   

modwright

« Reply #124 on: 9 Mar 2014, 01:26 am »
I am glad that you are enjoying our products!

The KWI 200 is a great power amp and integrated.  It is true that there is something special about tubes in the preamp and solid state amplification.

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Dan Wright

MrBrix

« Reply #125 on: 9 Mar 2014, 01:59 am »
Just to add my .02 cents here Modwright tubed linestage paired with a modwright power amp delivers nothing but the musical truth! Yup I know it first hand. As a matter of fact as I write this I am listening to Steel Pulse jamming through the LS 36.5 DM paired with a pair of KWA 150 signature series driving my Vandersteen 5As. And that is the whole musical truth. Have not looked back since I discovered the first modwright gear.

Ije Osuagwu

gadawg

« Reply #126 on: 17 Mar 2014, 08:28 pm »
I'm new to the forum and my KWI-200 but all I can say about the amp is WOW and its not even properly broken in yet! Running it with Golden Ear Triton 2's also new and they match up really well. Thanks for such a great product! Can't imagine them being much better but I'm guessing after break in it will get even better!  :D

kneat

« Reply #127 on: 26 Mar 2014, 03:46 am »
I recently purchased a pair of Salk Soundscape 8s (3-way; 87 db sensitivity; 4 ohm) and am considering a KWI200 as an integrated with some warmth. I have 2 questions:

1. What are the benefits of pairing a preamp with the KWI200 as some have mentioned here rather than pairing with a regular power amp such as KWA100/150?

2. If my only sources are CDP and computer, could I connect a tubed external DAC directly to a KWA150SE and skip the preamp?

Terry

modwright

« Reply #128 on: 31 Mar 2014, 07:23 pm »
Hi, to answer your question, you can pair the KWI 200, 100SE or 150SE with a preamp. You can also run the KWI 200 as a straight integrated.  If your source has a volume control, you can also run it straight into any of our amps, including the 150SE.

The reason that some people find benefit in pairing the KWI 200 with a tube preamp is that it sounds better.  The preamp section in the KWI 200 is SS.  I did this to meet the price-point.

Thanks,

Dan

JMosch

« Reply #129 on: 1 Apr 2014, 07:35 pm »
I recently purchased a pair of Salk Soundscape 8s (3-way; 87 db sensitivity; 4 ohm) and am considering a KWI200 as an integrated with some warmth. I have 2 questions:

1. What are the benefits of pairing a preamp with the KWI200 as some have mentioned here rather than pairing with a regular power amp such as KWA100/150?

2. If my only sources are CDP and computer, could I connect a tubed external DAC directly to a KWA150SE and skip the preamp?

Terry

I think the answer you are looking for (question 1) is none. If you are starting with no equipment and want a tubed pre, then better to pair it with a 100 or 150. No point in buying an integrated and wasting the pre-amp section.

If I started with the integrated and then decided the tubed pre sounds better, I would sell the pre and get a power amp.

The Rang

« Reply #130 on: 2 Jun 2015, 03:29 am »
Bought the IA about 10 months ago to power my old KEFs.
Now their woofers need work so I'm debating between fixing and replacing.
One contender are the Focal Aria 900 series.
Never been a Focal or metal tweeter fan in the past, but what I heard in the showroom impressed me especially when driven by a big NAD IA (not so good with BAT gear, sloppy bass). And there are big discounts because they're changing the walnut finish.

Plan to haul the KWI200 to the store for a listen.

Does anyone here have any experience using the MW with Focal speakers?

talk2me

« Reply #131 on: 2 Jul 2015, 04:32 pm »
I am glad that you are enjoying our products!

The KWI 200 is a great power amp and integrated.  It is true that there is something HEAVENLY about tubes in the preamp and solid state amplification.

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Dan Wright

fixed. :D