Genesis Physics speakers

rcag_ils

Genesis Physics speakers
« on: 29 Nov 2014, 01:52 am »
There were time in the HiFi history, certain product did not get the kind of recognition that they deserved, and Genesis Physics speaker was one of them.

I bought my first pair of Genesis 20 speakers from a young salesman named Scott Jacob at the Sound of Music store ( now Best Buy company) in Minnesota back in fall 1982. I listened to them through the years, had them with me during my career with the U.S. Air Force, then at the East coast, then back to Minnesota. They finally were put in storage due to woofer foam rotted out in 1995 or so. I re-foamed both of them in 2004, and listened to them on and off in my second system, then were put back in storage again.

I bought three more pairs at the local thrift store, they all had woofers with rotted foam, they are the Genesis 1+, 1 and a newer version of the 1.

I re-foamed the 1's just recently, and hooked them up yesterday for playing Christmas music. I was totally surprised by the soundstage that they threw at me, the detail, mid range at all. Their tweeters were known to have very wide off-axis dispersion, I have them at 20-25 degree toe in, and 15 inches from the back wall, 8 feet or so apart, and they sound amazing for all kinds of music. Genesis Physics sold many speakers during their heyday, I guess due to the heavy competition at the time, their reputation was buried beneath the ocean of other speakers.

It makes me wonder why should one pays thousands of dollars for today's new speakers?

jlawson1977

Re: Genesis Physics speakers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2014, 10:37 am »
I had the Genesis III's for many years.  Bought them used in '79 for $250.  Completely rebuilt them with all new drivers and crossover parts in '89.  Kept them for 5 more years, then sadly sold them before a move.  Wish I still had them today  :(

mcp

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2014, 11:58 am »
I agree...over the past few years, I've tried dozens of vintage speakers, but the Genesis II's were my favorite. Great inverted tweeter and tremendous bass  - even at low levels. A real sleeper as you can usually find them cheap. I was amazed, too, at how good the 33's were because they looked kind of cheap. After re-foaming, they were probably even better than the II's.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2014, 02:52 pm »
An informative site for Genesis fans:

http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/

FireGuy

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2014, 04:37 pm »
I agree...over the past few years, I've tried dozens of vintage speakers, but the Genesis II's were my favorite. Great inverted tweeter and tremendous bass  - even at low levels. A real sleeper as you can usually find them cheap. I was amazed, too, at how good the 33's were because they looked kind of cheap. After re-foaming, they were probably even better than the II's.

I cannot remember the model number of pair of Genesis bookshelf  (circa 1980) that I heard and will confirm what is being said here...their presentation was remarkable.  I'd my say my first taste of high-end audio, I was drawn to them.  I had a pair of Sansui SP-5500X which were rather larger...the Genesis beat them in every respect expect for the dynamics.  Sure would like to hear those again with a modern upgrade.   

milford3

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2014, 07:03 am »
I cannot remember the model number of pair of Genesis bookshelf  (circa 1980) that I heard and will confirm what is being said here...their presentation was remarkable.  I'd my say my first taste of high-end audio, I was drawn to them.  I had a pair of Sansui SP-5500X which were rather larger...the Genesis beat them in every respect expect for the dynamics.  Sure would like to hear those again with a modern upgrade.   

FireGuy, the model number you heard were the Genesis 11's.  Here you go.

« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2014, 08:36 pm by milford3 »

jlawson1977

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2014, 10:55 am »

rcag_ils

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2014, 10:55 pm »
Sure would like to hear those again with a modern upgrade

I haven't done anything else to mine other than re-foaming the woofers. Since all drivers were manufactured in their factory to Genesis spec., the crossover is very simple. For most models, there are only one coil and one cap, the cap is the inexpensive type. Each speaker came with it's one freq. response chart from the testing, it was kind of cool. I may brace the cabinets as recommended by the website.

The Genesis 11 line came out towards the end, I remember seeing the Genesis 44 on displace at the Best Buy in 1986

bummrush

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2014, 12:46 am »
I bought my first stere at Sound of Music in Minneapolis in 1976 Sony reciver Philips tt and Infinity 3 ways. $1200 give or take from what i remember

rcag_ils

« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2014, 01:55 am »
Yep, I vaguely remember seeing the Infinity with the EMIT tweeter at Sound of Music in the early 80's, didn't know they had Infinity back in 1976.

I compared the Polk Audio monitor 10 at Audio King, and the Genesis 20 at Sound of Music, drove back and forth a few times. The salesman at Sound of Music dropped the price for the Genesis 20 down to $199 each, and I bought them. The Polk were about $275 each or so.