BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Device

vonnie123

Re: BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Divice
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2015, 05:34 pm »
@James Tanner

The upgraded BDP-2 looks quite improved.  Has Bryston considered an upgrade path (or trade in program) for the early adopters with the BDP-1.  Both are great devices. 

Embla

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2015, 08:17 pm »
Hi Antun

No sorry the BDP-1 will not take the new Bryston integrated audio device only the BDP-2.

james

Embla

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jun 2015, 08:20 pm »
I was wondering if the new card comes with the BDP1usb or if only the BDP-2 (as I have) and who to contact again to order one. Oh and will its benefits be noticed if using only the usb outputs to your dacs.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2015, 10:00 pm »
I was wondering if the new card comes with the BDP1usb or if only the BDP-2 (as I have) and who to contact again to order one. Oh and will its benefits be noticed if using only the usb outputs to your dacs.

Hi

If you are only using the USB out there is no advantage to the new card.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2015, 11:06 pm »
Hi James,
So is there is an audio improvement with the new card or just improved tech stuff.
debating whether its like power cables or any cable as far as some say there is an audible improvement and some say no.
Been the PC route and that's where I'm at..Bryston cabling which is as good as anything I've tried and were talkin lots and pricey.
I have the BDP-2 and have been mulling over whether to upgrade.
So what say you ...YEA or NAY..THX.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jun 2015, 12:13 am »
Hi James,
So is there is an audio improvement with the new card or just improved tech stuff.
debating whether its like power cables or any cable as far as some say there is an audible improvement and some say no.
Been the PC route and that's where I'm at..Bryston cabling which is as good as anything I've tried and were talkin lots and pricey.
I have the BDP-2 and have been mulling over whether to upgrade.
So what say you ...YEA or NAY..THX.

Hi Don

Yes, I think it is a worthwhile upgrade.

james
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2015, 12:39 am by James Tanner »

bjski

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jun 2015, 12:13 am »
Yea!!!!!

dgarratt

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jun 2015, 11:04 am »
Hi James,

I only purchased my BDP-2 a few months ago  :scratch: How much will this upgraded card cost?

cheers, david-

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jun 2015, 11:29 am »
Hi James,

I only purchased my BDP-2 a few months ago  :scratch: How much will this upgraded card cost?

cheers, david-

Depending on where you are - In N.America it is $500

james

Samurai7595

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jun 2015, 11:43 am »

james

James, what's the process for ordering one from Montreal (QC) if I wanted to get it directly from Bryston and what payment options does Bryston offer?

dgarratt

« Reply #30 on: 30 Jun 2015, 11:47 am »

james

James, do you know if these have started shipping internationally yet? I'm in Australia.

cheers-

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 30 Jun 2015, 11:59 am »
James, what's the process for ordering one from Montreal (QC) if I wanted to get it directly from Bryston and what payment options does Bryston offer?

Hi

Just email Mike at Bryston.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 30 Jun 2015, 12:00 pm »
James, do you know if these have started shipping internationally yet? I'm in Australia.

cheers-

We have started shipping world wide - we have a new distributor in Australia so please check with them.

BusiSoft AV Pty Ltd
Suite 4, 792-796 High Street, Kew East, VIC 3102
Ph: +613 9810 2900
Email: info@busisoft.com.au
www.busisoft.com.au

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 8 Jul 2015, 12:48 am »
Hi James.

Installed the new Bryston card and it is fantastic really.

Noise floor has droped, details are better and bass is fantastic. These findings are in my setup, so don't know if everybody will have the same change. I'm using AES/EBU.
This is so much better that you should rename the BDP-2 with the new card to BDP-2.1, as older reviews done using AES/EBU with the old card is outdated!

Great work!!!

Regards,
Stig

bjski

« Reply #34 on: 8 Jul 2015, 01:19 am »
Couldn't agree more. The new card is a major leap forward.

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #35 on: 9 Jul 2015, 03:03 pm »
The Bryston Integrated Audio Card should be considered an essential upgrade.

My initial observations of the new card from a posting under the BDP-2 Thread were: "This is an essential upgrade to the BDP-2, especially for systems having high resolution. The new card simply seems to stay out of the way of the music. I was jotting down a few notes while listening and the first noticeable improvement is how much quite the back ground is, the noise floor has really been lowered (which I did not think possible after listening the first card). The sound stage is huge, both in width and depth. There is greater delineation of fine musical details. Notes seem suspended on a cushion of air with the space between notes better delineated. Micro and macro dynamics are improved and impressive (likely due to the lowered noise floor). Very subtile fine details in music are clearly delineated with this card (no need to lean into the music, just sit back and lots of detail will unfold naturally). Pitch definition is improved, especially in the lower frequencies. There is improved extension, delineation, and definition of low frequencies. All in all this new audio card is a spectacular achievement and elevates the already fine performance of the BDP-2 to a new level. Highly recommended upgrade!"

Having spent more time listening, I feel the factor that is vastly improved with the new integrated audio card is the lowering of timing errors. Timing errors will smear the sound causing a loss of focus and pitch definition. As I have been listening, I was struck by a similarity of the improved pitch definition of the new integrated audio card to my experience listening to a Meridian MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) lossless audio format technology demonstration. The Meridian MQA technology is impressive and one goal of this lossless audio format is to greatly reduce timing errors. One of the cuts demonstrated was Roberta Flack's Killing Me Softly With His Song. Without MQA, the kick drum has a bloated unfocused sound, but with MQA, the drum was focus with vastly improved pitch definition. The same is now heard with this particular cut with the new Bryston Integrated Audio Card. The drum is taut, focused, with vastly improved pitch definition (176/24 file). Vocals now have an organic quality due to lack of smearing. Cymbals have a more natural sound (an instrument that was murdered when digital was introduced), but the reason was partially due to timing errors in the digital signals. I consider the new integrated audio card a crowning achievement for Bryston's engineering team. Once heard, there will be no turning back!

Norton

« Reply #36 on: 9 Jul 2015, 06:50 pm »
Just fitted mine, looked a bit daunting for my DIY skills but seemed to go fine with the detailed instructions.

Not sure what the little "Lollipop" device is for (no mention in instructions) maybe to hold small screws while attaching?

From limited listening  so far +1 to all the previous comments.  Plus, the new card does play DSD64 over Spdif if you check the box under audio devices as you would any compatible  USB device.

EJS73

« Reply #37 on: 9 Jul 2015, 08:54 pm »
Norton, that's a coincidence, I also installed the board this evening.

Cheers

EJ

Norton

« Reply #38 on: 9 Jul 2015, 08:59 pm »
What do you think of SQ with new board?

richter250

« Reply #39 on: 9 Jul 2015, 11:11 pm »
I just received my kit to upgrade the BDP-2 with the new card.  But...no instructions!  Can anyone help?