$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

vinylvalet

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #3640 on: 6 Mar 2015, 08:43 pm »
dr_skoobie,

Use this email, support@classdaudio.com, to contact Tom and see if he's willing to give you his phone number.

wim1983

« Reply #3641 on: 7 Mar 2015, 03:47 am »
I'm from Malaysia, currently having a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, amplified via Marantz PM6005, distort when volume pass 12 o'clock, also feel that the speakers need more juice, thus I have ordered SDS-400C since got offer price, I'm using JDS Labs ODAC, no preamp yet, any to recommend? What happen if I drive directly using ODAC?

rvsixer

« Reply #3642 on: 9 May 2015, 07:45 pm »
SOLD:

I read the posting guidelines and don't think this is against forum rules (its non-commercial and not linked outside of this site).  If this is not cool, please let me know and or remove post at once:

Class D kit for sale:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134492.0

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 11 May 2015, 03:04 pm by rvsixer »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3643 on: 11 May 2015, 02:56 pm »
While not specifically forbidden, it's sort of bad form to link your for sale ad in the middle of someone else's thread.  That's what the for sale section is for.  However it's not an egregious offence and could actually help someone that might be looking for a kit, so I wouldn't ask that you remove it.  In fact if it was a completed kit I might have been interested, lol.  No worries.

rvsixer

« Reply #3644 on: 11 May 2015, 03:08 pm »
While not specifically forbidden, it's sort of bad form to link your for sale ad in the middle of someone else's thread.  That's what the for sale section is for.  However it's not an egregious offence and could actually help someone that might be looking for a kit, so I wouldn't ask that you remove it.  In fact if it was a completed kit I might have been interested, lol.  No worries.
Well the item in question *is* the subject of the thread, and indeed helped someone out here.  All good.

wim1983

« Reply #3645 on: 18 May 2015, 10:09 am »
I'm from Malaysia, currently having a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, amplified via Marantz PM6005, distort when volume pass 12 o'clock, also feel that the speakers need more juice, thus I have ordered SDS-400C since got offer price, I'm using JDS Labs ODAC, no preamp yet, any to recommend? What happen if I drive directly using ODAC?

Hi guys, I had bought Class D Audio SDS 400C, overall I'm very impressed with it, but I have some "fan" noise coming from the amp, from time to time, though not often, and it just comes out for like few minutes? Any thoughts? Can guide me how to fix this? I've try to contact Class D Audio, but there is no response, anybody know what's going on? :duh:

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #3646 on: 18 May 2015, 01:26 pm »
Hi guys, I had bought Class D Audio SDS 400C, overall I'm very impressed with it, but I have some "fan" noise coming from the amp, from time to time, though not often, and it just comes out for like few minutes? Any thoughts? Can guide me how to fix this? I've try to contact Class D Audio, but there is no response, anybody know what's going on? :duh:

Are you saying there is a "fan" noise coming from amp chassis? Or is it a fan-like noise coming from you speakers? Curious, since I don' t believe the amp has a fan. If coming from the chassis it could be some transformer noise. I get this from the toroid transformers my subwoofer amps whenever my wife has her hair iron plugged in... drove me nuts trying to troubleshoot since the iron turns on/off to maintain temp. Doesn't really sound like a fan, but makes a buzzing sound that I suppose might sound fan-like in your case.

wim1983

« Reply #3647 on: 18 May 2015, 05:04 pm »
Are you saying there is a "fan" noise coming from amp chassis? Or is it a fan-like noise coming from you speakers? Curious, since I don' t believe the amp has a fan. If coming from the chassis it could be some transformer noise. I get this from the toroid transformers my subwoofer amps whenever my wife has her hair iron plugged in... drove me nuts trying to troubleshoot since the iron turns on/off to maintain temp. Doesn't really sound like a fan, but makes a buzzing sound that I suppose might sound fan-like in your case.

Yes, exactly :P  How do you solve that? :duh: :D

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #3648 on: 18 May 2015, 05:24 pm »
Yes, exactly :P  How do you solve that? :duh: :D

I usually go in the basement and trip the circuit breaker for the upstairs bathroom, then tell my wife she needs to stop using that hair iron  :icon_twisted:

Just kidding of course. You need to kill the source or use a "humbuster" of some sort, such as:

Audio by Van Alstine "HumDinger": http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=270&Itemid=239

or

Emotiva CMX-2: https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/cmx-2

wpope

« Reply #3649 on: 24 May 2015, 02:07 am »
I have an SDS-440C and recently tried shorting plugs on the unused RCA inputs, a tweak that's supposed to keep out unwanted EMF/RF.  It seemed the worst that could happen would be no detectable sonic benefit, but instead it seemed to degrade the sound and require increased output from the preamp to maintain volume.  Has anyone else experienced this, and does the toggle switch for balanced/unbalanced make this totally unnecessary in the first place?

Thanks.

wim1983

« Reply #3650 on: 30 May 2015, 09:33 am »
I have an SDS-440C and recently tried shorting plugs on the unused RCA inputs, a tweak that's supposed to keep out unwanted EMF/RF.  It seemed the worst that could happen would be no detectable sonic benefit, but instead it seemed to degrade the sound and require increased output from the preamp to maintain volume.  Has anyone else experienced this, and does the toggle switch for balanced/unbalanced make this totally unnecessary in the first place?

Thanks.

hmm, recently I have found some more problems with my SDS-440C, some weird hiss hum from the speakers, the toroidal sound still appear from time to time, the hiss hum is hearable, something serious happen here, but I dunno what to do, as I'm order from Malaysia, if to send it back :duh:, also the problem does not happen so often, but it did pop out from time to time, I'll continue use see what next. Anybody can advice what to do? Something related to power? Power cable?

Audiophile58

« Reply #3651 on: 31 May 2015, 09:18 am »
If any of you guys have single driver or very sensitive speakers Temple Audio use  the Analog devise module which use 8 mosfets per channel .25 wpc in their Bantam Gold 40 into 4 or 2 ohms
High quality sound . They have the dual mono bantam 1  amps with passive preamp and a pre out.
Just. Wanted to mention hand built made in the U.K quality and later in the year. You will
See more products .the is especially geared to the single driver guys.

giskard

« Reply #3652 on: 2 Jun 2015, 12:15 am »
Sorry I'l late to this party.
Whose class D chips do the classdaudio.com guys use?

giskard

« Reply #3653 on: 2 Jun 2015, 12:18 am »
addendum: I see one of their beefier ones use TI.
Do they use others' as well?

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #3654 on: 2 Jun 2015, 12:43 pm »
addendum: I see one of their beefier ones use TI.
Do they use others' as well?

The CDA and SDS amps are generally regarded as their best-sounding designs and are based on IR chips.

wim1983

« Reply #3655 on: 7 Jun 2015, 06:02 am »
Hi guys, I think that the SDS-400C is working just fine, instead is my speakers the problem, though I still got the minor hum problem from the toroidal transformer, should I change to a better toroidal transformer? This amp is so deadly pinpoint accurate about what's wrong with our system, especially mostly will be speakers is the limitation. Also should I use a preamp to do some filter like roll off, noise reduction etc?

e_biz80

« Reply #3656 on: 11 Jun 2015, 07:04 pm »
3 FC panasonic caps of 1800MuF each, in parallel, are connected between de (+) and the earth input screw

pins, 3 other ones between the earth and the (-) pins.The mod is very simple to complete,one hour work is really a maximum.

Has anyone else done this mod and how is it holding up?
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2015, 02:44 pm by e_biz80 »

wim1983

« Reply #3657 on: 19 Jun 2015, 11:22 am »
I've sent several emails, still no reply from Class D Audio. I dun want to say this, but it's horrible service. The toroidal transformer hum problem still there. I've lost faith in Class D Audio, totally helpless :duh:, I'll have to look else where, good sound but bad service is just what I can said :duh:

krikor

• AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #3658 on: 19 Jun 2015, 01:06 pm »
I've sent several emails, still no reply from Class D Audio. I dun want to say this, but it's horrible service. The toroidal transformer hum problem still there. I've lost faith in Class D Audio, totally helpless :duh:, I'll have to look else where, good sound but bad service is just what I can said :duh:

Question: have you tried taking the amp to a different location (friend's house, work, etc.) and plugging it in to see if the hum is present? That way you know if the issue is with the transformer or something in your home power/wiring.

wim1983

« Reply #3659 on: 19 Jun 2015, 01:19 pm »
Question: have you tried taking the amp to a different location (friend's house, work, etc.) and plugging it in to see if the hum is present? That way you know if the issue is with the transformer or something in your home power/wiring.

hmm maybe I can't blame the amp, I've read that all toroidal transformer did hum, even good ones, if I'm not doing nearfield critical listening, I won't bother ask for help, yes I've tried at my hometown, the problem pop out whenever it want, no particular logic when it happen, so random, I'm out of idea...my Marantz PM6005 with no DAC input has very very low noise when I hear closely the tweeter, but when it sing, kinda suck compare to Class D Audio in some ways, and the Class D Audio when no DAC input, did has a higher hiss near the tweeter, then I've read that all solid state got this "unhearable" minor hiss, unless some mechanism to reduce that...what can I do now? Don't bother I guess... :duh: