Eastern Electric DAC

srb

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #60 on: 10 Nov 2009, 08:53 pm »
The analog controlled gain won't stop me!

And probably shouldn't stop anyone.  But I still have to wonder why the digital VC wasn't employed, as I can't come up with any negatives for a 32bit implementation on a signal already in the digital domain.  I could be wrong, but I also don't think it would cost any more.  But I am not an engineer, and Alex is.

Maybe some of these ideas including digital volume, remote control of input selection/volume, 24/96 USB input and a true 75ohm BNC connection could make an appearance on a future edition or SE model.

Steve

richidoo

« Reply #61 on: 10 Nov 2009, 10:01 pm »
Adjusting volume on the DAC chip requires a separate microprocessor with analog input for the pot, then VC instructions are sent to the DAC on the data bus. It need not be expensive to implement, but the complexity would increase, especially programming. I thought a processor was needed to load the DAC register on startup, but maybe it can be set with passives. White paper tells the details.

mumford

« Reply #62 on: 10 Nov 2009, 10:52 pm »
Tell us more about the precision low jitter clock that you will be using.

John151

« Reply #63 on: 10 Nov 2009, 11:18 pm »
I thought digital VC was frowned upon as it reduces resolution.  Is this not true? 

I certainly don't need a VC on a DAC:  SB3 -> EE DAC -> pre-amp gives me 3 VCs!  Seems like overkill for my set up. 

John151

« Reply #64 on: 10 Nov 2009, 11:20 pm »
Didn't get to hear their CDP, but I've had no interest in trying another Pre or Phono since November 2005...

I replaced my EE CDP with a SB3.  I am still a novice, but I thought the EE CPD sounded fantastic, and I have sorely missed it  (but I sure do love the convience of the SB).

srb

« Reply #65 on: 11 Nov 2009, 12:46 am »
Adjusting volume on the DAC chip requires a separate microprocessor with analog input for the pot, then VC instructions are sent to the DAC on the data bus.

I thought you could use a digital encoder "pot" directly to the microprocessor, but I may be mistaken.

I thought digital VC was frowned upon as it reduces resolution.  Is this not true? 

It generally is, but with 32 bits of resolution, you can sacrifice some bits for volume control, and still end up with a great S/N ratio.

I plan not to use the volume control in my setup either, and would have it all the way up, but if there is to be a control in the signal path, my preference would be digital (not in the signal path and no loss of resolution all the way up), stepped attenuator and variable resistance potentiometer in that order.

Steve

richidoo

« Reply #66 on: 11 Nov 2009, 01:16 am »
Dunno 'bout using an encoder direct to the DAC. I think there are other registers to set too, and only one buss to access everything. Even without VC Buffalo has an external chip with custom software to control the DAC. Either way the parts are cheaper than a good analog pot, but implementation is the issue.

As a 32 bit DAC, the Sabre can attenuate 96dB (16 bits) before it tosses any significant bits from a wav file (CD). The buffalo's volume control is very sensitive at the top of the scale.  With a processor the control curve could be adjusted for usability.  To defeat a digital volume control, you simply turn it all the way up.

hum4god

« Reply #67 on: 12 Nov 2009, 06:10 pm »
hi

i am also looking for a sabre 32 dac and this offering looks quiet tasty,love the switch between output tube and opamp....
but,

it would be nice to get some more information about the technical background of the unit. power supply , output stage etc.

why can't the volume ctrl be disconnected?

photos would be realllly nice .

Gopher

« Reply #68 on: 13 Nov 2009, 03:50 am »
Tried calling today to pre-order, Bill.  Guess you were out.  Will try again tomorrow.  Don't close it out till I get in!

Jon L

« Reply #69 on: 13 Nov 2009, 10:27 pm »

why can't the volume ctrl be disconnected?

If it's just a pot, sure it can be manually disconnected/bypassed from inside the DAC with a few solder/desoldering.  It's just that if it was going to be bypassed, it would have been nice not to have it in the first place for a little less price.  And what about the warranty if you do mess with it..

srb

« Reply #70 on: 13 Nov 2009, 10:49 pm »
If it's just a pot, sure it can be manually disconnected/bypassed from inside the DAC with a few solder/desoldering.  It's just that if it was going to be bypassed, it would have been nice not to have it in the first place for a little less price.  And what about the warranty if you do mess with it..

I don't mind paying a few bucks more for the manufacturer to come up with a model that can please a wider audience, even if I won't use the feature.  But if we are to accept an analog volume pot, it would have been nice to have a small bypass toggle switch on the PC board.

Steve

mumford

« Reply #71 on: 13 Nov 2009, 11:34 pm »

I don't mind paying a few bucks more for the manufacturer to come up with a model that can please a wider audience, even if I won't use the feature.  But if we are to accept an analog volume pot, it would have been nice to have a small bypass toggle switch on the PC board.

actually you don't want the toggle switch, as it may degrade sound quality.  It is best to just desolder the pot and replace connections with  jumper wires.

I guess this brings up another question: how DIY friendly will this DAC be?

srb

« Reply #72 on: 14 Nov 2009, 12:16 am »
actually you don't want the toggle switch, as it may degrade sound quality.  It is best to just desolder the pot and replace connections with  jumper wires.

I don't believe that.  In that case you wouldn't have a stepped attenuator in your preamp either.

Steve

John151

« Reply #73 on: 14 Nov 2009, 09:23 pm »
I am of fan of the "less is more" school of design.  I don't care if the VC is digital, analog, or has a bypass switch, if it is not needed, you are better of without it.  All I want is a power switch and a source selector.  However, the tube circuit bypass option is intriguing. 

Gopher

« Reply #74 on: 18 Nov 2009, 04:37 pm »
Welp... I just pre-ordered mine...   Now I get to wait for it like an impatient child.

Alex, how will the inputs be selected on this DAC?

I plan to plug in a Squeezebox via coax, a playstation 3 via optical, a fios cable box via coax to BNC cable and possibly a computer via USB...

I'm hoping there is some sort of toggle switch rather than a mere detection of active devices as some devices will be on all the time.

ajayrav

« Reply #75 on: 18 Nov 2009, 10:24 pm »
Just wondering about the dimensions again.  Is the form factor like the BBA, deeper than it is wide....In other words, is the 280mm dimension the depth or width?  Also, is it powered by a wall-wart or does an IEC connector directly plug into the back?  Lastly, how  long is the pre-order price valid?

Thanks

srb

« Reply #76 on: 18 Nov 2009, 10:55 pm »
Just wondering about the dimensions again.  Is the form factor like the BBA, deeper than it is wide....In other words, is the 128mm dimension the depth or width?

Where did you get the dimension of 128mm?

2. the tube is neither inside the chassis nor on top of it, it makes use of the same idea of the EE CD player that is plugged at the back. The dimension is about 280 x 186 x 58mm

Steve

ajayrav

« Reply #77 on: 18 Nov 2009, 11:09 pm »
Oy vey!  I'm losing it....  I meant 280mm.  Corrected in my original post.

Ajay

hum4god

« Reply #78 on: 20 Nov 2009, 07:30 pm »
there are still a few questions in this thread that have not yet been answered .
i am really interested to preorder but do not feel comfortable to do so without knowing what i would  buy.

when will all the information about the dac be available?

as i understood it is not in development anymore , right ??

srb

« Reply #79 on: 20 Nov 2009, 07:46 pm »
there are still a few questions in this thread that have not yet been answered .
i am really interested to preorder but do not feel comfortable to do so without knowing what i would  buy.

Same here.

Bill & Alex,

We have not heard from either of you since November 10.  Could you please answer these remaining questions for us?

1.  What is the pre-order deadline date?

2.  How are the inputs selected and indicated?

3.  Is the power supply internal, external tabletop or external wall wart?

4.  Are the dimensions of '280mm X 186mm' Width X Depth or vice-versa?

5.  Are any photos available?

Re-reading through the posts, I think that covers the remaining unanswered questions.

Thanks,

Steve