Single-Ended 300B Tube Amplifier for Salk Supercharged Songsurround Speakers

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
I think anything around 10 watts will work fine on a desktop based on several months of using an Inspire (Dennis Had) 10 watt KT88 sep amp with my 85 dB 1w/1m; 8 ohm speakers ("Flat impedance curve allowing easy load for amplifiers." ATC).
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2018, 02:48 pm by opnly bafld »

TX_Saint

I think anything around 10 watts will work fine on a desktop based on several months of using an Inspire (Dennis Had) 10 watt KT88 sep amp with my 85 dB 1w/1m; 8 ohm speakers ("Flat impedance curve allowing easy load for amplifiers." ATC).

Thanks for the feedback opnly bafld. What percentage of the volume control were you using? In other words, if no audio is at 8:00, what was the max setting you required?

sfox7076

You can try a preamp with tubes. 

Shawn

sfox7076

And these are my 300B amps, but I use them with Exoticas.

mick wolfe

Tough call. SET's can sound vastly more powerful than their power ratings, but I think 9 or 10 watts will leave you a little short on headroom. If you had floorstanding versions of the ST's ( 88 or 89 db), you might be able to sneak by. With that said, I'd strongly consider something like a Line Magnetic 508ia. The output tube is an 805, but it does use 300B's for drivers. $1K above your budget, but it's 48 SET watts per channel. No doubt that amp would drive about anything you'd bring into the room provided it had a tube friendly impedance curve.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
   Why not a integrated amp. Many choices, Audio Hungary, Melody, Prima Luna and lots more. You will going sideways with a flea powered amp wasting your money. It will play for sure but not how it should.
   If you desire an SET amp that much sell your speakers.

charles

mick wolfe

Rollo makes a good point. If a 300B based SET is your main priority, you're trying to pound a round peg into a square hole with an 84db efficient speaker. At least if you want to venture beyond the "girl guitar" genre or expect reasonable stressfree volume levels. If retaining the Salks is a priority, a more powerful SET( 845,805,etc.) or P-P amp would be far more ideal.

guf

I remember having a Pair of SS8s that were the heart of my system and I was willing to add or change any thing but them. I was in constant change amps and preamps that people suggested. This guy here named Quiet Earth suggested what nobody else did to get a hi efficiency speaker. It took me 6 months to let go of what I had but when I did that opened my world up to a whole other sound that I have stuck with for years now. I would have for sure tried Salk Exoticas if they were around. Now my 300b amp and even my 45 amp are the heart of my systems, with attention to a good clean front end. The speakers have become less of a priority. Not sure it helps your situation but I wanted to share.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
You can try a preamp with tubes. 

Superb amp/preamp!! Do you would post it again in this topic linked below informing full details?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134172.0

arthurs

Are you in Texas Saint?