HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: New GR Neo 3 tweeters are here.
« Reply #100 on: 18 Oct 2017, 07:50 pm »
GR Neo3's are here!

Captainhemo

« Reply #101 on: 18 Oct 2017, 08:06 pm »
I think you'll like them Rich, been listeg for a  bit now in the NX-tremes up at don's place.
Have a local customer who's also been listening to them in a pair of NX-MTm's and   he seems to be  very  pleased as well    :thumb:

jay

gaelen5

« Reply #102 on: 21 Oct 2017, 01:46 am »
I think you'll like them Rich, been listeg for a  bit now in the NX-tremes up at don's place.
Have a local customer who's also been listening to them in a pair of NX-MTm's and   he seems to be  very  pleased as well    :thumb:

jay

True story! I've heard the old ones, but obviously haven't compared them back to back, so all I can say is that they're amazing. I've ended up listening at louder volumes that I normally would and it never thought anything sounded harsh, nor that I was approaching their limits.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #103 on: 21 Oct 2017, 02:16 am »
Jay,
Have the original GR Neo3-PDR tweeters in my N2X and Open Baffle three way with the Neo10's.  Love the way they sound.

Just getting them working with the latest version of the GR Neo3 drivers.

tosob

« Reply #104 on: 22 Oct 2017, 11:12 pm »
You could use Okoume Plywood. It comes in thicknesses from 3/8 to 1 inch. It primary use is in boat building. It is very strong some is made to have no voids. If you fiberglass and epoxy it it is very strong and durable. I built a boat out of this, It is a tank. The  decks are out of 3/8, fiberglased and epoxied. I can walk all over them.

Marty

Captainhemo

« Reply #105 on: 23 Oct 2017, 04:38 pm »
Jay,
Have the original GR Neo3-PDR tweeters in my N2X and Open Baffle three way with the Neo10's.  Love the way they sound.

Just getting them working with the latest version of the GR Neo3 drivers.

Well the new tweeters (GR Neo 3)  are  more like the custom Serenity   units.  No damping on the rear side, higher sensitvity,  and a couple other    things.   they a sound great   :thumb:

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #106 on: 23 Oct 2017, 07:40 pm »
Jay,
If I remember, the GR Neo3-PDR were the ones in the Serenity speakers.  Those are what I started with in my OB 3-way, before BG sold.

Captainhemo

« Reply #107 on: 23 Oct 2017, 07:49 pm »
Jay,
If I remember, the GR Neo3-PDR were the ones in the Serenity speakers.  Those are what I started with in my OB 3-way, before BG sold.

Ahhh, got ya ,  I was thining you  meant the   standard PDr GR deep  cup version with the cup removed.  So yeah,   very similar to the  Serenity version,  just a different ribbon  material  I think

jay

gstew

• Everything Matters!
« Reply #108 on: 21 Nov 2017, 07:25 pm »
As shown on the line source I linked, if you mount the Neos directly on the face of the wood baffle and then cover the entire front with felt then there is no diffraction.  Also in the back (no matter how thick the baffle is) you simply flare out the rear behind the drivers (like a waveguide) and felt this flare and the entire rear panel.....again no diffraction effects.  Cheap and incredible sounding.  When you use a combo of 16 ply plywood and highly refined MDF and use Green glue in between the layers you get a very, very rigid baffle.  Aluminum might give you 5 % more........for thousands of $ more.  Use better xover parts (Clarity cap CMRs with copper foil Jupiter bypasses and use 12 gauge Jantzen wax paper copper foil Inductor on the midrange and 14 or 16 gauge on the tweet and use great wire like Neotech, Vhaudio, etc)......this is where the money should go.

Ric,

You've got me excited about upgrading my speakers' crossovers as above. A couple of questions... first, what size Jupiter copper foil caps should I use as bypasses to the Clarity CMRs? Second, where's a good source for the Jantzen wax paper copper foil inductors? I need 2.5mH & 4.7mH in the 12 gauge and 1mH and 1.5mH in the 14 gauge.

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #109 on: 21 Nov 2017, 07:40 pm »
Here is the GR Neo3 with the yarn installed with the BG Neo10.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #110 on: 22 Nov 2017, 03:26 pm »
Those look cool.  How do they sound?  Open Baffle?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #111 on: 22 Nov 2017, 03:29 pm »
Yes, still in work as the servo sub flat packs just arrived and have to be built.   With the old 3x8" servo setup, I liked them a lot.  Will see how the moded GR Neo3's do once I can get it setup with the dspMusikLCD digital crossover and triamped.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #112 on: 2 Mar 2018, 10:28 pm »
These:

Danny, sorry for digging up an old thread and asking such a silly question, but..... whatever happened to these speakers?

They seem to haunt me. Just wondering if they will ever be someplace where they could be heard?

Danny Richie

« Reply #113 on: 2 Mar 2018, 10:44 pm »
Danny, sorry for digging up an old thread and asking such a silly question, but..... whatever happened to these speakers?

They seem to haunt me. Just wondering if they will ever be someplace where they could be heard?

The were shipped to Panama quite some time ago.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #114 on: 2 Mar 2018, 11:32 pm »
The were shipped to Panama quite some time ago.
......guess I won't get to hear them then.

Drat.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #115 on: 2 Mar 2018, 11:46 pm »
Those look cool.  How do they sound?  Open Baffle?

Will be discussing the GR Neo3, BG Neo10 OB speaker in this thread.  Pictures of the prototype test baffle #2 are posted down a bit on this page:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=153244.80

Miguel Gonzalez

« Reply #116 on: 3 Mar 2018, 12:18 am »

Drat.

The line array are in Panama...if you stop by...let me know...an audition is possible...Miguel

Miguel Gonzalez

« Reply #117 on: 3 Mar 2018, 12:28 am »

Several amps and dacs to listen to which by the way I need to sell...

Miguel Gonzalez

« Reply #118 on: 3 Mar 2018, 12:43 am »
Ric,

You've got me excited about upgrading my speakers' crossovers as above. A couple of questions... first, what size Jupiter copper foil caps should I use as bypasses to the Clarity CMRs? Second, where's a good source for the Jantzen wax paper copper foil inductors? I need 2.5mH & 4.7mH in the 12 gauge and 1mH and 1.5mH in the 14 gauge.

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi

Future upgrade for the line array...

Early B.

« Reply #119 on: 3 Mar 2018, 01:02 am »

Future upgrade for the line array...

Miguel -- tell us more.

What amp do you have powering those line arrays? List the other gear.
How would you describe the sound?
What speakers did the line arrays replace?
Do you have a pair of Danny's OB servo subs for bass?
What convinced you to purchase those line arrays and have them shippeed to Panama? Did you come to Texas to hear them first? 
What gear do you have for sale?