Enclosure plans for lowther DX45

versus rider

Enclosure plans for lowther DX45
« on: 1 Jul 2015, 09:01 pm »
Must be at the right forum, audio " circle " as I seem to be going round in circles. Did the open baffle thing, then front horns, had Lowther Fidelio and other box speakers. Now back to using my CSS FR 125 bass reflex stand mounts with aurum cantus ribbons and a sub in a dedicated treated room allbeit very small. The small room does limit my choice of speakers but really I am really content with them but a man has to have a project. So I bought a pair of Lowther DX45 and need some boxes for them. Bicor 20 is the obvious choice but blh exits at the back and I am not going there. My CSS BR has a front port and I have some wharfedale floor standers with fostex FE126 drivers modified to BLH exiting at the front. These I could try but it's not exactly a technical approach. Any ideas for a suitable box for DX45, either floor standing or stand mount with front port/mouth. 

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
Re: Enclosure plans for lowther DX45
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2015, 09:46 pm »
but blh exits at the back and I am not going there

What issues have you experienced with rear exiting BLH enclosures? That was kind of a surprising statement.

versus rider

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2015, 05:23 am »
I haven't had rear exiting BLH that I can remember, but have had bass troubles with rear ported speakers close to the wall.

Scottmoose

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2015, 03:41 pm »
Assuming it's not a room construction issue (not all boundaries are created equal) then chances are that is largely the result of the vented box alignment being inappropriate for the positioning -for example, excessive bass gain, which can be addressed via a more highly damped box alignment. Same applies to rear-firing back-horns.

versus rider

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2015, 04:14 pm »
I should have said I've had no issues in this room, just experienced boomy bass in other rooms. Right now I am using CSS FR 125 in bass reflex with front slotted port and no heavy bass behind the speakers or in the corners. I just thought avoiding rear exit would be a safer option.  Would Bicor 20 rely on the corner for bass extension. I would like plans for alerions if anyone has dimensions.

Scottmoose

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2015, 09:13 am »
The Bicor 20 is an interesting design; it's not a horn per se, more a hybrid multi-chamber approach. Since Lowther don't publish the plans, hard to say what performance will be like with any reasonable degree of certainty.

The Alerion was, as I recall, a custom enclosure for Lowther US by the late Terry Cain. From the appearance, I suspect it had a similar configuration to his Single BEN, but plans have not, AFAIK, been released, and knowing Terry, he probably tuned it to use the particular resonant properties of the construction materials, which were custom laid up in his wood shop.

versus rider

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2015, 09:56 am »
The Bicor 20 is an interesting design; it's not a horn per se, more a hybrid multi-chamber approach. Since Lowther don't publish the plans, hard to say what performance will be like with any reasonable degree of certainty.

The Alerion was, as I recall, a custom enclosure for Lowther US by the late Terry Cain. From the appearance, I suspect it had a similar configuration to his Single BEN, but plans have not, AFAIK, been released, and knowing Terry, he probably tuned it to use the particular resonant properties of the construction materials, which were custom laid up in his wood shop.
i am leaning toward the accolade, along with DX45 it use DX2, but I have some 8" full range drivers used as temporary replacements while Lowther drivers are being repaired. I preferred these to EX3 I once had that sounded thin after several months of break in. I appreciate they and the Bicor are not horns but then I only consider front horns to be true horns.

versus rider

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2015, 05:40 pm »
I have kindly been given plans for Alerion on the understanding I don't share them, make more than one pair of speakers and only for my own use.