off ramp 5 and new dac

guf

off ramp 5 and new dac
« on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:23 pm »
I've been using my off ramp with short block into  a w4s dac 2 with great results. I just got a new lampizator dac it took me a while to figure out the usb so i was using the off ramp to convert to spdif. Really impressed with the sound. now i have the usb working on the lampizator. will the off ramp always improve the single? I've heard the best option is to use usb when possible. but since i cant do usb out on the off ramp into the new dac is it better to convert to spdif?  on first listen i think it does sound better with the off ramp.

audioengr

Re: off ramp 5 and new dac
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2013, 06:15 pm »
I've been using my off ramp with short block into  a w4s dac 2 with great results. I just got a new lampizator dac it took me a while to figure out the usb so i was using the off ramp to convert to spdif. Really impressed with the sound. now i have the usb working on the lampizator. will the off ramp always improve the single? I've heard the best option is to use usb when possible. but since i cant do usb out on the off ramp into the new dac is it better to convert to spdif?  on first listen i think it does sound better with the off ramp.

Yes, it is better to go SPDIF to the DAC using a good coax cable such as my BNC-BNC cable with RCA adapters.

Most built-in USB interfaces on DACs are not that good, and putting the USB interface external with the Off-Ramp means that it is on a dedicated power supply.  Even with my own DAC, the Overdrive, I use an Off-Ramp 5 driving it with S/PDIF coax because it is slightly better this way.

There is also another thing you can do to improve the quality significantly:  change the AC adapter for the Off-Ramp to a Dynamo power supply.  It can be purchased on the pull-down menu on the Off-Ramp webpage.

Steve N.

jjh1585

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2013, 08:43 pm »
Steve,

Do you sell the RCA adapters for your BNC cable? Do you recommend any particular adapters?

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2013, 01:29 am »
Steve,

Do you sell the RCA adapters for your BNC cable? Do you recommend any particular adapters?

I dont sell them separately.  You can find them on markertek.com.

Steve N.

jjh1585

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2013, 02:43 am »
Steve,

I asked because I wanted to know if I place an order for your BNC cable will I need to get adapters. I don't have BNC connections.

I have found your recommendations very helpful. I am interested in your cable.  You have stated your cable has yet to be bested.

You have 2 different BNC cables listed. Witch has the best performance?

Thanks.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2013, 08:11 pm »
Steve,

I asked because I wanted to know if I place an order for your BNC cable will I need to get adapters. I don't have BNC connections.

I have found your recommendations very helpful. I am interested in your cable.  You have stated your cable has yet to be bested.

You have 2 different BNC cables listed. Witch has the best performance?

Thanks.

The cable comes with RCA adapters.  There is only one cable on the website now.
Steve N.

jjh1585

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2013, 09:28 pm »
Steve,

I received your cable. The improvement in my system is huge. It was the best improvement for the lest money I have ever spent. Your products (OR5, BNC Cable) are taking my enjoyment of music to a new high level.

Thank You.

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2013, 10:25 pm »
Steve,

I received your cable. The improvement in my system is huge. It was the best improvement for the lest money I have ever spent. Your products (OR5, BNC Cable) are taking my enjoyment of music to a new high level.

Thank You.

Excellent.  We try to deliver value for the money.  I am always upset when people on the forums call our products overpriced.

Don't forget about the Dynamo.  This will take your setup to a new level entirely.  Much bigger impact than the BNC-BNC cable.

Steve N.