Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #340 on: 24 Dec 2010, 04:36 pm »
Sweet!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

skeeter99

« Reply #341 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:17 pm »
Been burning in for about 40 hours now and have noticed quite a noticeable change at low level listening. These speakers like to be goosed to sound good out of the box. But as they settle in, I find myself listening at lower and lower levels. I finally have a good placement on the speakers - I took me about 3 hours from carrying them upstairs to getting an optimum gap height and placement. I found that with toe in the soundstage really opened up and that gap height is very important to bass response.

Packing:

sam-fi

Beautiful setup! Is that one of the Virtue amps they were offering with these? Are you still using the Bose cubes ;) LOL!

That packaging REALLY leaves a lot to be desired though  :nono: I can see lots of freight claims due to the single wall construction of the boxes ...

Charles Xavier

Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #342 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:29 pm »
Heck I'm curious so I just ordered Bstock Omens  :duh:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #343 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:30 pm »
I was seriously thinking B-stock Omen Bookshelves until I picked up some speakers yesterday off CL....what color Charles??

djbnh

« Reply #344 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:36 pm »
Been burning in for about 40 hours now and have noticed quite a noticeable change at low level listening. These speakers like to be goosed to sound good out of the box. But as they settle in, I find myself listening at lower and lower levels. I finally have a good placement on the speakers - I took me about 3 hours from carrying them upstairs to getting an optimum gap height and placement. I found that with toe in the soundstage really opened up and that gap height is very important to bass response...

sam-fi

Nice photos, I went for the natural finish as well. [FYI - I like the built-ins.] Zu recommendations regarding speaker bottom clearance, toe-in, etc. seem to be supported by your comments.

That packaging REALLY leaves a lot to be desired though  :nono: I can see lots of freight claims due to the single wall construction of the boxes ...

My experience makes me politely disagree. I reported that my shipment experienced two surface (modest) punctures in one box. If you take Zu's top box piece and bottom box piece as it's shipped together, it's akin to having a double wall box all around except on the front and rear panels; the external labels clearly indicate which way the box is to be laid so as to maximize the protection offered by this design (I know some shipping employees disregard labels, as do consumers.). The construction and placement of two of the four foam cushions protects the speaker top and bottom; the differing construction and placement of the remaining two foam cushions keeps the speakers from harm except for very deep punctures. I previously discussed the protective nature of the "black frisbee" driver covers. YMMV.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #345 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:36 pm »
I was seriously thinking B-stock Omen Bookshelves until I picked up some speakers yesterday off CL....what color Charles??

They don't give a choice on the web so I called and the guy said when you get the confirmation email to email back with a color preference so I emailed back for the Sangria. Just did it on a whim. Don't need new speakers. Taking advantage of the 60 day audition. But last time I did this I kept them. My wife is going to kill me :lol:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #346 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:44 pm »
Charles best of luck with the wife...Happy Holidays!! Enjoy your new speakers and of course please let us know how they sound. :thumb:

shadowlight

« Reply #347 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:44 pm »
They don't give a choice on the web so I called and the guy said when you get the confirmation email to email back with a color preference so I emailed back for the Sangria. Just did it on a whim. Don't need new speakers. Taking advantage of the 60 day audition. But last time I did this I kept them. My wife is going to kill me :lol:

Can I be the fly on the wall for the dressing down that you are going to get  :argue:   :whip: 

:rotflmao:

skeeter99

« Reply #348 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:45 pm »
My experience makes me politely disagree. I reported that my shipment experienced two surface (modest) punctures in one box. If you take Zu's top box piece and bottom box piece as it's shipped together, it's akin to having a double wall box all around except on the front and rear panels; the external labels clearly indicate which way the box is to be laid so as to maximize the protection offered by this design (I know some shipping employees disregard labels, as do consumers.). The construction and placement of two of the four foam cushions protects the speaker top and bottom; the differing construction and placement of the remaining two foam cushions keeps the speakers from harm except for very deep punctures. I previously discussed the protective nature of the "black frisbee" driver covers. YMMV.

Couldn't tell completely how the box goes together so that works if its double boxed. It was the single boxing that really had me concerned. I know they had their issues, but one thing AV123 had was ridiculously good packaging (for most of the speakers). Even my inexpensive X-LS' came double boxed with nice foam and the nice protective sock that each speaker came wrapped in.

Good to know the packaging is plenty  :thumb:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #349 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:50 pm »
Can I be the fly on the wall for the dressing down that you are going to get  :argue:   :whip: 

:rotflmao:

I may need a place to sleep. I'll call you when they come in.

shadowlight

« Reply #350 on: 24 Dec 2010, 06:14 pm »
I may need a place to sleep. I'll call you when they come in.

Sounds good.

Sam-fi

« Reply #351 on: 24 Dec 2010, 06:56 pm »
I am just going to throw out some responses here.

The amp I am using is the Peachtree Nova - I have had one for over a year now. They also offered this amp as a package with the defs but I am a previous owner. My thoughts? Great dac for the price and a decent headphone amp and amp.

The packaging seemed quite adequate to me, hardly a scratch was on the box as well.

I am also getting a TT for myself this Christmas - it is sitting under the tree. Oooh the excitement!

Sam-fi

skite30

« Reply #352 on: 25 Dec 2010, 02:53 am »
One of My boxes also had 2 punctures in it through the single wall side. I think zu definitely needs to add some bubble wrap around the speakers themselves.

I too noticed when I first received them I had to turn the volume control much higher 1:00 versus 10:00 from my previous 93 db speakers. About a week into the break in period the efficiency increased dramatically. I now get plenty of volume at about 9:00. I am using a 2 watt 46 based amp with an audio note pre.

Delta Wave

« Reply #353 on: 25 Dec 2010, 03:13 am »
So I take it everyone is pleased with their Zu speakers? I've narrowed it down to Zu, PSB, Monitor Audio or a set of Maggies (I have the space & power) in my price range. Any comments and/or suggestions?

morganc

« Reply #354 on: 25 Dec 2010, 07:39 am »
I sold my Monitor Audio Gs 10's and 60's a few months ago. The omen defs are much better for me in my space with my listening preferences.     Good luck with your decision.

Eadron

« Reply #355 on: 25 Dec 2010, 07:49 am »

Yep, and FedEx claims seems to take a lot of time.. :cry: Here's my case due to poor packaging:

morganc

« Reply #356 on: 25 Dec 2010, 08:00 am »
Yep, and FedEx claims seems to take a lot of time.. :cry: Here's my case due to poor packaging:

I had similar damage to the top of mine:(.

Eadron

« Reply #357 on: 25 Dec 2010, 08:11 am »
Here's also a couple of shots of my other speakers packaging..these should survive  :thumb:

djbnh

« Reply #358 on: 25 Dec 2010, 10:28 am »
Any comments and/or suggestions?
Perhaps allow Zu owners time sufficient to burn-in their respective speakers and subsequently report what they're hearing. That may take a bit of time.

Eadron

« Reply #359 on: 26 Dec 2010, 04:49 pm »
Here's a shot of my Omen setup. It rests on Timbernation 2" 15x15" maple platform, brass spikes add another 2". The gap between the platform and the speaker is 9 mm at the moment, which is pretty nice, imo. Soundstage height and overall balance improves, imo. And I may repeat myself, but the balance is surprisingly good  :D.

jouni