Packing and Shipping songtower question

joegator81

Packing and Shipping songtower question
« on: 8 Jun 2016, 01:29 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm preparing my songtowers for shipment in the original box. Its been a while but from what I remember the base of the speaker is supposed to be removed for shipping. Is this correct? If it is, I've got a little problem because the speaker bases seem to be stuck to both of the speakers after removing the bolts. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I want to make sure these are packed safely and securely.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Packing and Shipping songtower question
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2016, 01:56 pm »
Yes, removed. Best I can remember the bases came in their own small flat box. Try tapping them with a rubber mallet, should 'unstick' them.  :thumb:

joegator81

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2016, 02:11 pm »
Thanks Arthur, that is what I thought. Good idea with the mallot, i'll give that a shot.

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2016, 02:44 pm »
They do tend to stick after a while with the speaker weighing down on the plinths.  When this happens, we generally place it on its top and then have someone hold the plinth lightly so that when it comes loose it does not fly up and land on the speaker damaging the finish.  We then pound up on it with the meat of the palm of our hand until it comes loose.  Sometimes is takes a few good whacks, but it eventually pops loose.  If you use a rubber mallet, I would place a towel or something like it around the plinth so that the mallet does not mar the finish.

- Jim

joegator81

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2016, 03:47 pm »
Thanks Jim for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to take special care.

Do you think that using a hair dryer to heat them up would help?

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2016, 04:22 pm »
Thanks Jim for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to take special care.

Do you think that using a hair dryer to heat them up would help?

I would not use a hair dryer as you might risk messing up the lacquer.

- Jim

joegator81

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2016, 06:29 pm »
I would not use a hair dryer as you might risk messing up the lacquer.

- Jim

Thanks again!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2016, 06:53 pm »
Put a piece of painter's tape on each piece and label each plinth to match each speaker and note front and back edges. That way if the plinth comes off a little chunky in on area versus another it can be put right back on the exact way it came off.  Ask me how I know......

joegator81

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2016, 12:04 am »
Put a piece of painter's tape on each piece and label each plinth to match each speaker and note front and back edges. That way if the plinth comes off a little chunky in on area versus another it can be put right back on the exact way it came off.  Ask me how I know......

:icon_lol: thanks good advice