iPad control app for Salksteam player?

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
Re: iPad control app for Salksteam player?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2016, 06:14 pm »
Yes, Roon Core is integrated into the StreamPlayer.  You can use all the Roon Ready devices you want in your system and the StreamPlayer will handle all the heavy lifting.

- Jim

This is really cool! I bet it's fast too, especially with an internal SSD.

Any chance of getting one with an HDMI I2S out to feed my W4S DAC2 DSDse?

Todd

jsalk

« Reply #21 on: 21 Apr 2016, 06:56 pm »
This is really cool! I bet it's fast too, especially with an internal SSD.

Any chance of getting one with an HDMI I2S out to feed my W4S DAC2 DSDse?

Todd

Off hand, I don't know the answer to that since I've never tried it and don't have access to that DAC.  You can output to HDMI but I would have to investigate the I2S end of things.

- Jim

toddc2

« Reply #22 on: 21 Apr 2016, 07:11 pm »
Off hand, I don't know the answer to that since I've never tried it and don't have access to that DAC.  You can output to HDMI but I would have to investigate the I2S end of things.

- Jim

The interface is totally different than HDMI signalling. PS Audio (and a few others, including W4S) use the HDMI cable to feed I2S to the DAC. I'm sure it's a pain as there aren't too many companies supplying renderers using this interface. Empirical, Sonore, W4S to name a few but nobody seems to have jumped on the Roon + I2S bandwagon yet.

Todd

jsalk

« Reply #23 on: 21 Apr 2016, 07:16 pm »
The interface is totally different than HDMI signalling. PS Audio (and a few others, including W4S) use the HDMI cable to feed I2S to the DAC. I'm sure it's a pain as there aren't too many companies supplying renderers using this interface. Empirical, Sonore, W4S to name a few but nobody seems to have jumped on the Roon + I2S bandwagon yet.

Todd

Is there anywhere you can get the pinout information on how they implement this?  There are a couple of companies that offer small USB to I2S boards.

- Jim

SCompRacer

« Reply #24 on: 21 Apr 2016, 07:28 pm »
The thing about I2S is it meant for short runs, like inches, inside a CD/SACD player. I don't think you will find a fixed standard for long I2S runs. I2S has clock and data separate, where with SPDIF the DAC must extract clock embedded in the data stream. Longer runs such as one meter with I2S can cause latency issues.

Sonore and IIRC Wyred use LVDS or low voltage differential signalling with their HDMI output I2S. One transmits and one receives. Twisted Pear offers an LVDS module that you can set to transmit or receive, and claim you can use up to 100 feet of CAT cable to connect. Some audio purists do not like to use LVDS devices.

I had modded a Denon 3910 to output I2S and native DSD to my DIY Buffalo III DAC and originally used a one meter cable to connect to the DAC. It sounded OK but I had occasional dropouts. When I installed the LVDS modules it sounded much better and I had no dropouts. I also modded a SB Touch to export I2S via Teleporter to my DAC.

Currently I use the Sonore USB to I2S module with U.fl (tiny coax/connectors) less than 4 inches long to connect to DAC board. It's all about proper implementation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-voltage_differential_signaling

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/teleporter.aspx

toddc2

« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2016, 07:31 pm »
Is there anywhere you can get the pinout information on how they implement this?  There are a couple of companies that offer small USB to I2S boards.

- Jim

Funny, I couldn't find the PS Audio spec with a quick search. I did see Steve Nugent's post providing the pin map for his OR5:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122266.0

Todd