Setting up Raspberry Pi2 Music Server

newzooreview

Setting up Raspberry Pi2 Music Server
« on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:28 am »
I just setup a Raspberry Pi2 as a music server for my bedroom system. I thought I would do a walk through in case it helps others. It wasn't too hard to get going, but I thought I might be able to save anyone interested some frustration.

The end result: an bit-perfect music server that can stream music via USB or Coax (with add-on card) from a USB drive or Network drive. And it can also stream Spotify and web radio stations via WiFi or Ethernet. The whole thing is controlled via Web interface on any device on the same network. All for about $80.

I'll probably miss something, but here are the steps I took:

1) Buy a Raspberry Pi2 kit off of Amazon. The kits are helpful since you'll need the 5v power supply, case, WiFi dongle, and micro SD card. I got this one (but there is a variety available): http://smile.amazon.com/Adapter--20-Guide--Clear-Case--Power-Supply--Kingston-Adapter--HDMI/dp/B00MV6TAJI/ref=sr_1_26?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438047280&sr=1-26-spons&keywords=raspberry+pi+kit

2) If you have a USB DAC, you're done with essential purchases. The new Raspberry Pi2 has no trouble or hiccups with USB output (in my experience). If you have a DAC that takes COAX input then order a Digi+ (https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/). You can even get their DAC board, but I want the option to use my own DAC (Schiit Bifrost for the bedroom system).

3) If you get the Digi+, you'll need bigger case because it's a stack-on board. I got this one: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X3QY5NQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

4) Finally, if you'll be using WiFi you might want an extension cable to move the WiFi dongle away from the Raspberry Pi to reduce the chance that the WiFi signal will introduce noise. I have not compared with and without; I just use the cable: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSU1FS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

5) That's if for basic purchases.

6) When the kit arrives, pop the micro SD card into the SD card holder and put it into your computer. It's got some free software on it, but we're focusing on setting up the music server so we'll erase the card. You can always download all sorts of other Raspberry Pi software for free later.

7) Format the card. I used the free SD Card Formatter software, and I chose "Overwrite" to give the card a good low-level format. The name doesn't matter. Formatting takes about 10 minutes. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

8) While the card is formatting, download RuneAudio. I tried the other option, Volumio, and it was very flaky and slow. Lots of frustration. The sound was also more dry and digital. RuneAudio is faster, has more features, has a better interface, and is not flaky. It also sounds better to me (more natural, less etched but without sacrificing detail). http://www.runeaudio.com/certified-devices/#Raspberry-Pi-2

9) Ok the micro SD card is done formatting, and RuneAudio is downloaded. We don't have to unzip the RuneAudio file, but if you did that, it's fine.

10) Next we download the Apple Pi Baker for the Mac: http://www.tweaking4all.com/downloads/raspberrypi/ApplePi-Baker.zip

11) If you use Windows you can download USB Image Tool: http://www.alexpage.de/download/usbit/usbit.zip

12) The RuneAudio page gives a walk-through of creating the SD card, and I'll give my observations. Using Apple Pi Baker on the Mac (Mavericks) the only oddity I noticed was that I had to UNcheck the "Password Visible" box when opening Apple Pi Baker. Then you enter your admin password and proceed. A) click on the name of your SD card to highlight it; B) click the three dots (…) next to "IMG file" to choose the RuneAudio file you downloaded; C) click "Restore Backup" It will work for a couple of minutes and tell you when it's done.

13) That's it for the SD card. You can close Apple Pi Baker, eject the card, and pull out the little micro SD card.

14) If you haven't done it already, go ahead and put the Raspberry Pi into it's case. For the kit I ordered, this took some careful scrutiny of the tiny plastic tabs and some gentle pressure to snap everything together.

15) IMPORTANT: keep the power unplugged from the Raspberry Pi until after you've inserted the microSD card. There is no on/off switch. When the power is plugged in, the Raspberry Pi starts trying to read from the card slot to boot up. I glitched a card not paying heed to that. Same thing on shutdown: shut down the OS (RuneAudio has a menu option); give it a minute to shut down; unplug the power; THEN the card can be removed. End of warning.

16) So, our Raspberry Pi is in its case (optional but recommended) and the power is not plugged in. Insert the microSD card with RuneAudio on it; plug in an Ethernet cable to your router; and plug in the WiFi dongle (on optional extension cable). Be sure that your computer is on the same network as the Raspberry Pi.

17) Now plug in the power to the Raspberry Pi. And wait. Give it a minute. It's launching a little web server that we're going to open in our browser.

18) Ok. It's started up (1-2 minutes). In the browser type runeaudio.local and hit return. The browser will look on the local network for the Raspberry Pi and open its web interface.

19) From here, the first thing you'll likely want to do is go to the menu in the upper right and choose Network to setup WiFi access. If you're like me, you are not going to have the Raspberry Pi hardwired to your router. Be sure to click "Apply Settings" after you enter the WiFi information. Same for changing other settings. Always give it time ("Connecting" will spin for a bit). If it really seems to be stuck, you can always re-enter "runeaudio.local" in the URL bar in your browser and hit return. This usually gets you back online. If it's really really hopelessly not responding (hasn't happened to me) you can unplug the Raspberry Pi and plug it in to reboot. There's a slight chance this could corrupt the card, but you can just go back through and follow the format and install steps to get a new working copy of RuneAudio on there. I haven't had to do that, however.

20) Plug in a USB disk and click "Library" at the bottom left. You'll see all the sources that you can use, including Spotify and network drives. If you click on USB disk it will open the disk and show folders full of music (if you have some on there). It reads FAT32 and NTFS formatted disks.

21) Plug in your DAC and go to the "MPD" menu. Here you can select your DAC under "Audio Output Interface" (MPD is the Linux package that handles the bit perfect audio output.)

I'll end there because the RuneAudio website covers all the options for operation. http://www.runeaudio.com/documentation/

You can use a smart phone or tablet to run RuneAudio as well. So far I'm enjoying it, and I hope this helps someone.  :thumb:

Addenda

1. You can use the mpad or mpod apps to control playback from an iOS device in addition to the built in web-based user interface (thanks JohnR).

2. If you do need to change a configuration file on RuneAudio, you can log into it via the Terminal app on the Mac. Just type "ssh root@runeadio.local" and use the password "rune" when prompted. In various forums around the internet people may post configuration file settings that need to be entered this way: you can't do it via the web-based user interface.

3. As chip notes below, he's done an extensive writeup on his Raspberry Pi2 setup here: http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/41430/raspberry-pi-audio-playback

4. Websites for Volumio, RuneAudio, and Moode (with more info on NAS setup, detailed installation guides, lists of known compatible DACs and WiFi dongles, user forums, etc.):

Volumio: https://volumio.org
RuneAudio: http://www.runeaudio.com
Moode: http://moodeaudio.org/
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2015, 02:32 pm by newzooreview »

newzooreview

Re: Setting up Raspberry Pi2 Music Server
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:49 am »
Here it is in action.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2015, 08:19 am »
Cool  :thumb:

These things are phenomenal value. I've just received two more. I'm actually writing an article about them but it's very Mac-centric. Hopefully this thread could be a good reference. This is what I'm listening to right now:

I'm using volumio at present. There's another fork called Moode, there's a lot of work there in nicening up the web UI. I've only used it briefly, I think it's still actively being developed.

Thanks for the pointer to Apple Pi Baker, that will be very helpful. A couple of items for your list (if you like). To enable the DIGI+ in Rune, I recall I needed to log into the Pi2 via ssh and edit a line in a configuration file. I'm not finding this info right now but will look again. Did you need to do that?

You can also get cases from HifiBerry, that one above is theirs.

For controlling playback from a tablet, MPD clients also work well. I'm using MPDroid currently, for iOS mpod/mpad seem to be the client of choice.

chip

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:07 pm »
My Raspberry Pi setup
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
Flirc Case
Kootek 5V 2A Universal Micro USB Charger Adapter Power Supply
Samsung 16GB EVO Class 10 Micro SDHC
HiFimeDIYUSB DAC ES9018
Currently running Volumio and pulling music from my unraid server. I have also tested Runeaudio but prefer some items from volumio over rune.

I also have this write up I did with loads of info - http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/41430/raspberry-pi-audio-playback

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:15 pm »
I need a tulip and a doily  :oops:

Thanks, I'll have to check out Moode.

I had no end of trouble with Volumio. It simply would not remember the WiFi settings reliably, and it completely choked on mounting a USB drive that had a Mac partition and an NTFS partition (RuneAudio had no trouble with that). Volumio's very slow compared to RuneAudio, and when I finally did get it to work the sound was more digital and fatiguing (not horrible, and not dramatically so, but definitely noticeable). Volumio is working on a complete rewrite for version 2.0 which looks like it might be ready by the end of the year, so perhaps they will get things figured out.

Have you done much serious comparison between the sound quality of RuneAudio, Volumio, and Moode? The differences I've heard are not night and day, so I don't think you can go wrong.

I haven't received the HiFiBerry Digi+ in the mail yet, so I don't know if I'll have to edit a configuration file. I'll add a note on ssh above since it's easy but I didn't run across any good instructions for it.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:17 pm »
Could I use one of these from my NAS via the network to my USB Dac in place of my ARIES?  What control point is best?  Is it really hard to get going in that setup? 

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:22 pm »
Hi Jason, "probably" would be my answer, as I don't have any experience with the Aries. It works fine from my Synology NAS, once set up. YMMV.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:25 pm »
Hi Jason, "probably" would be my answer, as I don't have any experience with the Aries. It works fine from my Synology NAS, once set up. YMMV.
OK, if it works from your NAS via your network then it should be good.  It would be great for another setup I have.  Will your article go through setup and what control point and all the fine details?  Your articles are usually awesome and full of so much information I'm sure it will be good.   :)

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:26 pm »
I have also tested Runeaudio but prefer some items from volumio over rune.

Did you have any issues running Volumio using WiFi only?

What did you like better about Volumio?

I really thought I would want to use Volumio, but it was frustrating me. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:37 pm »
OK, if it works from your NAS via your network then it should be good.  It would be great for another setup I have.  Will your article go through setup and what control point and all the fine details?  Your articles are usually awesome and full of so much information I'm sure it will be good.   :)

Hi Jason, flattery will get you nowhere :D But thank you, wrt article let's see how it works out. There are so many avenues to go down, so I'm trying to focus in on just one config that will give a useful result. I didn't really want to distract from newzooreview's thread.

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:43 pm »
I need a tulip and a doily  :oops:

And a mother in law :lol:  :duh:

Thanks for starting this thread. For hundred bucks give or take, heck... Everybody should just try it.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2015, 11:19 am by JohnR »

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:56 pm »
Just to add in here, I just recently finished my own, very similar build.

I'm using a RPi2, with the IQAudio DAC+ card so I can just plug right into a vintage receiver. I'm using Volumio at the moment and honestly it went extremely smoothly. I'm curious to try Rune or Moode and see if there are any improvements. I'm using wired ethernet. I play Apple lossless files off of a Synology NAS. I mostly use mPad to control, but sometimes just the web interface for Volumio.

Total cost was around $125 I think, but $50 was the DAC+ card so if you just want to use a USB DAC you could drop the price quite a bit.

If anyone has any questions I can try to answer or any info I can share I'd be happy to help.

rofo

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2015, 03:18 pm »
I am having a problem with Pi 2, hifi digi+ with Volumio. I know the dac I have plugged into it works fine, but when playing online radio or flac files it sounds like there is a polarity issue. The vocals and bass is very muted perhaps one channel is out of polarity. Not sure if this is a software or hardware issue. I may just have to give Rune a try to see if this solves the problem.

newzooreview

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2015, 08:34 pm »
I'm thinking of getting this linear USB power supply for the Raspberry Pi, but the cost seems high compared to the cost of the Raspberry Pi, even though it's not a big cost if it improves the sound appreciably.

http://www.amazon.com/Nobsound%C2%AE15VA-Linear-Supply-upgrade-CM6631/dp/B00WU8XFL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438113956&sr=8-1&keywords=nobsound+5v

newzooreview

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2015, 09:49 pm »
Here's an interesting video on YouTube that discusses setting up a HifiBerry Digi+ board on Raspberry Pi2, setting up NAS streaming, and troubleshooting glitches with RuneAudio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeUxk14vCc

Odal3

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2015, 11:23 pm »
Nice write-up and good to see more are enjoying this great streamer. Here's my set-up to add to the already great info:
- Flirc case - this is a really nice case with a built-in heatsink. It really looks good imo. The downside is that it will probably only work with USB dongle since I don't think it will fit one of the add-on DACs.

- Power supply - I initially used a left over Samsung Galaxy phone charger. I read somewhere to make sure the PSU it is not too small if you want to connect stuff to the USB. The Samsung charger is 2A and it worked good. But, inspired by the thread that recommends powering SSDs with batteries (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135111.msg1438396#msg1438396), I picked up a $22 Anker E4 battery to replace the phone charger. I haven't done any real a/b testing but to my ears, and bias  :D, it sounds great!

- For the SD image writer on Windows, I use the win32diskimager.

- I use a hifimediy android dac (with an USB/micro USB adapter) and it works really well. In fact, the DAC sounds better with the RaspberyPi2 than my windows computer, or via my Galaxy phone. Cleaner with blacker background. But, I'm in the market to upgrade since this one doesn't play hi-rez files but for 48/16 it's not bad.

Wifi dongle - Most of the time I use the ethernet to connect to it, but at times I move it and then I use the Panda PAUD 5: http://www.amazon.com/Panda-300Mbps-Wireless-USB-Adapter/dp/B00EQT0YK2. I picked this one since I wanted to also use it to set-up a wireless hotspot.

Rune/Volumio/Moode are very similar since they all are based on the same backbone (MPD) so to me it's more of a preference. I started out with Rune, but since I'm more familiar with Linux Ubunutu I moved over to Volumio (version 1.55), and it worked really well. However, once Moode 2.0 came out, I have to say it is my new favourite! The user-interface has been simplified with some new features and there is also a fix coming for 2.1 that will load large library faster.  Moode's user-interface using Google Chrome on an Android device is really nice.

The thing that makes the Raspberry pi really interesting is that it can be used as an active cross-over as well. I have installed ecasound and Richard Taylor's LADSPA plugins that allows LR 4th order high/low pass, 2nd order, parametric eq, etc. It's relatively easy to change the config file to pipe out the audio from MPD to Ecasound. I need to get a multichannel DAC to really get 4 / 6 channels but my tries with only 2 channels have been good, and other such as Charlie Laub has taking it a step further and developed most filters required to get all filters required for an active cross-over set-up.

Finally - to play spotify and other streaming sources, I use the airplay functionality via my ipad. This works much better than trying to set it up in the player itself since it allows the full functionality of the streaming apps. In Volumio it is also possible to set-up Spotify, but it's not as smooth searching songs, etc as the spotify app via airplay

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2015, 11:19 am »
I'm thinking of getting this linear USB power supply for the Raspberry Pi,

I'm running mine off a little Teradak supply (set to 5V). I didn't try comparing SQ vs a switcher.

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jul 2015, 11:24 am »
Here's an interesting video on YouTube that discusses setting up a HifiBerry Digi+ board on Raspberry Pi2, setting up NAS streaming, and troubleshooting glitches with RuneAudio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmeUxk14vCc

Odd that he had problems with USB, it works great for me. When I tried switching, I couldn't tell any difference between the SPDIF from the Hifi berry DIGI+ and USB, but it might be DAC-dependent.

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jul 2015, 12:13 pm »
The thing that makes the Raspberry pi really interesting is that it can be used as an active cross-over as well.

What? Really :lol: Cool, I would love to read how your experiments work out. I have a number of multichannel DACs here but it will be a while before I can try the same.

avta

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jul 2015, 06:54 pm »
I'm having a problem connecting a wireless Edimax USB to a Raspberry Pi 2. I've tried with Rune and Volumio. I'm able to get online using Ethernet connection to my router and the settings in both OS's show that the wireless USB is " connected " but no lights are showing on the Edimax and there is no evidence it is on my network. I called Edimax support and was told there is likely no driver for this wifi adapter in either of these OS's. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2015, 10:15 pm by avta »