BDP-1 - the problems just keep multiplying

R. Daneel

Re: BDP-1 - the problems just keep multiplying
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jul 2015, 07:11 am »
Hi Daneel

I had similar issue as you describe, with processor overloading after a while of playing high rez files and also checking on interface different paramenters
After some communication with Chris I managed to put BDP in service mode and he fixed something, I don't know exactly what. Since then I upgraded to latest beta firmware (2.17) and this did not happened anymore in normal usage - again, I did not performed stress test as you describe

To have a better view on the CPU utilization you can connect via putty and launch command top. This will show you what processes are called during working of BDP and which one are remaining with high CPU usage

In my case, before Chris intervention, processor usage was growing constantly when playing high resolution files, up to 70-80%. When track was changed in the playback, there was a call to a process probably to change cover art or something that was using 20% processor and then BDP1 was producing distorsions
Now, processor stays 25% for normal playback and may go to 35% in case of high rez files

Hi ttsto!

So the stuttering and distortion never happens during normal playback on your BDP-1?

With mine it does even if I don't do anything as long as the player is connected to the network. When I disconnect the cable, it plays fine.

Cheers!
Antun

ttsto

« Reply #41 on: 29 Jul 2015, 08:48 am »
No, in my case problems appeared only after playing at least 3-4 hours of high rez files and distosions occured only at the begining of track.

Marius

« Reply #42 on: 29 Jul 2015, 12:32 pm »
HI Anton,

Although i don't have your issues, and never experience them while playing hi-res, i do recall that when i first started loading the BDP1 with songs while playing, the stuttering and other audio issues started. Sometimes sounding like being just off of the FM band, really squeeky.

Ive learned to live with the limitations of the BDP, and always have as little services enabled as necessary. Never play while transferring files to it.

That being said, your description sounds more like an issue of unknown traffic to and from the BDP1 rather than a general network issue. Or even en BDP issue.

Are you sure no other machine is trying to read/write from/to your BDP when connected? Ttsto's suggestion of Top sounds sensible, you might not know all that is going on....
No Nas reading it? no utility to keep them drives clean (I've Blueharvest running all the time to clear out the Mac files)? Maybe antivirus should be disabled on the network drive the BDP delivers? Maybe some DLNA polling going on?

Just some little wanderings, please keep us informed. It shouldn't be your BDP1, other than individual errors that ought to be solvable. No reason the upgrade, at least not for this.

Good luck!
Marius

Hi ttsto!

So the stuttering and distortion never happens during normal playback on your BDP-1?

With mine it does even if I don't do anything as long as the player is connected to the network. When I disconnect the cable, it plays fine.

Cheers!
Antun
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2015, 03:03 pm by Marius »

Tympani

« Reply #43 on: 29 Jul 2015, 02:52 pm »
Maybe its just me, but I think this thread's title is unfair. Granted, I understand the frustration in trying to diagnose a problem that is rendering the unit not operational. But there appears to be a good chance this may ultimately be an issue with the setup/network etc. Or maybe with the unit itself. Who knows. The title, however suggests that more and more problems are cropping up in the BDP-1, implying a poor design or at very least a lemon. I appreciate the forum's openness, and the opportunity to educate. But it seems so many threads get started with an operational challenge, which after a quick diagnostic process with customer service, often ends up with a "never mind, I had this gizmo or that setup wrong". Maybe bird-dogging the problem for a while first with CS before starting a thread would make more sense.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #44 on: 29 Jul 2015, 02:58 pm »
Maybe its just me, but I think this thread's title is unfair. Granted, I understand the frustration in trying to diagnose a problem that is rendering the unit not operational. But there appears to be a good chance this may ultimately be an issue with the setup/network etc. Or maybe with the unit itself. Who knows. The title, however suggests that more and more problems are cropping up in the BDP-1, implying a poor design or at very least a lemon. I appreciate the forum's openness, and the opportunity to educate. But it seems so many threads get started with an operational challenge, which after a quick diagnostic process with customer service, often ends up with a "never mind, I had this gizmo or that setup wrong"

+1

R. Daneel

« Reply #45 on: 29 Jul 2015, 03:16 pm »
No, in my case problems appeared only after playing at least 3-4 hours of high rez files and distosions occured only at the begining of track.

Hi!

Oh, I see. So it seemed like BDP-1 would reach a certain pojnt where it could no longer play the files reliably. It's not the case here. I wish it was, then we'd have a good starting point!

Thanks!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #46 on: 29 Jul 2015, 03:31 pm »
HI Anton,

Although i don't have your issues, and never experience them while playing hi-res, i do recall that when i first started loading the BDP1 with songs while playing, the stuttering and other audio issues started. Sometimes sounding like being just off of the FM band, really squeeky.

Ive learned to live with the limitations of the BDP, and always have as little services enabled as necessary. Never play while transferring files to it.

That being said, your description sounds more like an issue of unknown traffic to and from the BDP1 rather than a general network issue. Or even en BDP issue.

Are you sure no other machine is trying to read/write from/to your BDP when connected? Ttsto's suggestion of Top sounds sensible, you might not know all that is going on....
No Nas reading it? no utility to keep them drives clean (I've Blueharvest running all the time to clear out the Mac files)? Maybe antivirus should be disabled on the network drive the BDP delivers? Maybe some DLNA polling going on?

Just some little wanderings, please keep us informed. It shouldn't be your BDP1, other than individual errors that ought to be solvable. No reason the upgrade, at least not for this.

Good luck!
Marius

Hi Marius!

This is exactly what Chris asked me. He wanted to know if there was an ad blocker in place or a firewall of some sort. We also tried both Chrome and Firefox browsers. His idea is that the browser and BDP-1 don't communicate well and it causes BDP-1 to misbehave.

But to your question - apart from the thumbdrives plugged into the BDP-1, there are no files being exhanged between it and the computer or the NAS.

I don't know what Chris did yesterday. I've sent him an email so I will be sure to report back.

Thank you!
Antun

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #47 on: 29 Jul 2015, 05:05 pm »
I may have missed this, but can you give some details on your network setup (including makes/models)?

- Garrett

mrhyfy

mrhyfy

« Reply #49 on: 29 Jul 2015, 05:23 pm »
Maybe its just me, but I think this thread's title is unfair. Granted, I understand the frustration in trying to diagnose a problem that is rendering the unit not operational. But there appears to be a good chance this may ultimately be an issue with the setup/network etc. Or maybe with the unit itself. Who knows. The title, however suggests that more and more problems are cropping up in the BDP-1, implying a poor design or at very least a lemon. I appreciate the forum's openness, and the opportunity to educate. But it seems so many threads get started with an operational challenge, which after a quick diagnostic process with customer service, often ends up with a "never mind, I had this gizmo or that setup wrong". Maybe bird-dogging the problem for a while first with CS before starting a thread would make more sense.

+1 to this one above! :oops: :oops:

R. Daneel

« Reply #50 on: 29 Jul 2015, 06:21 pm »
I may have missed this, but can you give some details on your network setup (including makes/models)?

- Garrett

Hi Garret!

I have written down all the designations I could find on the devices.

The router is downstairs (Technicolor TG788ivn V2) and connected to a switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1005D). There is a NAS drive (D-LINK DNS320) connected to this switch and another LAN cable running from this switch to another switch located upstairs. This switch is TP-LINK also and there is a PC connected to it as well as the BDP-1. There's nothing else.

The NAS is used only for storage, not streaming. I copy the music from it to a thumbdrive, plug the thumbdrive into the BDP-1 and play the music like that. So I really use the network only to control the BDP-1. I don't even use internet radio.

The router is a bit of a hassle since it says "VIP" on the front meaning it belongs to the internet provider and it's setting menus are locked and accessible only by them. Sadly, this appears to be common practice in these spaces. I cannot use a different router because neither internet nor TV will work.

Thanks!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #51 on: 29 Jul 2015, 06:26 pm »
As for the title of this threat, it is fully justified. This has been going on for months. Mr. Tanner kindly suggested I should forfeit the BDP-2 upgrade if it doesn't bring audible improvements and I highly appreciate his honesty but he himself didn't have any objections to this thread so I don't know why some of you do. We are all grown up. There are no lines to read in-between or hidden meaning in the title, it describes the situation quite accurately.

Cheers!
Antun

rmurray

« Reply #52 on: 29 Jul 2015, 10:07 pm »
As for the title of this threat, it is fully justified. This has been going on for months. Mr. Tanner kindly suggested I should forfeit the BDP-2 upgrade if it doesn't bring audible improvements and I highly appreciate his honesty but he himself didn't have any objections to this thread so I don't know why some of you do. We are all grown up. There are no lines to read in-between or hidden meaning in the title, it describes the situation quite accurately.

Cheers!
Antun
      +1 :thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #53 on: 29 Jul 2015, 10:29 pm »
Have you taken the unit to someone's house to try on a different network? If no, I would try that. That should eliminate anything related to your network configuration.

If yes I think it's time to send it back to the factory for repair.

Krutsch

« Reply #54 on: 29 Jul 2015, 10:57 pm »
Hi Krutsch!

Can you check something for me please?

1. play some 24/192 songs
2. go to the bottom of the screen where there is a line of icons named System, Disk information, Audio devices etc.
3. click on these icons in rapid succession focusing on the first three icons on the left
4. continue clicking on these icons for approximately 10 seconds
5. at this point my BDP-1 starts stuttering
6. if your BDP-1 starts stuttering, go to "Services" and monitor the CPU load
7. At this point my BDP-1 continues to stutter till you pause or stop playback for a couple of seconds

This is not at all complicate so I hope you can do it. That would tell us how much resources is spent elsewhere instead of playback and would at least give me some piece of mind.

Thanks!
Antun

I'm not going to bother with that; the BDP-1 is a highly optimized and tuned system - it sounds unbelievable, as a result. If you start mashing buttons, I'm sure you can get node and php (the processes that render the Manic Moose UI) to spike, which will may starve mpd during 192k playback.

So what?

Try this: upload your music, navigate to what you want to play, start playback and then leave it alone. That's the use case for which the BDP-1 was designed. If you can't do that, then open a support ticket with Bryston and see what's wrong with your device.

With my BDP-1, I can play 192k tracks all night long without missing a beat - from either USB thumb drives or an attached HDD or SSD (I've tried both, but went with SSD because I can hear the physical HDD spinning from my desk).

R. Daneel

« Reply #55 on: 30 Jul 2015, 03:32 pm »
Try this: upload your music, navigate to what you want to play, start playback and then leave it alone. That's the use case for which the BDP-1 was designed. If you can't do that, then open a support ticket with Bryston and see what's wrong with your device.

This is precisely what I have been doing. I bought the machine for the sole purpose of playing high-res music using the player as a stand-alone device. No network and silly tablets that make you read your emails before anything else. But plug & play it isn't.

Marius

« Reply #56 on: 30 Jul 2015, 03:51 pm »

The router is downstairs (Technicolor TG788ivn V2) and connected to a switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1005D). There is a NAS drive (D-LINK DNS320) connected to this switch and another LAN cable running from this switch to another switch located upstairs. This switch is TP-LINK also and there is a PC connected to it as well as the BDP-1. There's nothing else.

One thing you could try is take the PC out of this last switch. Somehow I read 'electric distortion' in your adventure. The pc could cause this. If not, that's one good thing to know...

Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #57 on: 30 Jul 2015, 04:56 pm »
This is precisely what I have been doing. I bought the machine for the sole purpose of playing high-res music using the player as a stand-alone device. No network and silly tablets that make you read your emails before anything else. But plug & play it isn't.

Have you tried disconnecting the network (physically remove the RJ-45 plug) and playing 192k tracks via the front panel controls? That would be telling.

If you are still having problems, then you need to let Chris into the device via a support ID. If not, then start removing stuff from your network until you find the offending device.

R. Daneel

« Reply #58 on: 30 Jul 2015, 05:30 pm »
Have you tried disconnecting the network (physically remove the RJ-45 plug) and playing 192k tracks via the front panel controls? That would be telling.

If you are still having problems, then you need to let Chris into the device via a support ID. If not, then start removing stuff from your network until you find the offending device.

I thought I mentioned several times Chris is looking into it and has been doing so for a while. Besides, how else would I have found the network was causing it if I hadn't diconnected it? I thought this was obvious.

R. Daneel

« Reply #59 on: 30 Jul 2015, 05:32 pm »
One thing you could try is take the PC out of this last switch. Somehow I read 'electric distortion' in your adventure. The pc could cause this. If not, that's one good thing to know...

Marius

Hi Marius!

I'll connect it directly to the router downstairs and see if that makes any difference and let you know.

Thanks!
Antun