A new product: Synchro-Mesh reclocker

audioengr

A new product: Synchro-Mesh reclocker
« on: 31 Dec 2011, 10:46 pm »
The Synchro-Mesh is a result of many requests for a reclocker that works with any device, no mods to the device required.

Unlike the Pace-Car, the Synchro-Mesh does not deliver bit-perfect data.  It is resampled.  As the name suggests, it matches the speed of any device to the speed of the new Master Clock in the Synchro-Mesh, providing a low-jitter but not bit-perfect output. It utilizes the best resampler chip ever developed with very low distortion and noise floor.

The Synchro-Mesh uses the clock and Hynes regulator technology in other Empirical Audio products.

Some photos of the first working board:

As you can see, it has inputs: 
Toslink, S/PDIF RCA, S/PDIF 75 ohm BNC

and outputs:
Toslink, S/PDIF RCA, S/PDIF 75 ohm BNC

It is galvanically isolated on input and output.

It resamples and outputs 44.1, but can output 16-bit or 24-bit (switch selectable).  Other versions may be offered at 24/96 if there is enough demand, and one clock upgrade may be offered.

This is the ideal device to use with Apple TV, Sonos, AirPort Express, Wadia i170 and many all-in-one servers.  It also works nicely with any CD transport.  It simply inserts in-line between the source device and the DAC, SS processor or SS receiver.  Two cables are required.  Comes with an AC adapter.  Pricing TBD, but the standard Synchro-Mesh is expected to be in the $400-500 range.

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2013, 12:21 am by audioengr »

serengetiplains

Re: A new product: Synchro-Mesh reclocker
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2012, 12:20 am »
Cool.   8)

One question.  For use with, say, Apple TV, does the Synchro-Mesh introduce a delay?  A delay could unsync audio and video.

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2012, 01:00 am »
Cool.   8)

One question.  For use with, say, Apple TV, does the Synchro-Mesh introduce a delay?  A delay could unsync audio and video.

Good question.  I dont believe so, but the chip specs dont give a clue here.  I need to beta test one with a customer.  Are you volunteering?

I am using it right now with a stock Sonos.  Big difference.

Steve N.

serengetiplains

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2012, 01:05 am »
Sure I'll volunteer.  I need better movie-watching sound.  I have a video scaler with which I can adjust audio latency, if required.  I think I will put the board inside my scaler (lots of room) so I don't need a case.  Let me know payment details etc., here or through PM.

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2012, 01:10 am »
Sure I'll volunteer.  I need better movie-watching sound.  I have a video scaler with which I can adjust audio latency, if required.  I think I will put the board inside my scaler (lots of room) so I don't need a case.  Let me know payment details etc., here or through PM.

If you only need the board, then you can get this a LOT sooner.  Its a new case size and I dont have them yet.  I was planning to do a rev 2 PC board for production to get rid of that blue wire etc..

I can maybe build another one by hand for you.  Otherwise, you would have to wait 2 months.  Shipping to Canada is a bit of a hassle for a beta too...

Is your audio sample-rate with the movies 44.1 or 48?

Steve N.

serengetiplains

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2012, 01:26 am »
Yeah, I just need the board, and I don't mind the blue wire.  My sample rate is 44.1.

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2012, 01:29 am »
Yeah, I just need the board, and I don't mind the blue wire.  My sample rate is 44.1.

Okay, it takes me a day to build one.  I should have free time for this in the next two weeks.  I have to complete the BOM to see what the pricing will be.  I'll let you know by email.

Steve N.

serengetiplains

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2012, 01:35 am »
Ok, Steve, sounds good.  Happy New Year!

Brucemck

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2012, 06:27 pm »
Steve, if used with a Sonos or AppleTV or similar, how does it sound (assuming it's set to output the same sample rate that's coming in)?

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2012, 06:44 pm »
Steve, if used with a Sonos or AppleTV or similar, how does it sound (assuming it's set to output the same sample rate that's coming in)?

I am using Sonos with one right now.  Without it, the image collapses into a ball at the front center and the detail is muddy.  With it, the detail is crisp and imaging is great. Wide and deep soundstage.  I have a percussion track that really shows this.

It does not achieve that last 5% that my USB interface gets, but its really close. The Turboclock also delivers better bass.  You will not miss it though since the bass using Turboclock is really over the top, better than any other source I have had.

It only supports one sample-rate, 44.1.

Steve N.

twosheltons

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2012, 05:20 pm »
Very pleased to hear about the Synchro-Mesh re-clocker.   As a Sonos user, I love the Ipad interface but the sound quality could be better.  Pace-Car is a excellent solution for better sound.  But for those with a more limited budget, it’s nice to have another option from Empirical Audio.   

I wonder how the Synchro-Mesh re-clocker compares to the Sonos mod from Wyred4Sound… or Pace-Car?  Hopefully, the sound quality is somewhere in between.   

Reading the initial comments above, I gather the SM re-clocker will not play hi-resolution music.  Is the re-clocker designed to be easily be modified to play hi-resolution music if that capability is offered later?   If not, Pace-Car may be the better, “future-proof” solution for many.

audioengr

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2012, 07:30 pm »
Very pleased to hear about the Synchro-Mesh re-clocker.   As a Sonos user, I love the Ipad interface but the sound quality could be better.  Pace-Car is a excellent solution for better sound.  But for those with a more limited budget, it’s nice to have another option from Empirical Audio.   

I wonder how the Synchro-Mesh re-clocker compares to the Sonos mod from Wyred4Sound… or Pace-Car?  Hopefully, the sound quality is somewhere in between.

I think it is almost as good as the Pace-Car. Pace-Car can use better clocks however.

Reading the initial comments above, I gather the SM re-clocker will not play hi-resolution music.  Is the re-clocker designed to be easily be modified to play hi-resolution music if that capability is offered later?   If not, Pace-Car may be the better, “future-proof” solution for many.

The current model is designed to reduce cost, so it only outputs one sample-rate.  It could be 24/96 however.  If you wanted 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 resampled to 24/96, it can do this.

Steve N.

bhobba

« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:40 am »
Hi Steve

Just a quick question for Squeezebox users.  On The Squeezebox you can use its internal up-sampling and internal volume control no problem without bit dropping because it upsamples to 24 bit.  If fed 24bit's will the re-clocker only accept the first 16 so you really can't use the digital volume control?

Thanks
Bill

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2012, 04:04 am »
I have a Playstation 3 streaming netflix to a mini-DSP (24/96) and fully active digital speakers using tube amps.  If you need a tester for a platform other than Apple TV, I volunteer! :)

johnnydarko

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2012, 04:17 am »
Ooooh this looks VERY interesting.   :D

Steve N, you have email.

audioengr

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2012, 05:46 am »
Hi Steve

Just a quick question for Squeezebox users.  On The Squeezebox you can use its internal up-sampling and internal volume control no problem without bit dropping because it upsamples to 24 bit.  If fed 24bit's will the re-clocker only accept the first 16 so you really can't use the digital volume control?

Thanks
Bill

I think the volume control will work in any case.  You can select 16 or 24 bit output. It can resample at 44.1 or 96 or any other rate you need, but only one.

Steve N.

bhobba

« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2012, 08:41 am »
I think the volume control will work in any case.  You can select 16 or 24 bit output. It can resample at 44.1 or 96 or any other rate you need, but only one.

Steve N.

Thanks Steve.

I guess that means it accepts 24 bits without bit dropping.

I have posted about it on the forum out here in Aus and already and a couple of people are interested.  I thought this was something they would want to know so wanted it out there.

Just another question could you do an I2S output version for DAC's that accept it?

Thanks
Bill

audioengr

« Reply #17 on: 3 Feb 2012, 05:00 pm »
Thanks Steve.

I guess that means it accepts 24 bits without bit dropping.

I have posted about it on the forum out here in Aus and already and a couple of people are interested.  I thought this was something they would want to know so wanted it out there.

Just another question could you do an I2S output version for DAC's that accept it?

Thanks
Bill

I2S is possible, but its another design.  I think my Hot-Rod DAC is probably more important to design....

The OR5 makes mores sense if you are going to the trouble of I2S.

Steve N.

R-A-W

« Reply #18 on: 4 Feb 2012, 06:46 pm »
Steve,
What is your planning for the hot rod dac?
Very much interested.
Will it have balanced out?

Roger

audioengr

« Reply #19 on: 4 Feb 2012, 06:50 pm »
Steve,
What is your planning for the hot rod dac?
Very much interested.
Will it have balanced out?

Roger

In order to make it affordable and high performance, it will have USB input only and RCA outs only.  No Volume control.

Steve N.