Picture Of The Day

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #3860 on: 21 Mar 2015, 01:09 am »
Some fine lookin' crawdads there Bob. Makes my mouth water.   :drool: :drool: Who knew back in the day when we just messed with them in the local creek they were actually some fine dining.  :thumb:
Thanks, and "Amen to that".
Played with MANY of those as a kid. Then, I'd have laughed at you at the thought of eating one.
But that's the difference between a midwestern kid and a cajun kid.   :lol:

The pic was taken last year at an LSU party here in STL.
Some friends from "there" came up "here" to visit and brought me and wifey (opposite me) to try out a slice of their world. Awesome.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3861 on: 21 Mar 2015, 01:22 am »
Thanks, and "Amen to that".
Played with MANY of those as a kid. Then, I'd have laughed at you at the thought of eating one.
But that's the difference between a midwestern kid and a cajun kid.   :lol:

Yes sir. There are a number of things I miss from the Midwest. While it seems from minor research to be a mostly Indiana thing, deep fried (oops, forgot the rather critical) breaded butterfly pork tenderloin sandwiches are one of the most missed culinary items. Haven't run across anyone west of the Rockies who even heard of such a thing. Being the chef that you are you might want to check them out. Don't have any recipes to recommend, but there must be some somewhere on the net, and of course, simple is usually better.

Lots to be happy with about a Midwest upbringing. Of course a lot of folks west of the Rockies consider that part of the country the Mideast. Oh well, such is life.  :D

Jon L

« Reply #3862 on: 21 Mar 2015, 11:04 pm »

DSC09282prov by drjlo1, on Flickr

26 mm worth of extension tubes and some DIY macro lights

SonyA7rMacroLight by drjlo1, on Flickr

bside123

« Reply #3863 on: 23 Mar 2015, 04:43 pm »
A touching moment...

Visiting Mama's Gravesite - 2

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #3864 on: 23 Mar 2015, 07:04 pm »

Don_S

« Reply #3865 on: 23 Mar 2015, 07:55 pm »
OK Camera geniuses, tell me how I did this.  I know, but can you figure it out?   :lol:

low.pfile

« Reply #3866 on: 24 Mar 2015, 06:35 am »
A touching moment...

I see this as wonderful bside123. But, at the same time wrenching. Young parent deaths are hard to accept. A very, very close friend of mine passed with a preteen daughter [I was bedside] and my very young nephew, who was the father of a newborn, tragically passed away in the recently. So I am seeing too many graveside images [which I never thought of capturing myself] but these are poignant and telling of current life. Thank you for the fortitude to preserve these images as it is a difficult subject matter.

[semi] relatedly, just this afternoon, I happened upon a cemetery, along the Northern California coast for the residents of a Russian immigrant community. none of the graves had names.

Emil

« Reply #3867 on: 29 Mar 2015, 09:03 pm »
Some pics from the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, New York

FireGuy

« Reply #3868 on: 29 Mar 2015, 11:26 pm »
New rescue pumper put  in service today after staging and installing equipment.  Via Olympus SZ-16

Guy 13

« Reply #3869 on: 30 Mar 2015, 01:34 am »
New rescue pumper put  in service today after staging and installing equipment.  Via Olympus SZ-16

Hi FireGuy,
really, really nice red fire truck.
I don't know why, but I always liked to look at red fire trucks.
May I ask how much a red fire truck like that cost?
Any more pictures?
Do you have a picture(s) of a two sections fire truck,
the one with a long ladder.
Any pictures of any red fire trucks in action?
I am sure other AC members would be interested in looking at pictures
and of course,
if Mr. FireGuy himself would be in the picture it would make the picture(s)
more interesting and lively.
Thanks.

Guy 13

FireGuy

« Reply #3870 on: 31 Mar 2015, 05:33 pm »
Hello Guy 13.  I'll do my best to get some action photos together of other apparatus.  I have to rely however on other resources as I pretty much participate in the mitigation process.

Cost for the rigs varies   Most are made custom and depending on manufacturer/features/specs can range from $400K to over one million.  And you thought some speaker companies were expensive. 

bside123

« Reply #3871 on: 31 Mar 2015, 11:18 pm »
More Backyard Birds!

I'm still having loads of fun with my new long lens, capturing these little, common guys that so many of us overlook. They certainly don't get the fanfare of the large, exotic birds such as raptors, etc., but having photos of them gives me new appreciation for their beauty, personality, sophistication and social habits. They are very cool... in their own right.

Tree Sparrow

North American Cardinal - Young Female

Don_S

« Reply #3872 on: 1 Apr 2015, 01:02 am »
bside 123,

Great pics.  Excellent focus on the birds.   :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #3873 on: 1 Apr 2015, 02:14 am »
Hello Guy 13.  I'll do my best to get some action photos together of other apparatus.  I have to rely however on other resources as I pretty much participate in the mitigation process.

Cost for the rigs varies   Most are made custom and depending on manufacturer/features/specs can range from $400K to over one million.  And you thought some speaker companies were expensive.
Hi FireGuy,
thanks for the info.
One million $ for a shinny red fire truck, that's a lot of $$$
but I am sure it's worth every pennies.
I know it's not easy to get pictures of fireman in action,
that's why I will say:
If you can, no problem, don't risk your life to get an awesome picture,
you already have to risk your life fighting fires
and even just getting to the scene.
Thanks.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #3874 on: 1 Apr 2015, 05:54 am »
More Backyard Birds!

I'm still having loads of fun with my new long lens, capturing these little, common guys that so many of us overlook. They certainly don't get the fanfare of the large, exotic birds such as raptors, etc., but having photos of them gives me new appreciation for their beauty, personality, sophistication and social habits. They are very cool... in their own right.

Tree Sparrow

North American Cardinal - Young Female

Hi bside123,
the first thing that come up to mind with this little one,
it looks like he's got a fur coat.
The second one (Cardinal) I like the facial expression
and of course, the color of his beack.
I call those two pictures: Perfect !
Composition, exposure, back ground...

Guy 13

bside123

« Reply #3875 on: 1 Apr 2015, 01:58 pm »
Hi bside123,
the first thing that come up to mind with this little one,
it looks like he's got a fur coat.
The second one (Cardinal) I like the facial expression
and of course, the color of his beack.
I call those two pictures: Perfect !
Composition, exposure, back ground...

Guy 13

Thanks Guy! Actually shooting birds is very new for me, but I'm trying to get some good captures.

Guy 13

« Reply #3876 on: 2 Apr 2015, 09:06 am »
Thanks Guy! Actually shooting birds is very new for me, but I'm trying to get some good captures.

Hi bside123,
if birds shooting (With a camera of course...) is something new for you,
well you are pretty good at it.
Keep practicing and you will get only better.
Already very good for someone new at it.
By the way, may I ask, where to do live
to have some nice little ones like that near your house?

Guy 13

bside123

« Reply #3877 on: 2 Apr 2015, 01:27 pm »
Hi bside123,
if birds shooting (With a camera of course...) is something new for you,
well you are pretty good at it.
Keep practicing and you will get only better.
Already very good for someone new at it.
By the way, may I ask, where to do live
to have some nice little ones like that near your house?

Guy 13

Hi Guy,
Again, thanks for the compliments, but I figure that even a blind chicken can find a kernel of corn if he pecks enough! I live in Southern Illinois, in the most southern tip of the state.
The birds that I've been shooting lately are the "easy" picks from the trees around the house. We do have many varieties of big, exciting and exotic birds as well, e.g., hawks, eagles, owls,
woodpeckers, heron, etc. Perhaps one day, I can turn my lens on them. In the meantime, I getting familiar with the common, everyday type of guys that seem to come and go from every
tree around here. Take for example his rogue, nest robber of a bird... that many consider a pest!

Brown-Headed Cowbird

Guy 13

« Reply #3878 on: 2 Apr 2015, 01:38 pm »
Hi Guy,
Again, thanks for the compliments, but I figure that even a blind chicken can find a kernel of corn if he pecks enough! I live in Southern Illinois, in the most southern tip of the state.
The birds that I've been shooting lately are the "easy" picks from the trees around the house. We do have many varieties of big, exciting and exotic birds as well, e.g., hawks, eagles, owls,
woodpeckers, heron, etc. Perhaps one day, I can turn my lens on them. In the meantime, I getting familiar with the common, everyday type of guys that seem to come and go from every
tree around here. Take for example his rogue, nest robber of a bird... that many consider a pest!

Hi bside123
Thanks for the details.
If I had to say which of the birds I like to see the most, I think it's the owls.
Beautiful and spooky...

Guy 13

milford3

« Reply #3879 on: 2 Apr 2015, 07:21 pm »

Hey FireGuy.  A look at the 1968 Maxim 100 foot aerial