CD vs SACD vs DVD-A - Long but interesting read

TerryO

Re: CD vs SACD vs DVD-A - Long but interesting read
« Reply #20 on: 8 Sep 2009, 05:31 am »
There is even more to making a great sounding CD than top notch recording and mastering. You need first rate replication at the CD plant as well. Check out this link to FIM: http://www.firstimpressionmusic.com/Articles.asp?ID=132.
Chris H.

In reference to your posting above, Winston Ma the owner of FIM, is a member of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society. He played an important part in the various listening tests I previously mentioned, along with Gary Leonard Koh (Member & Owner/CEO of Genesis Advanced Technologies), Bruce Brown (Member & Owner, Puget Sound Studios) and to a much lesser extent, myself (Member & regular guy).
I should also mention Dan Schmalle (Doc Bottlehead) and Paul Stubblebine (Paul Stubblebine Mastering) for their demonstrations, especially regarding their Tape Project recordings.

Best Regards,
TerryO

SF

« Reply #21 on: 9 Sep 2009, 05:51 pm »
But even if we assume that there is an audible difference, it might very well be that we cannot detect it. We listen mostly to imperfect speakers and imperfect rooms. For instance we can come close to perfect linearity in frequency with speaker X in an anechoic chamber, but if we place it in a room, we will not hear 'perfect' sound.

I don't think that the bottle-neck is the nature of the digital medium. It is, by far, overshadowed by other factors. To put it in other words: you will not tell the difference between SACD vs. CD if you can't chose the couch and can't chose where it goes."

Having said that, we would all anticipate some difference given the beating the signal takes with 44.1 KHz sampling. But there certainly be a limitation based on the law of diminishing returns. If not 16 bit, then perhaps at 20 bits; regardless, I think that with the CD format, we have come very close.

I am not sure how far we can push, but we have bigger fish to fry than trying to squeeze out a BENEFICIAL auditory experience from SACD assuming perfect equipment but imperfect listening room.

What do you think? Too pessimistic?

Given domestic set-ups and its inherent limitations, are we limiting our auditory experiences in a major fashion? And this is not even tackling mastering techniques etc..

TerryO

« Reply #22 on: 10 Sep 2009, 05:46 am »
But even if we assume that there is an audible difference, it might very well be that we cannot detect it. We listen mostly to imperfect speakers and imperfect rooms. For instance we can come close to perfect linearity in frequency with speaker X in an anechoic chamber, but if we place it in a room, we will not hear 'perfect' sound.

I don't think that the bottle-neck is the nature of the digital medium. It is, by far, overshadowed by other factors. To put it in other words: you will not tell the difference between SACD vs. CD if you can't chose the couch and can't chose where it goes."

Having said that, we would all anticipate some difference given the beating the signal takes with 44.1 KHz sampling. But there certainly be a limitation based on the law of diminishing returns. If not 16 bit, then perhaps at 20 bits; regardless, I think that with the CD format, we have come very close.

I am not sure how far we can push, but we have bigger fish to fry than trying to squeeze out a BENEFICIAL auditory experience from SACD assuming perfect equipment but imperfect listening room.

What do you think? Too pessimistic?

Given domestic set-ups and its inherent limitations, are we limiting our auditory experiences in a major fashion? And this is not even tackling mastering techniques etc..

I guess my experience is at odds with yours, but then, having the availability of a variety of source material at hand to conduct AB comparisons is an advantage that is not normally available to most listeners.

One such comparison we conducted was first playing an FIM CD (XRCD24?) and then the glass master that had been used to produce that CD. I can tell you for a fact, that of the approximately 20+ members that listened, not one thought they were even close to sounding the same and all agreed that the glass master was much better sounding.
It should be noted that our club system is pretty good, although many of you may actually have much better gear, and the room is in the basement of a Church. The acoustics (IMO) are not very satisfactory, but the rent is low.

It may be, as is often suggested, all ones and zeros, but they reside in an imperfect, physical world and I suppose that's where the trouble begins. Commercial CDs are stamped out and the QC of the companies vary. What this means is that some of the labels may change the "stampers" often and others don't. This is very much like LPs, where the records produced at the end of a production run using a particular "stamper" are inferior to the first ones produced. This is one of the reasons that the Direct to Disk LP recordings were often superb sounding, as the total number of records produced was limited in order to insure the quality. This is not an apple and oranges comparison, as we're addressing a physical process that includes wear and a subsequent decline in quality during production. The care taken in the production of the medium is very important and can mean the difference between an excellent CD (or LP) and a mediocre one that utilizes the same source, such as a master tape.

One thing that can sometimes give you an improvement is to wash and polish your new CD. In the manufacturing process a parting compound or release agent is used to allow separating the plastic (that is applied to the metal foil or data medium) from the press. A cloudy surface, resulting from the residue, interferes with the ability to read the disk and can produce errors.

People that are really into burning their own copies have claimed that their copies can be better than the original disk that is used as the source. Using a product such as EAC (excellent freeware) to first correct the errors in the digital domain, the data is then transferred to the disk using a quality burner that will give sharp, precise pits (remember that old worn out stamper?) that can be more easily read and allows a much reduced block error rate (BLER).

In the last two or three years a lot has happened to improve the quality of the digital reproduction of music. While vinyl is still capable of, and often does, outperform CDs, the gap has been narrowed quite a bit and the day is approaching when the promise of digital may, at long last, be realized.

This has already turned out to be longer than I intended, but I get up pretty early for work so I'm off to bed.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Mott

« Reply #23 on: 12 Sep 2009, 02:38 am »
Don't know if this means anything and I most likely pointing out the obvious buy my experience from years of writing, recording (to tape and 192/24), mixing, performing, listening and writing about music is that as long as the source and mastering are spot-on, a CD can really perform. I have redbook CDs that trump the exact same title/recording on DVD-A, heavy vinyl, SACD and hard drive. A quick and dirty example of that is the old redbook of Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, not the remastered version. Nice, open and warm disc that can be found for $4.00. It kills all other versions because whoever mastered it used a precise, gentle hand.
In fact, i own many DVD-As and SACDs and most are worthless. I mean, why go to the trouble to master a recording using original mixdown tapes when all the mastering engineer does is hype the EQ and compress the crap out of it? It's not sampling rates and ones and zeroes as much as it is the human touch. And D/A converters have come a long way. Master a CD well and it will even beat vinyl. That's something.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #24 on: 12 Sep 2009, 07:49 pm »
I am getting the impression that more care (pride) goes into the production of a SACD release than its CD counterpart. So, if this is the case - and if we do get superior audio from a SACD because of the extra care, are not these arguments now a mute point?

If you are investing money in a great sounding audio system, why not also go SACD? Should not a versatile system allow the choice of CD/SACD and vinyl options?

Perhaps something to contemplate.

On a side note, I ordered a SACD double set today and the price was only $30, this is only the second SACD I have ordered and the price seems comparable to the CD format.

Be well...

Mag

« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2009, 09:54 pm »
Before getting the BCD-1, multi-channel sacd playback was at a significantly highly level of fidelity than regular cd playback using the Sony NS9100ES. With the BCD-1 as I said before and Yamaha enhancer in multi-channel stereo I get noticeably better results.
 With that new hi-tech player you're getting you may get better sacd playback than what I'm hearing. It seems to me the quality of the source equipment is the determining factor and not the format.

I'm curious to know if one could dsp sacd if it would significantly trump other formats?

TerryO

« Reply #26 on: 12 Sep 2009, 10:01 pm »
I am getting the impression that more care (pride) goes into the production of a SACD release than its CD counterpart. So, if this is the case - and if we do get superior audio from a SACD because of the extra care, are not these arguments now a mute point?

If you are investing money in a great sounding audio system, why not also go SACD? Should not a versatile system allow the choice of CD/SACD and vinyl options?

On a side note, I ordered a SACD double set today and the price was only $30, this is only the second SACD I have ordered and the price seems comparable to the CD format.

Be well...

Laundrew,
In your first statement you use a lot of ifs, and that's the problem, they didn't and they don't.
The new K2HD mastered CDs are in my experience much better sounding than SACD and as an added bonus can be played on a standard player.
SACD is a medium that missed the boat and is now becoming obsolete.

For the time being good vinyl is, after R2R master tapes, still the top of the heap. Digital reproduction is advancing and with developments like K2HD, some lables are already discontinuing SACD in favor of the more advanced formats.

Other than the question of vinyl, and it's pretty close anyway, I'm in agreement with Mott's posting. I wouldn't be surprised that within a couple of years or so, the choice will be whether you can find your favorite performances in a digital format or will still be using vinyl as the only available format.

SACD had great promise, was way under-utilized and now has been left behind. I wouldn't bother spending any money on the format.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Laundrew

« Reply #27 on: 12 Sep 2009, 10:45 pm »

Be well...

Laundrew,
In your first statement you use a lot of ifs, and that's the problem, they didn't and they don't.
The new K2HD mastered CDs are in my experience much better sounding than SACD and as an added bonus can be played on a standard player.

For the time being good vinyl is, after R2R master tapes, still the top of the heap. Digital reproduction is advancing and with developments like K2HD, some lables are already discontinuing SACD in favor of the more advanced formats.

Other than the question of vinyl, and it's pretty close anyway, I'm in agreement with Mott's posting. I wouldn't be surprised that within a couple of years or so, the choice will be whether you can find your favorite performances in a digital format or will still be using vinyl as the only available format.

SACD had great promise, was way under-utilized and now has been left behind. I wouldn't bother spending any money on the format.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hello TerryO,

Some very interesting observations...

The K2HD mastered CDs, are these mainline production (I do not know very much about this) and if so, how do you know if they have used this in a musical release (ifs, eh? such an uncertain world!).

As for SACD, ironically, I did not consider this format when I started looking for a new system. It just happened to be in a CD player that I selected for other reasons (mechanical and electronic). When I auditioned my system, the audio store had a BCD-1 and an Esoteric X-05 (A/B) set-up into the demo system (BP-26/28B/JBL 1400) with identical cables to the CD players. I enjoyed the audio from the Esoteric over the BCD-1, and thought that the Esoteric was well worth the extra cost over the BCD-1 (to my ears anyway). I also enjoyed the SACD selections they used during the demo.

I am looking forward to comparing SACD to CD (same groups/albums) here at home. If (there I go again :oops:) I cannot hear a difference, I will be the first to say it - nothing ventured, nothing gained :wink:

Be well...

TerryO

« Reply #28 on: 12 Sep 2009, 11:18 pm »

Be well...

Laundrew,

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hello TerryO,

The K2HD mastered CDs, are these mainline production (I do not know very much about this) and if so, how do you know if they have used this in a musical release (ifs, eh? such an uncertain world!).

As for SACD, ironically, I did not consider this format when I started looking for a new system. It just happened to be in a CD player that I selected for other reasons (mechanical and electronic). When I auditioned my system, the audio store had a BCD-1 and an Esoteric X-05 (A/B) set-up into the demo system (BP-26/28B/JBL 1400) with identical cables to the CD players. I enjoyed the audio from the Esoteric over the BCD-1, and thought that the Esoteric was well worth the extra cost over the BCD-1 (to my ears anyway). I also enjoyed the SACD selections they used during the demo.

I am looking forward to comparing SACD to CD (same groups/albums) here at home. If (there I go again :oops:) I cannot hear a difference, I will be the first to say it - nothing ventured, nothing gained :wink:

Be well...

Laundrew,

Here's a link: http://www.firstimpressionmusic.com/

You can buy the same music in several formats that are available and then decide for yourself, however the care taken by FIM with each format will probably exceed that of the same format on many of the other regular labels.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Laundrew

« Reply #29 on: 13 Sep 2009, 12:26 am »

Be well...

Laundrew,

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hello TerryO,

Be well...

Laundrew,

Here's a link: http://www.firstimpressionmusic.com/

You can buy the same music in several formats that are available and then decide for yourself, however the care taken by FIM with each format will probably exceed that of the same format on many of the other regular labels.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hello again TerryO,

Thank you very much for the information :thumb:

Be well...

bmoura

« Reply #30 on: 13 Sep 2009, 06:57 am »

Be well...

Laundrew,

Best Regards,
TerryO

Interesting.  My experience is quite different.  I agree that FIM does indeed do some very nice work on their releases - regardless of format (CD, Gold CD, SACD, XRCD, XRCD24, K2HD).  I have a number of the FIM discs from over the years in different formats. 

The FIM XRCD24 and K2HD CDs are nice.  But I find the SACDs from FIM to sound significantly better than the K2HD CDs from FIM.

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 13 Sep 2009, 12:05 pm »
I guess depending on the hardware you use, you may have opinions both ways.  This person agrees with Brian's assessment:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=24041

?Thanks for this world-rocking new, JRA.

"K2 Super Coding", which is related to "XRCD" (eXtended Resolution CD), has been around since 1995. It was from JVC too and persumably the "HD" version is mostly an evolutionary advancement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende...n_Compact_Disc

I have a few jazz K2's, and to me they sound good but not better (or even as good), as the SACDs or HDCDs that I own. Do we need another hi-rez format? If people cared they'd buy SACD or DVD-A (which are also multi-channel): why should buy K2HD in preference? What is most absurd is that K2HD prices are likely to run higher than these proven hi-rez media. It looks like this is just another proprietary scheme to skim more money from suckers -- of course there's definitely nothing new about that.

On the other hand, they might do OK in Japan. There's a place where the domestic market seems to suck up a bizzare range of pricey products that can't be sold elsewhere in the world.
__________________?

I personally have not heard one and although I have a BCD-1 based on the many hi-rez discs I have, given equal attention paid to mixing and mastering, I can't imagine the highs and lows being equal to plain old CD.  That's not to say that I don't have SACDs in my collection that could have been lots better sonically.  The problem with a label like FIM is that there is not really mainstream stuff released.  I think I have 3 of their SACD titles.  It's nice to have well recorded stuff but I'm not about to ditch the collection of what I like simply due to the fact the recording quality could have been better.  I guess I'd be curious as to what everyone is listening on (speakers, players, etc.).

bmoura

« Reply #32 on: 19 Sep 2009, 07:39 am »
I guess depending on the hardware you use, you may have opinions both ways.  This person agrees with Brian's assessment:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=24041

The equipment is always a big part of it.  I've found that the quality of the analog sections in disc players varies widely.  It's certainly one reason for the large differences in price between entry level and audiophile quality disc players.  The sonic differences between lower end players and the higher end ones can be quite significant.

I'd also agree with you that FIM discs aren't comparable to mainstream releases.  They are aimed at audio fans who are able to discern subtle differences in sound.  For example, when it comes to the FIM releases, I find their XRCD/24 discs sonically superior to the earlier XRCD discs.  I'm not sure that the average consumer with a low priced CD/DVD player would note the same differences.

That's one reason I was disappointed that FIM didn't go further in their XRCD/24 releases of the classic Sheffield discs.  The ones that came out were very good indeed !

Laundrew

« Reply #33 on: 28 Sep 2009, 06:52 pm »
A dilemma...

I picked up a SACD a few days ago "Saint-Saens, Symphonie No 3" and the audio quality is simply awesome. Here is the kicker - I cannot compare it against a standard CD version of this album. So the jury is still, unfortunately out. I have a Dead Can Dance SACD box set on order and I will be able to a direct comparison with some of my standard Dead Can Dance CDs.

On a side note, I have had my Esoteric CD player for over a week now and its performance is outstanding, if you are in the market for a CD player - give Esoteric an audition :thumb:

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #34 on: 3 Oct 2009, 04:57 pm »
Just when you think that it can't get any better...

I received my SACD version of "War of the Worlds" today. This was definitely the litmus test as I also have the regular CD version.

So, is there a difference in audio quality? 

Absolutely!

The audio quality bar has once again, been raised. Was the extra cost of a SACD player justifiable over a Redbook CD player?

Yes...

I realized that I may have been somewhat biased, so a small, blind, test was in order - I required a test subject. "Hon," I shouted upstairs - can you come down for a minute please? My unsuspecting test subject appeared in my room and I asked her to have a seat.

"Tell me which CD you like the best," I announced.

I played a track from the Redbook CD and I asked how she liked it - "sounds nice," she said. I then played the same track of the SACD version - The immediate grin on her face told me everything I wanted to know. So, what did you think of this CD - "It was a lot clearer," she said. I noticed that the flutes had a more hollow raspy quality on the SACD version - The instruments on a whole had more life to them.

I will now look to purchase SACDs when I can find them - end of storey.

Be well...   

Mag

« Reply #35 on: 3 Oct 2009, 06:54 pm »
Not so fast!  :flak:
Is that the re-mastered redbook version? I never purchased the sacd version cause I thought the re-mastered cd is pretty darn good.
I have/had the lp, which I played quite abit, but not so much, lately.

Laundrew

« Reply #36 on: 3 Oct 2009, 07:49 pm »
Is that the re-mastered redbook version? I never purchased the sacd version cause I thought the re-mastered cd is pretty darn good.

Hello Mag,

Do you know what date the re-mastered(?) version is? The Redbook version I have says "digitally mastered." I know that a "remake" of this CD is also out and I am trying to track it down (of course, in SACD). The re-make is susposed to have more music with it and is a different album. I am very much looking forward to my SACD "Dead Can Dance" Box set and complete another A/B test. I would also like to find the War of the Worlds LP.

To quote an awesome quote...

"The demo is everything!"

Mag

« Reply #37 on: 3 Oct 2009, 08:36 pm »

Hello Mag,

Do you know what date the re-mastered(?) version is? The Redbook version I have says "digitally mastered." I know that a "remake" of this CD is also out and I am trying to track it down (of course, in SACD). The re-make is susposed to have more music with it and is a different album. I am very much looking forward to my SACD "Dead Can Dance" Box set and complete another A/B test. I would also like to find the War of the Worlds LP.

The version I got has the 4 bonus tracks '95 remix. Uses 20-bit Super Bit Mapping, SBM. Not sure when it was released can't read the small print. I bought it at least a year before I seen the sacd version.

Some of my lps disappeared, I have to check to see if I still have the lp.

I found with my BCD-1 that the hybrid cd quality improves significantly when transferred to cd-r. Others have commented they heard no difference with a transfer.

Laundrew

« Reply #38 on: 3 Oct 2009, 09:33 pm »

Hello Mag,

The version I got has the 4 bonus tracks '95 remix. Uses 20-bit Super Bit Mapping, SBM. Not sure when it was released can't read the small print. I bought it at least a year before I seen the sacd version.

Some of my lps disappeared, I have to check to see if I still have the lp.

I found with my BCD-1 that the hybrid cd quality improves significantly when transferred to cd-r. Others have commented they heard no difference with a transfer.

I do have a remix version "ULLA dub ULLA," but I cannot compare this to the first release as it is more of an electronic version and not the same album.

Laundrew

« Reply #39 on: 5 Mar 2010, 06:21 pm »
Oh sweet bliss… My Dead Can Dance SACD box set arrived today coinciding with the beginning of my vacation - it does not get any better than this.

Be well…