Bryston's new speaker cable

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: Bryston's new speaker cable
« Reply #60 on: 28 Nov 2010, 06:48 pm »
Yeh, mine are six feet long. I figured this made sense even though back then , 20yrs, I didn't have the technical info as now.  Redbook. :rock:

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
« Reply #61 on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:27 pm »
Well, I've spent a week going back and forth between the Canare 4S11 cables and the new SC4. Both are in bi-wire configuration Both use WBT-style bananas on all ends, although the ones that come with the Bryston cables strike me as better quality. No way to compare the materials used, though, since I simply don't know.

In favour of the 4S11: higher SPL at the same volume setting on the preamp. This doesn't make the least bit of sense to me, especially since the SC4 is a 4 x 12 AWG cable compared to the 4S11's 4 x 14 AWG and the SWC4 is a 10 foot pair while the 4S11 is 12 feet. But I keep noticing it. Perhaps the SC4 adds less to the sound, that is, alters the signal from the power amp less in which case there's actually less "information" being transmitted by the SC4 with the result that a higher volume setting is required to achieve the same total SPL. If not that, I'll just have to remain mystified.

In favour of the SC4: Pretty much everything else! Deeper more clearly articulated bass; less bright, but at the same time more detailed HF (e.g., percussive metal sounds like cymbals, tympanis, gongs, cowbells); less sibilance on vocals, especially female vocals (love that Azam Ali!); more vivid transients; better separation of different instruments, i.e., quieter, more "delicate" sounds less "swamped" by louder sounds.

Now I can move on (or back in time) and compare the SC4 to the Bryston-Vandamme cable. One problem there is that the Vandamme is single wire and the SC4 is biwired—and I'm not about to reconfigure the SC4.

[Associated equipment: Technics SP-10MKII on davinci_redux birch plywood plinth (thanks again, Leon!) with Jelco SA-750E tonearm and Reson Reca cartridge; Perreaux TU3 tuner; Bryston BCD-1 CD player and Tascam CD-01U/Lavry Black DA10 DAC; Bryston BP-26MC; Ayre P-5xe phono stage; MC2 Audio MC750 amplifier; Tannoy System 15 DMT II speakers; Torus RM15; Mogami 3107 for all interconnects, digital and analogue, balanced and single-ended; DIY power cables (Carol 12 AWG for sources/preamp; Carol 10 AWG for power amp and Torus); isolated ground AC receptacle (requires 4-conductor wire) on dedicated 20 amp feed.]

Levi

« Reply #62 on: 30 Nov 2010, 06:15 pm »
dubkarma:
Perhaps the speaker cables' laid back character is what you are hearing?!?  Which appears to perceived as less volume.  Hmmm...just a thought.

Finally, the Eagle has landed.  Well more like Fedex man with a small white box that says Bryston.   :thumb:

My first impression of the new Bryston speaker cable is a positive one.  It is my pleasure to report that no fire, smoke, or blown woofers yet. 

Kidding aside, I truly like the new Bryston speaker cables sonic qualities.  It has a slightly laid back character and wide dynamic range that was never bright.  Likewise, the cables' highly revealing non-fatiquing nature wants me to crank up the volume to hear more, to grab the music and feel it.  Listening to "The Four Season's & Water Music" '97 Philips CD1 and CD2s' violins were in perfect pitch and definition.  The beautiful warm sound of wood instruments, the speed of the 2 madolins, strings, harp and Basso Continuo brought the past back into my living room.  Finally, Speaking of BRAT.  Bass, Rhythm and Timing, "The White Stripes Elephant" track 1, track 5 warm synthesizer, Track6 etc, were very natural sounding and fast.  True to the recording.  I just let it rock. 

Very nice, the new speaker cables really complemented the Bryston amps and PMC speakers for a price that will not break the bank.  Good job Bryston. 

As for the connectors, I soldered my preferred WBT 0645 connector on the positive and Bryston banana on the negative (speaker end), Bryston spades on the amp side.  Please don't ask me why, it is a personal preference.   :D

If anyone interested, I am selling my Kimber 8TC and my old Vandamme speaker cables.

Levi

Re: Bryston's new SC4 speaker cable
« Reply #63 on: 30 Nov 2010, 09:42 pm »
I don't believe in cables break-in because it is so hard to quantify the difference.  There are so many variables in play. 

Cable break-in or not, the more I listen the more I like it.  That is all the matters.   :wine:

jneutron

« Reply #64 on: 1 Dec 2010, 06:31 pm »
Hi John,

Not to open a can of worms, perhaps in a few short words, what do you think makes a good speaker cable?
1.  Quality.  No need to expound on that.
2.  Resistance.  The user has control over this by decision.

This affects damping factor and response flatness.  In general, bigger is better, but at some point increasing the size of the wire will have no effect that can be discerned.

3.  L/C.  the user may not have control over this.

Choosing L/C can be done, and will most certainly affect the system response in various ways including the settling time as I posted.  That said, there is NO information out there one can use to make the decision as to what L and C is best for one's system, nor is it necessary that the changes rise to the level of audibility.

There is no magic out there, so don't be swayed by such sillyness.

I use #12 awg for runs up to 125 feet for the sound system I abuse.  For generic at home, I use #12 or #14 zip for mains.  For the 5.1 set, I use what was given free, #24 or #22 thin garbage...WAF here.  But the speakers are 3 inch cubes, not exactly high end.  The point is, if simple suffices, use it.

For all others with a good system, I'd recommend #12 or so Zip to start..  If you want to play, try that first, then double them up CAREFULLY to halve the resistance, inductance, and characteristic impedance.  More than likely, the lowered resistance won't make a difference..  But, there is a small possibility that the lowered inductance does something.  If so, triple it up, etc..  At some point, no difference can happen.

Once you are happy, then you'll know what kind of cable your system needs. There is always the possibility that you perceive changes that do not exist, and miss ones that do...humans...sheesh..

The best methodology is to alter only ONE speaker in this fashion.  If the soundstage image shifts laterally, then you have made a difference. Note:  be especially critical of lateral shifting between images, as well as lateral shifts of sibilance with respect to the fundamental notes of female vocals.

When you are done, replace the cheap zip with something that is well built from a reputable manu.  Stuff from HD or RS is good enough for playing around, but the long term concerns make me cringe.  There are many stories out there about green wire, and the insulation plastic of really cheap wires tend to attack the copper strands..or get brittle and crack.

Cheers, John

Levi

« Reply #65 on: 2 Dec 2010, 04:29 am »
Thanks John.  I think I found my speaker cables.  :)

Levi

« Reply #66 on: 6 Dec 2010, 05:26 pm »
I just placed another order for my center channel.   :banana piano:

Vipers

« Reply #67 on: 12 Dec 2010, 02:50 pm »
James,

Have you got an e-mail address that I can contact to get a price on a couple of 4m lenghts of your new speaker cable with Bannana plugs at each end + some other goodies (mugs etc) with shipping to the UK?

Thanks,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #68 on: 12 Dec 2010, 02:54 pm »
Hi Vipers

Email Melissa at Bryston - mmiles@bryston.com. PMC have asked about the cable as well so they may have a few rolls on the way.

James

Levi

« Reply #69 on: 12 Dec 2010, 03:31 pm »
Hi Vipers,

You will like the sound of the Bryston new speaker cables with your PMC/Bryston gears!  Then you can recommend it to your mates at AVSForums. ;)

Cheers to you!

Vipers

« Reply #70 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:17 pm »
Hi Vipers

Email Melissa at Bryston - mmiles@bryston.com. PMC have asked about the cable as well so they may have a few rolls on the way.

James

Thanks James, I'll fire an e-mail over shortly.

If it's OK, I'd rather get the cable direct from you guys as I'm an impatient so and so and am going to want it asap  :)

Has anyone made this cable into speaker jumpers? As I use Atlas speaker cable at the moment and they made me up some jumpers from the cable I use to replace my metal jumpers and it definately seemed to improve the performance of my EB1i's? Is this cable very thick? could it easily be made into jumpers of say 20cm long and be flexible enough to use as jumpers?

Vipers

« Reply #71 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:21 pm »
Hi Vipers,

You will like the sound of the Bryston new speaker cables with your PMC/Bryston gears!  Then you can recommend it to your mates at AVSForums. ;)

Cheers to you!

Hi Levi,

I raise my PMC mug to you also, cheers  :D

I take it you've seen our little Bryston Owners Thread on AVForums, we're definately waving the Bryston flag alot over here in the UK  :thumb:

Vipers

« Reply #72 on: 12 Dec 2010, 09:31 pm »
Ah Levi, Sorry mate, I've just realised that our paths have just crossed on AVForums, it's been a busy weekend  :oops:

Levi

« Reply #73 on: 12 Dec 2010, 09:56 pm »
No apologies recquired. I enjoyed your audio journey.  Glad you discovered Bryston as your main amplification.  I too love good clean articulating bass!  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #74 on: 14 Dec 2010, 05:27 pm »
My center channel cable arrived.  Thanks Melissa!

Custom bare wire ready for soldering.

Thinned using WBT silver solder.

Amp side finished ready to enjoy  :thumb:

Speaker side.  Note: old Van Damme cables. :)

« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2010, 08:01 pm by Levi »

1ZIP

« Reply #75 on: 14 Dec 2010, 05:36 pm »
On the spades....is that a photo artifact or they as pitted as they look?

Levi

« Reply #76 on: 14 Dec 2010, 05:47 pm »
I didn't even pay attention to the quality of the spades.  It is only visible with the camera with macro lens + flash.  Make sure you get one just like mine because it sounds soo good.

On the spades....is that a photo artifact or they as pitted as they look?

Vipers

« Reply #77 on: 14 Dec 2010, 07:45 pm »
You're making me very jealous Levi :) I'm gagging to get my MB2i's and 7B's singing with this cable, still waiting to hear back from Melissa on a price then I'll be placing my order  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #78 on: 14 Dec 2010, 07:59 pm »
Hi Vipers, may I suggest you go directly to Bryston's website and order your custom cables.  http://bryston.com/speaker.html

Then call Melissa instead of waiting for her.  ;)

I find it more efficient that way.  That is how I roll.   :lol:

bjski

« Reply #79 on: 14 Dec 2010, 08:16 pm »
I am new to this site but I bought my first 4b in 1985 which is still running in my home theater set up.

I just received 2 pairs of cable at 3 meters.I only placed one set in operation and that was with 2 4bst's running bridged for the bass. What was immediately apparent was tighter bass.I have yet to place the other set on my 4bsst2 which is driving the highs.

I do beleive James Tanner has talked my into some 7's/2.