Vapor Audio Nimbus Black Carbonne Edition

dex67

Vapor Audio Nimbus Black Carbonne Edition
« on: 20 Aug 2014, 02:41 pm »
Hello all,

I'm new here so please be gentle.  :D

I just wanted to post few pics of my Nimbus Black speakers that have carbon fiber coating applied on the back and on the top. This automotive wrap, not only covers some cosmetic mishaps that happened during shipping, but it also matches the base of the speakers.

Enjoy,
Adrian

P.S. I've replaced the Music Culture MC701 int amp with a Jolida Fusion tube preamp and Emerald Physics 100.2 monoblocks.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Vapor Audio Nimbus Black Carbonne Edition
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2014, 08:34 pm »
Thanks for posting Adrian, nice looking setup!  And great to have you here.

It was such a shame what happened in shipping, but your 'fix' looks fantastic!   

mca

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2014, 08:46 pm »
WOW  :drool:

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2014, 09:44 pm »
That is how you go custom  :thumb:

persisting1

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2014, 10:29 pm »
Those are nice  :thumb:

Bear

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2014, 10:54 pm »
Simply Awesome!  Do they produce a center channel voiced to match?

Wig

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2014, 11:46 pm »
That's a clever and very classy idea, they look stunning!

Wig :thumb:

bajaed

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2014, 11:46 pm »
Wow!

That's just flat out cool looking. Congrats!

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2014, 11:58 pm »
Where did you pick up the automotive rap.
 Those look beauuuuuutiful :thumb:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:00 am »
Nice! Would like to know more about the "wrap" you used. Looks very custom!

bnut311

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:01 am »
Do they sound better than the Fremonts?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:42 am »
I don't know exactly which product was used, but 3M makes one that looks just like that called DI-NOC.  It's very easy to install and work with, and priced reasonably. 

Bear - yes, we do have a center channel we can build to match.

dex67

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2014, 04:20 pm »
Thanx all for your nice words! the wrap used was from a French company called Hexis. I had my care wrapped as well. Maybe I'll post some pics.

Ryan, did you get my email? Any news from Pilot? Please reply via email.

Do they sound better than the Fremont? Hmmm, someone knows that I've replaced my Escalante Design Fremonts with them. Not sure, that they do...I still think the bass was much tighter than the Fremonts, but the midrange and imaging is better with the Nimbus.

Adrian

dex67

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2014, 04:28 pm »
car, not 'care'...sheesh...:)...the car is white (MB CLA 250), but 4 different type of wraps were used: matte brilliant black, silver, red, and again carbon fiber.

verdun47

« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2014, 09:28 pm »
Hey Adrian  great pics, appreciated: terrific resurrection of a (seemingly) damaged cabinet.

"think the bass was much tighter than the Fremonts, but the midrange and imaging is better with the Nimbus."

Sorry, I'm a touch confused (pre am coffee!). Do you mean the Fremonts had much tighter bass, but Nimbus better midrange/imaging?

Thanks

audio.bill

« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2014, 10:58 pm »
Hey Adrian  great pics, appreciated: terrific resurrection of a (seemingly) damaged cabinet.

"think the bass was much tighter than the Fremonts, but the midrange and imaging is better with the Nimbus."

Sorry, I'm a touch confused (pre am coffee!). Do you mean the Fremonts had much tighter bass, but Nimbus better midrange/imaging?
I was also confused but I think your interpretation is what Adrian meant, and I'm sure he'll clarify that here. If that is the case, I would point out that the Fremonts use a rather unconventional isobarik bass loading technique that may be responsible for the better bass quality that it provides.

*Scotty*

« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2014, 12:01 am »
The Escalante Design Fremont has half the cone area of the Vapor Audio Nimbus. The Fremont has a 12inch woofer vs the Nimbus 15in..
A look at the measured response of the Fremont from the Stereophile review shows response to 50Hz. and then a 24db/oct. rolloff.

Fig.3 Escalante Fremont, anechoic response without grille on tweeter axis, averaged across 30° horizontal window and corrected for microphone response, with nearfield responses of the woofers (blue) and ports (red), plotted in the ratios of the square roots of their radiating areas, and the complex sum of the nearfield responses plotted below 300Hz (black).

The in room response also shows the early bass rolloff.

Fig.7 Escalante Fremont, spatially averaged, 1/6-octave response in LG's listening room.

With half the cone area devoted to bass and an early bass cutoff point means that the Fremont doesn't excite the listening rooms resonant modes as strongly as the Nimbus. Below 150Hz Hz you are listening to rooms bass resonance modes as well as the speaker itself. The bass from the Nimbus could be very well defined and the room could cover this fact up with it's contribution to what is heard.
Scotty

Nick B

« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2014, 06:24 am »
They look stunning...what a great fix!

dex67

« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2014, 12:22 pm »
yeap, that's what I meant...the bass was tighter with the Fremonts, while the imaging and the mids are better with the Nimbus...sorry about the message above...I wrote it during a conference call...:)

I think the Fremonts have 2 12" woofers....

dex67

« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2014, 12:24 pm »
Scotty,

I can tell you that on one of my 'test' CD's, I could feel the punch in the gut when the Fremonts were playing...I don't have the same feeling with the Nimbus, even though my gut has been getting bigger...LOL

Adrian