Cheap and cheerful Bluetooth streaming audio device

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Cheap and cheerful Bluetooth streaming audio device
« on: 18 Aug 2014, 08:11 pm »
A pretty nice and cheap project for anyone looking for a nice solution to use with your Bluetooth enabled devices.

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-build-your-own-bluetooth-streaming-home-audio-system

Odal3

Re: Cheap and cheerful Bluetooth streaming audio device
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2014, 01:18 am »
Thanks for sharing - Good timing for this since I was just about to start researching bluetooth adapters for a system I will set-up in the kitchen with a hidden amp. BT will be perfect since it will be driven by a smartphone and there is so much noise in there anyway so BT should be fine.

The article reference adapters made by Logitech and Monoprice, but what are the alternatives? Any good (and cheap) bluetooth boards that I can integrate into my own enclosure? I looked at the ones at parts express but they seem to use an older standard (?)

rob-fi

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2014, 07:38 pm »
If you are more into the geeky stuff, take a look at the raspberry Pi. There's a lot of info on how to make a streaming device with bluetooth, and you can use your own enclosure.

gychang

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2014, 09:26 am »
Thanks for sharing - Good timing for this since I was just about to start researching bluetooth adapters for a system I will set-up in the kitchen with a hidden amp. BT will be perfect since it will be driven by a smartphone and there is so much noise in there anyway so BT should be fine.

The article reference adapters made by Logitech and Monoprice, but what are the alternatives? Any good (and cheap) bluetooth boards that I can integrate into my own enclosure? I looked at the ones at parts express but they seem to use an older standard (?)

I am also curious about this... what other options?, original article states $29 for logitech device but it is $39 now on amazon.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2014, 04:45 pm »
I think Outlaw Audio, Marantz, Yamaha and a few others make them too.

motosapien

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2014, 02:33 am »
I just picked up a rocket fish bt receiver.  It has the APT-X codec and I'm using my samsung note 8 to send to it.  I run it through a grant fidelity tube processor that I was using with my cd player.  The sound is excellent.  Gaining a huge amou t of convenience and not giving up much sound quality.  This digital music revolution is great.

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2014, 03:14 am »
I have been every where from $39 Logitech units to all sort of powered speakers with AptX chips.  I can say that it is in this case of BT adapters that you truly get what you pay for.  I spend a good amount of $$$$ to obtain steady connection via an Arcam unit, as well as a Definitive Technology Cube speaker.  Worth every single penny spent on those two.  Others, have really spotty connections.

motosapien

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2014, 04:26 pm »
I hear you Bemo - from even 10' I sometimes have connection glitches.  Must be some kind of interference.   But I got the bt receiver for ease of access more than critical listening.

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2015, 05:42 pm »
Resurrecting a thread here. What are folks liking for a Bluetooth receiver with a digital output?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2015, 06:13 pm »
I use a unit from Motorola-(Moto Stream) that receives BT and converts it to stereo for a pre-amp etc... its powered by AC so its easy and really clean sounding. Thats so anything I want to play from a tablet, phone etc can come through my main system which sounds way better then a little BT speaker.

http://www.motorola.com/us/accessories/music/streaming-devices/moto-stream/moto-stream.html

ebag4

« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2015, 06:21 pm »
I just picked up this unit from Amazon based on a post by Frank VanAlstine:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5N9ONM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked this up so my son can play from his Macbook Pro or iPhone 6 when he comes home from school.  It seems to work well overall (only used it a few times) however his Macbook had dropouts to the point where it was unusable.  From his iPhone, my iPad and my Android phone the playback was solid, so I have to assume it is an issue with the Macbook (possibly due to the all aluminum housing?) or possibly just his Macbook in particular .  The transmitting device worked best in room, I don't know how well it would play from the ~33 ft max, we were within 10 ft. most of the time.

The sound is OK streaming Spotify into my Auralic Vega via Toslink, of course it doesn't hold a candle as compared to the Mac Mini (Audirvana) via USB.

Good Luck!
Ed

Odal3

« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2015, 11:54 am »
I looked into getting a Bluetooth receiver but abandoned the idea in favor of an Internet connected streamer that I can control from either phone, tablet or laptop. I have been using google chromecast or recently I got a $35 raspberry pi with MPD. MPD is a music database that can be controlled by a lot of different applications. I may be wrong on this, but I believe some commercial offerings such as the Salk streamer uses MPD as the foundation as well.  The biggest advantage is that I can use USB DACs and get excellent quality. I am playing around with different free and easy to use software solutions but so far Volumino seems to work good.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2015, 07:17 pm »
What about using Airport Express?  Is this "apples and oranges" compared to the Logitech Bluetooth Adapter?  Never used either but would like to give it a try.  I realize the AE costs more at $89.00 on Amazon.  Would like to use a USB dac, too.   :scratch:

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2015, 09:47 pm »
In the interest of simplicity and since a coax digital is preferable, I think I am going to go with the Yamaha YBA-11. Simple and digital only. So all the resources are going just to the Bluetooth to coax digital interface.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YBA-11-Bluetooth-Wireless-Receiver/dp/B00B9B4IYI

And available via Prime, so easy to return if it doesn't suit me.