Amps

foz1982

• When I listen to PF the neigbors listen to PF
Amps
« on: 15 Sep 2014, 02:41 pm »
Hi, 1st post. Is it a new math thing or what? My amp is rated @220watts, so how can it be rated @750 watts in mono into the same speaker? I can see 440 watts or even less for losses in the bridging circuit.
Also do 2 amps in mono sound BETTER than 1 in stereo, or is it just a volume thing? I read about people
using this setup into speakers that are rated @ way less than the amps watts, how is this possible without
smoking the speakers? Please help I've fallen and cant reach the volume control. :scratch:

fmw

Re: Amps
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2014, 08:40 pm »
There could certainly be some fuzzy math but I suspect the 750 watt number involves not only bridging but lower speaker impedance as well.  Check out the specifications.  You should know that bridging causes the amplifier to see half the nominal impedance of the speakers so the current requirement is quite a bit higher.  In other words bridging is not usually recommended for home use.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2014, 08:47 pm »
Whatever the speakers need, they take.  If they only need 200 watts out of 500 then you have 300 watts sitting around for dynamics when needed, so to speak.

You don't always pump the full wattage the wallplate is capable of into your toaster or hair dryer.  Same thing with your speakers.

Monoblocks are preferred by many, including me. 

srb

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2014, 10:33 pm »
Hi, 1st post. Is it a new math thing or what? My amp is rated @220watts, so how can it be rated @750 watts in mono into the same speaker? I can see 440 watts or even less for losses in the bridging circuit.

Running an amplifier in bridged mode doubles the voltage swing to the loudspeaker load, so theoretically the power should be 4 times the individual channel's power rating, if the amplifier could deliver the required current.

In practice, the amplifier's current rating usually limits the power output to somewhere between two to four times the power.  Your amplifier is rated quite high at 3.4X.

Steve

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2014, 11:29 pm »
Amplifiers in bridge mode typically become more stable at lower speaker ohm ratings, hence 220w x 3 = 440w at 4ohm, at 2ohm it may be 880w. However efficiency issues will lower it, you don't get 1:2 differences with most gear.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2014, 01:25 am »
There could certainly be some fuzzy math but I suspect the 750 watt number involves not only bridging but lower speaker impedance as well.  Check out the specifications.  You should know that bridging causes the amplifier to see half the nominal impedance of the speakers so the current requirement is quite a bit higher.  In other words bridging is not usually recommended for home use.

+1 it depends on the amp's design too. Typically (from what I've seen) a stereo amp in bridged mode can put out more watts bridged, but NOT more current. The reason for this is because, while all output devices in the amp are now concentrating all their power into one channel versus two, the amp is no longer using it's whole power supply. It is now using only half. :o I'd only buy monoblocks that are designed from the start as monoblocks, because most speakers need current, not just watts. It's almost like the difference between horse power and torque in the automobile world.