BDP-3

Timslim18

BDP-3
« on: 22 Feb 2017, 11:45 pm »
This afternoon I read a Flipboard article from Sound & Vision that Bryston announced the BDP-3 today yet I have not seen anything on this or on the Bryston site.

What's the Canadian MSRP?

zoom25

Re: BDP-3
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2017, 12:33 am »
I'm looking forward to the BDP-1 vs BDP-2 vs BDP-3 SQ comparison.

Also, with the increase in memory, I want to know how much each player actually stores the music. I think in the BDP-1 it stores music a few seconds in advance.

Although, it'd be nice to have say an entire album stored in memory before playback begins and the drive can be spun down. I don't know if this already happens on BDP-2 or BDP-3?

Also, will the faceplate on the BDP-3 be brushed or bead blasted?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2017, 12:40 am »
I'm looking forward to the BDP-1 vs BDP-2 vs BDP-3 SQ comparison.

Also, with the increase in memory, I want to know how much each player actually stores the music. I think in the BDP-1 it stores music a few seconds in advance.

Although, it'd be nice to have say an entire album stored in memory before playback begins and the drive can be spun down. I don't know if this already happens on BDP-2 or BDP-3?

Also, will the faceplate on the BDP-3 be brushed or bead blasted?

Hi

It will be bead blast.

james

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2017, 01:06 am »
James - will it do DoP (64) via AES/EBU (others do it like the Lumin U1 for example)?  Also does it allow one to downconvert (e.g. have DSD 64 or 128 to 176.4 PCM - Lumin does -http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-u1.html)? Thanks

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2017, 01:30 am »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2017, 01:37 am »
James - will it do DoP (64) via AES/EBU (others do it like the Lumin U1 for example)?  Also does it allow one to downconvert (e.g. have DSD 64 or 128 to 176.4 PCM - Lumin does -http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-u1.html)? Thanks

As far as I know DSD is only available through USB.

Chris would have to answer on the down-convert - why would you want that to happen?

james

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:03 am »
As far as I know DSD is only available through USB.

Chris would have to answer on the down-convert - why would you want that to happen?

james

James,
Would like to get off the USB connection and use AES/EBU (of course vs. my plain old Windows 10 music server vs a BDP-3 I could change my mind - have had many discussions, mostly via email with Karl S as I've been looking at an upgrade for over a year but have not pulled the trigger).  My DAC would take 176.4 and upsample it to double DSD anyway.  There's other things beside the Lumin that do DSD (64) on other than USB.  The Lumin does it on all the digital inputs:

"Optical, Coaxial RCA, Coaxial BNC & AES/EBU:
DSD (DoP, DSD over PCM) 2.8MHz, 1bit
PCM 44.1kHz–192kHz, 16–24bit"

I was just getting more serious about getting a better player over the last week or so.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:19 am »
Looks exciting.

James,

1. There have been studies by Benchmark that show that music mastered at 192/24 or higher may actually add distortion (e.g. more aliasing). How would 384kHz/32b improve SQ in players like BDP-3?

2. How would processor speed affect SQ (if at all)?

dznutz

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:28 am »
CDN MSRP???

qkot

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:56 am »
Will the BDP-3 be able to act as the Roon Core?

Hoiman

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2017, 06:18 am »
When can we buy it?

Krutsch

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2017, 06:46 am »
Very cool!

Grant Hill

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2017, 08:24 am »
Congrats! I look forward to watch it and see its specifications!

Grant Hill

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2017, 08:28 am »

Good question... DSD via AES/EBU sounds interesting...

Marius

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2017, 08:52 am »
HI James,

Cool. we've been asking for chances to a BDP-3 and you've always denied it would be anywhere close, just not planned, because not necessary. And yet here it is!
Would you care to shed some light on  “We had an opportunity to leverage some exciting new technologies in order to improve our flagship music player,”?

What are those technologies, and in what way do they leverage the specs of the BDP-2? Chris always emphasized usb3 and GB wifi weren't necessary at all given current file formats and (high) resolutions, so i wonder what could be the main driver for an update. Library size would be one aspect i could think of.. DSD isn't up specced ?

press releases state no real new possibilities over the BDP-2? other than the Streamlength protocol, which is just asynchronous usb? really in limbo just yet, still excited ;-) Which is what this hobby is all about isn't it?

Cheers,

Marius

Grant Hill

« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2017, 08:58 am »
Will the BDP-3 be able to act as the Roon Core?

The Bryston BDP-3 is also a Roon Ready device. Roon Labs has created a software solution that delivers the ultimate user experience by merging Bryston’s exceptional digital playback hardware with an intuitive, graphically rich music library management and playback software. Users get the superb sound of the BDP-3 along with a highly refined user interface. - from The absolute sound

Grant Hill

« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2017, 09:00 am »
CDN MSRP???

The Bryston BDP-3 is available for pre-order now with an expected delivery in 6-8 weeks. MSRP for the BDP-3 is $3495 US - again from Tas

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #18 on: 23 Feb 2017, 09:20 am »
HI James,

Cool. we've been asking for chances to a BDP-3 and you've always denied it would be anywhere close, just not planned, because not necessary. And yet here it is!
Would you care to shed some light on  “We had an opportunity to leverage some exciting new technologies in order to improve our flagship music player,”?

What are those technologies, and in what way do they leverage the specs of the BDP-2? Chris always emphasized usb3 and GB wifi weren't necessary at all given current file formats and (high) resolutions, so i wonder what could be the main driver for an update. Library size would be one aspect i could think of.. DSD isn't up specced ?

press releases state no real new possibilities over the BDP-2? other than the Streamlength protocol, which is just asynchronous usb? really in limbo just yet, still excited ;-) Which is what this hobby is all about isn't it?

Cheers,

Marius

Hey Marius -

There's a lot of fake news and alternative facts going around lately.   :lol: :green:

Keep calm and listen on.

cheers

Marius

« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2017, 09:28 am »

Hey Marius -

There's a lot of fake news and alternative facts going around lately.   :lol: :green:

Keep calm and listen on.

cheers

check. will do. thx....