Eastern Electric DAC

bravophase

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #80 on: 21 Nov 2009, 05:35 pm »
there are still a few questions in this thread that have not yet been answered .
i am really interested to preorder but do not feel comfortable to do so without knowing what i would  buy.

Same here.

Bill & Alex,

We have not heard from either of you since November 10.  Could you please answer these remaining questions for us?

1.  What is the pre-order deadline date?

2.  How are the inputs selected and indicated?

3.  Is the power supply internal, external tabletop or external wall wart?

4.  Are the dimensions of '280mm X 186mm' Width X Depth or vice-versa?

5.  Are any photos available?

Re-reading through the posts, I think that covers the remaining unanswered questions.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi all, I am sorry that I have been running around and did not write sooner. Let me try...
1. The pre-order deadline is Dec 15th
2. The input is selected automatically as soon as one of the inputs senses a signal except the USB which you need to select by tapping a switch.
3. The PS is internal
4. The dimension is 280(W)mm x 180(D)mm x 28(H)mm
5. The hard chassis and accessories are not yet here. Here I attached the drawings for your interest, the finish DAC will look more or less the same.

Thanks for all your supports to me and Bill.

Cheers !

Alex

srb

« Reply #81 on: 21 Nov 2009, 05:51 pm »
Thanks for the reply Alex!

However one of your drawings has spawned one further question.  Previously I asked if a BNC coaxial input would be provided, and the answer was no, only RCA coaxial.

But on the rear panel drawing I see what looks like a BNC jack in between the RCA and XLR jacks.

Steve

bravophase

« Reply #82 on: 21 Nov 2009, 05:57 pm »
Thanks for the reply Alex!

However one of your drawings has spawned one further question.  Previously I asked if a BNC coaxial input would be provided, and the answer was no, only RCA coaxial.

But on the rear panel drawing I see what looks like a BNC jack in between the RCA and XLR jacks.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have finally decided to include the BNC input, sorry for the confusion before.

Cheers !

Alex

mumford

« Reply #83 on: 21 Nov 2009, 10:20 pm »
>>>2. The input is selected automatically as soon as one of the inputs senses a signal except the USB which you need to select by tapping a switch.

What is the priority list?  And if I have a computer connected via RCA and a PS3 connected via optical and if both devices are powered on, I have to power down one device in order to switch decoding?

Would "tapping a switch" allow me to switch between RCA and optical input without powering down devices?

bravophase

« Reply #84 on: 23 Nov 2009, 03:52 pm »
>>>2. The input is selected automatically as soon as one of the inputs senses a signal except the USB which you need to select by tapping a switch.

What is the priority list?  And if I have a computer connected via RCA and a PS3 connected via optical and if both devices are powered on, I have to power down one device in order to switch decoding?

Would "tapping a switch" allow me to switch between RCA and optical input without powering down devices?

Hello there, my original design is that there is only one input connected at a time and the DAC detects automatically. However, it seems that some of you would like to connect two or more inputs the same time. I am now checking out the selector. I will post as soon as I confirm how I would do it. Thanks for your great inputs which always make our products not only sounding great but user friendly.

Cheer !

Alex

roscoeiii

« Reply #85 on: 23 Nov 2009, 05:20 pm »
Would that be a selector in addition to the automatic selection of inputs? For me the automatic selection of an input is a big selling point, as I can't imagine an instance in which two active signals are entering my DAC.

Jon L

« Reply #86 on: 23 Nov 2009, 05:22 pm »
Would that be a selector in addition to the automatic selection of inputs? For me the automatic selection of an input is a big selling point, as I can't imagine an instance in which two active signals are entering my DAC.

Actually, digital sounds much better if kept turned-on 24/7 IME.  That means all my digital sources will be powered on 24/7, including CD transport, DVD transport, PC Audio transport, etc.  Ability to switch to one of my choice with a switch would be almost a necessity...

roscoeiii

« Reply #87 on: 23 Nov 2009, 05:49 pm »
Equipment kept on I can see, but my understanding is that there is only a signal when play is pressed. Am I incorrect in that assumption?

The automatic signal selection feature had me convinced to put down my down payment. Please keep us informed on when it is confirmed whether or not this will be a feature.

srb

« Reply #88 on: 23 Nov 2009, 06:13 pm »
Actually, digital sounds much better if kept turned-on 24/7 IME.  That means all my digital sources will be powered on 24/7, including CD transport, DVD transport, PC Audio transport, etc.  Ability to switch to one of my choice with a switch would be almost a necessity...

Whether I leave my digital sources powered on 24/7 or not, at least during the system session on-time several sources will be active.  Of the three DACs I have previously owned, all have had manual input selection which is fairly common.

Equipment kept on I can see, but my understanding is that there is only a signal when play is pressed. Am I incorrect in that assumption?

It depends on the component and how it's being used.  One scenario would be my computer/music server.  Even if I have stopped iTunes playback and had switched to a different input, if a system event on the PC triggers a system sound, it would output a signal.

I can see where it could be possible to come up with a circuit design change where the present USB selector button could cycle through the inputs, but without an indicator LED for each input to show which is selected, it would be extremely user unfriendly.

If either the circuit board or the enclosure have been submitted for production, it seems unlikely that this change could be implemented in a satisfactory way.

I am one of the fence sitters who would like to acquire a new DAC with the ESS Sabre32 9018 chip, but if the usability for me is compromised, I may wait to see how some of the other soon-to-be-released ESS Sabre32 DACs have implemented their feature set.

Steve

Gopher

« Reply #89 on: 23 Nov 2009, 08:49 pm »

Hello there, my original design is that there is only one input connected at a time and the DAC detects automatically. However, it seems that some of you would like to connect two or more inputs the same time. I am now checking out the selector. I will post as soon as I confirm how I would do it. Thanks for your great inputs which always make our products not only sounding great but user friendly.

Cheer !

Alex

Glad to hear you are investigating this.  Many seem to like the auto detection option but I would MUCH rather have some sort of toggle switch.  My FIOS box will be a source (probably via toslink) in order that some of the great music available might actually be listenable, and that thing is on 24/7 so it would be very annoying to me if two devices fought for position.

I'm toying with selling off my CD player and using a playstation 3 as a CD transport...  Does anyone who has experience with the Sabre32s think this would be a poor decision?  Perhaps I'm expecting too much out of its jitter reducing abilities.

Carlman

« Reply #90 on: 23 Nov 2009, 11:25 pm »
If you only have 1 source, auto-detection isn't a consideration for purchase.
If you have 2+ sources, auto-detection is nice if you always play one or the other and ensure the digital signal is not active.
If you have 2+ sources, manual selection allows you to choose which source to play.  If the source indicator aligned with the input type, it would be very easy to use.  Pushing a button that lights up 'USB, Coax, BNC, TOSlink' would be easy enough for everyone I've ever known, including children.

-C

bravophase

« Reply #91 on: 1 Dec 2009, 09:26 am »
Hello there, I have spent some time on studying the selection of the input digital sources. I will add an input selector. You can connect more than one active digital devices and they can be turned on 24/7  aa

Cheers !

Alex

Gopher

« Reply #92 on: 1 Dec 2009, 02:09 pm »
Terrific news, Alex.  I'm very excited about this project.  Will the completion date be pushed back by this change?

It is December 1 and January can't get here soon enough! 

bravophase

« Reply #93 on: 1 Dec 2009, 02:27 pm »
Terrific news, Alex.  I'm very excited about this project.  Will the completion date be pushed back by this change?

It is December 1 and January can't get here soon enough!
I used a bit more than a week to fix that. I am pushing the production and hope to get it ready sometime in January.

Cheers !

Alex

tvyankee

« Reply #94 on: 1 Dec 2009, 04:08 pm »
if that xlr on the back is a aes input make sure you change it to a female.

Jon L

« Reply #95 on: 1 Dec 2009, 11:42 pm »

While at it, make sure to use a 75-Ohm BNC jack instead of the 50-Ohm BNC jack seen in the rendering..

bravophase

« Reply #96 on: 2 Dec 2009, 01:37 am »
The AES/EBU input jack will be a female one.

Thanks.

Alex

bravophase

« Reply #97 on: 2 Dec 2009, 01:38 am »

While at it, make sure to use a 75-Ohm BNC jack instead of the 50-Ohm BNC jack seen in the rendering..
The BNC input jack is a 75 ohm one.

Cheers !

Alex

Gopher

« Reply #98 on: 2 Dec 2009, 04:14 pm »
Forgive a dumb question, but will there be a "best" way to connect this to a transport source?

I've been tormenting over how to attach my devices and while I was originally determined to ditch my Squeezebox and go coaxial out of my computer to use itunes (genius), I'm now thinking of keeping my SB and linking that by coax, my ps3 (cd transport) by toslink and using USB to my computer...

Is there a downside to linking components in this manner?  or even a preferable way of doing things?

richidoo

« Reply #99 on: 2 Dec 2009, 05:12 pm »
With a DAC that does not attenutate jitter as well as Sabre32 the connection method can have an effect, sometimes a big one. Sabre32 DAC pretty much eliminates that issue by eliminating jitter inside the chip. All transports on any input will sound the same if the data integrity is good.