• "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Audiophile Estate Sale
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2015, 06:40 pm »
I was waiting for him to be able to receive PM's.  :lol:

....Just kidding Paul, there are no dues.   :wink:

daves

« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2015, 07:07 pm »
Paul, I'll contact you after work. Please pm me with your phone number.
Thanks dave

Shermie

« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2015, 07:39 pm »
Interested in the Rek-o-kut.... shermanr@prw.net

I am located in Central VA, can drive to pick-up.

daves

« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2015, 07:42 pm »
Shermie, you are welcome to drive, but realize we are in St. Louis missouri, not maryland.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2015, 12:54 am by daves »

simoon

« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2015, 08:21 pm »
I am interested in the Mingda line stage.

Sent PM with details.

Thanks

daves

« Reply #25 on: 27 Feb 2015, 12:58 pm »
Simoon, I have not seen your pm.  Dave

simoon

« Reply #26 on: 27 Feb 2015, 08:00 pm »
Responded to your email.

daves

« Reply #27 on: 27 Feb 2015, 08:47 pm »
And back to yours, Dave.  :D

daves

« Reply #28 on: 28 Feb 2015, 12:07 am »
We added a few more items.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #29 on: 28 Feb 2015, 12:16 am »
Dave,
Any description of the condition, model number, etc. of the Stromberg Carlson EL84? 

daves

« Reply #30 on: 28 Feb 2015, 12:37 am »
Howard, it is in photo #8 and #11. No model number at all, but it is some ASR variant.It had to be be a console pull, and a late model because they switched over to the 6AV6s and 6U8s from the 7199s. The facade is all aluminum and pot metal, and is not too strong, so there are a couple minor ripples. It will need a solid wood case to hide in, and tubes to populate it. It would be a good starter integrated for your son, or a fun little number to play with. The AV6s and U8s are fairly cheap, like cheaper than a single 7199.
Dave

Baumli

« Reply #31 on: 28 Feb 2015, 01:31 am »
Dear members,

Per the posting by Thunderbrick: Are there GAS dues being collected now? Some years ago I wrote a check for $100 to make up for back dues, and then a check for $20 to help with a small matter. But after four years went by, and those two checks still weren't cashed, we wiped them off our books. Scott Faller told me that for a long while the person in charge was dealing with a sick wife, and so hadn't done anything with the money; then later it was generally felt that GAS was doing so little which required money that it would not be fair to collect dues, so existing checks were being discarded.

Perhaps he was mistaken? Or perhaps this was just one opinion, amongst many, all circulating amidst an unorganized conception of who and what we are and can do?

If now dues are actually being collected I would like to know. I wouldn't feel right about being one of those people who just sort of gets out of paying dues by never being forward enough to take care of the matter.

All the best,

Francis Baumli

daves

« Reply #32 on: 28 Feb 2015, 01:56 am »
Francis, dues have not been collected for a while, but honorary dues are waived if you bring food or snacks, or a good story, to the events you attend. Especially appreciated are situations where you show up with Kate Upton, or some other supermodel, in a small t shirt or otherwise scantily attired.

If any wives or girlfriends are present, they don't mind as long as arrangements are also made for some Chippendale dancers to serve the cocktails and appetizers. Otherwise, :nono:

Baumli

« Reply #33 on: 28 Feb 2015, 08:33 am »
Dear Dave,

I have been reading Shakespeare's sonnets all evening. I am teaching a class in poetry, for which I am scarcely qualified. But the point of stating this is to let you know that the world I tend to live in is different from the one you allude to--or perhaps are recommending. Kate Upton? I had never heard of her. So I looked her up on the Internet. Are you serious in suggesting I bring that poor girl? She seems to be quite burdened with the grim process of losing her battle with gravity.

So I suppose I should bring a story. I could tell about the famous C&W star I bedded when I was in my 20s. At the time I thought she was older than me, but now I realize she was 2&1/2 years younger. (Poor innocent me.) But no; I couldn't bring that story, because gentlemen don't tell. I suppose I could bring a snack. Would Kate Upton qualify as a snack? I am inclined to believe she could feed the multitudes, but then ... well, gentlemen don't speculate.

What is it a gentleman to do? Not being sure, I suppose I should just go back to reading Shakespeare.

In lieu of The Bard:

Francis Baumli

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 28 Feb 2015, 03:45 pm »
Beer makes friends.

Salad does not.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #35 on: 28 Feb 2015, 03:46 pm »
Beer makes friends.

Salad does not.

I gotta remember that one!
Nice!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 28 Feb 2015, 03:49 pm »
Thanks Bob.
Those two were using too many large words and over complicating things.
I thought I'd help by simplify things.

Baumli

« Reply #37 on: 2 Mar 2015, 06:05 am »
Dear Bob,

You are correct. All those words were becoming clutter and chaos. Thoreau taught us otherwise. I should have steered my course accordingly.

Since I am adjured to bring beer and a story to any meeting, and since I have been remiss about both at previous gatherings, perhaps it would help set matters aright if I here relay a simple story about beer.

As many of you know, I played bass during a good part of my life--both double bass and electric bass. I did a stint one summer with the SLSO when Walter Susskind came back as a guest conductor. (That gives you some idea of how long ago that was.) I played a good deal of classical music, but mostly I played jazz.

One stereotype, in classical music, is that double bass players are heavy-duty beer drinkers. Well, I never saw that in most classical bass players I knew. Most of them drank no more than most people, and when they did drink, it was either bourbon or Scotch. Except for the bass players of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. I never had the honor of playing with that orchestra, but I knew several of the bass players, and believe me, that bunch liked their beer. One evening I was with several of these men, and a fellow--Dutch by birth who spoke perfect English but with an accent--was being teased about how he could, and did, outdrink all the other bass players. Now, looking back, I realize he was probably a serious alcoholic, but he also was an impeccable bass player, which was all that counted for me at the time. But that evening he was being teased by those other bass players, and finally one of them said to him, "So how much beer do you think you could drink?"

I will never forget the baffled, amazed look that crossed that Dutchman's face. He paused, seemed to be searching for the right words, and then, in a very simple, innocent voice he said softly, "Any given quantity."

Now that was eloquent.

Given his candor and seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

The point of all this is that I can, at the next get-together, bring beer and a story. But you wouldn't want me to bring someone like that bass player. He might drink up all your beer.

Now for some Scotch,

Francis Baumli

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 2 Mar 2015, 02:19 pm »
Francis, I would be perfectly happy just listening to you tell stories, in person.

high figh

« Reply #39 on: 4 Mar 2015, 02:32 am »
Hello,
I am interested in the Ming Da MC 767RD tube phono stage. Sending PM now.
Thanks,
Herb.