Found "neo planar" speakers - NeoVMPS kit design?

klapse

Found "neo planar" speakers - NeoVMPS kit design?
« on: 9 Nov 2014, 04:53 pm »
Hi I found a place that is selling "Neo Panels"

[link removed, didn't work]

They list the lower cutoff as 400Hz though. Could we possibly design a kit VMPS clone using these?  Would it need a seperate midbass or could the drivers be used for 200-400Hz as well?

Who could design the crossovers. Who could select tweeter and bass?
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2014, 01:34 pm by klapse »

klapse

Re: Found "neo planar" speakers - NeoVMPS kit design?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2014, 05:29 pm »
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2014, 01:33 pm by klapse »

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2014, 03:00 am »
Actually those panels are well known to those who build speakers or appreciate planar drivers.

The BG-8 would not allow an actual  VMPS type of speakers since the heart of the VMPS System was the Neopanel running from 220Hz or so, to 5.9Khz.

While I understand the BG-10 can do that, I am not sure of the sound using that wide an FR.

I do know that one of the companies I am working with has been talking to BG regarding some custom built drivers, but I am not at liberty to disclose any information now.

But to answer your question, there will not be a VMPS kit using those drivers, but there may be a VMPS "inspired" model(s) from other companies.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2014, 03:08 am »
I used to own the VMPS RM40's for quite a long time, even went fully active with them toward the end.  Only speaker I've ever heard that I liked better was the Serenity Acoustics Super 7 at RMAF a couple of years ago.  They used the B&G Neo10 plus the Neo3 in a fully open baffle implementation, along with dual 12 inch servo subwoofers, also open baffle.  Jaw droppingly good.  And I'm pretty damn jaded when it comes to speakers.