Squeeze Box Touch Optimization

lcrim

Re: Squeeze Box Touch Optimization
« Reply #180 on: 31 Oct 2011, 07:23 pm »
Syrah:
Essentially you want the laptop to perform as a router.  You would be better served w/ a router acting as a router.  Its a bit more involved that that but I sent you a PM to keep down the bandwidth used.
Larry

bprice2

« Reply #181 on: 2 Nov 2011, 04:16 pm »
TT 3.0...it's here.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #182 on: 2 Nov 2011, 04:27 pm »
Excellent... thanks for the update :thumb:

lcrim

« Reply #183 on: 3 Nov 2011, 04:10 am »
I've had Klaus' TT3.0 running on both my Touch since late this AM. and about an hour ago I added the daemon killer.  Installation overall was fast and trouble free.  I am wondering what others think of the sound quality in total and the daemon killer in particular.  I also restored the infrared so my remote would work and the volume lock mod which I felt was an improvement.  I definately hear a more full sound w/ improved bass but the daemon killer may have provided better transparency but I need to listen more to be sure of the effect.
I'll write more later.
Larry

AB

« Reply #184 on: 3 Nov 2011, 04:36 am »
Loaded the TT 3.0 this afternoon and I'm impressed with the change.

No info on the daemon killer. I don't want to completely lose touch with my Touch.

The only negative issue I have noticed is that the menu's (via the remote) are now very quick and jumpy - hyper even. Has anyone else experienced this?

DZetye

« Reply #185 on: 3 Nov 2011, 09:41 pm »
is there any improvement to internet radio using these Sounddcheck mods?  Anybody know thats tried them?  Thanks in advance.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #186 on: 3 Nov 2011, 09:44 pm »
Just completed the TT3.0 then the Daemon killer.  Well, it's excellent.

Spent most of the morning listening to TT2.0.  I was on 7.5.6.  Changed to 7.7.0 (7.6 series never worked for me).  For whatever reason I thought 7.7.0 sounded better, who knows.  Then changed to TT3.0, definite improvement, particularly in bass lines (tighter, not as bloomy).  Then added Daemon killer - the biggest difference adding Daemon killer to my ears is a much blacker background.

He's doing some great work with the Touch.  It is getting better, but it might be short lived for me - thinking of picking up the Bryston BDP-1.  I've got quite a bit of 24/192 material I'd like to play native vice down sampled with DBpoweramp.

I do have the screen on and IR for remote use.  I just like seeing the screen.

Bolder digital mod on the Touch with the Deluxe PS (Bybee rails) and nitro power cable.
Mark

PS: Definitely a blacker background, this is pretty dadgum nice!
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2011, 11:01 pm by golfugh »

mfsoa

« Reply #187 on: 3 Nov 2011, 11:54 pm »
I'm looking forward to trying this as well - If I ever get power back (going on day six and it's gettin old fast)  :evil:

lcrim

« Reply #188 on: 4 Nov 2011, 12:07 am »
Mike:
I'll help you w/ the upgrade if you can wait till Saturday and have power.
Larry

mfsoa

« Reply #189 on: 4 Nov 2011, 12:19 am »
Thanks for the offer, Larry, but my Saturday GTG has been postponed again - Looking to do something around the holidays.

I should be able to do the 3.0 as I have done 2.0 several times.

How does the 3.0 "play with" the other mod (forgetting the name now - The IRQ mods - geez drawing a blank on the name sorry)

-Mike

shadowlight

« Reply #190 on: 4 Nov 2011, 12:26 am »
Thanks for the offer, Larry, but my Saturday GTG has been postponed again - Looking to do something around the holidays.

I should be able to do the 3.0 as I have done 2.0 several times.

How does the 3.0 "play with" the other mod (forgetting the name now - The IRQ mods - geez drawing a blank on the name sorry)

-Mike

Mike,

I believe you no longer need the dynobot mods since 3.0 includes those.  Have not read the readme/intro to 3.0 so for all I know I could be blowing hot air.

lcrim

« Reply #191 on: 4 Nov 2011, 12:34 am »
Mike:
I think you're referring to the Dynobots mod and I checked the rcS file before doing the daemon killer and the language wasn't there.  The transparency and the air that mod provided are not missing however.  he bass is much purer now and despite my earlier post, I am very pleased w/ the tone and timbre I am hearing from TT 3.0 
Sorry your power is still out, I was only down overnite and that still sucked.
Larry

tonyptony

« Reply #192 on: 4 Nov 2011, 01:42 am »
Hi Larry. Are you saying that TT 3.0 appears to bring the sound up to the same level as has been described by the Dynabot mods? To your ear is there any difference? (I'm assuming you've tried the Dynabots)

firedog

« Reply #193 on: 4 Nov 2011, 02:01 am »
If you check Soundcheck's thread at the SB forum, he says he thinks his new mods make the Dynabot ones unnecessary; however he hasn't checked for sure. Said he was going to check if there are conflicts between the mods, and then check what the effect of having both running is. Stay tuned.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #194 on: 4 Nov 2011, 02:14 am »
Okay fellas, this Klaus dude has really put in a lot of work for his time and this new mod is fantastic. I'm just giddy with the idea that I have my PC literally 'communicating' with the Linux software in the SB Touch and vice versa, using the 'enable ssha' sub routine on the Touch. Pretty cool. I'm lucky enough to have a wired setup. So in my configuration:

Volume is locked at 100%.
WLAN is off.
Display is permanently off.
Only digital output. Analog is off, as I use a dac.
Daemon box killer is on.
Buffer size is 4000us.

Anyway, if you guys don't mind sending me a pm, I would like to know what everybody in general is 'donating' to Klaus for his time on bringing these improvements to us. Just need a ball park figure that's all.

Thanks again for all the help,

Anand.

lcrim

« Reply #195 on: 4 Nov 2011, 03:22 am »
Yes, I think it sounds very nice but to add the 5 or 6 lines to the rcS file and see what that does is the proper way to test that mod.  I also added a different computer today to run the Logitech Media Server and getting all the details to come together required multiple reboots and I'm getting tired of reinstalling TT 3.0 on the two Touch , at least for tonight.  I'll probably check it out tomorrow.(the daemon killer means you must reinstall again.)
It does sound good though and donate some gelt to Klaus.
Larry

firedog

« Reply #196 on: 4 Nov 2011, 09:13 am »
Hi-

I tried it too and am pretty happy with the results. A blacker quieter background. Very revealing sound. Detail easy to hear. Maybe too revealing for some. Seems like just music is playing. Similar to what JPlay player does to a Windows PC.

I have noticed a couple of individual songs that sound odd after the update. Possibly this means that the toolbox is so revealing that it is showing up something lacking in these particular recordings that I could never hear before. Or something else....

I've also noticed the Touch menus seem a bit jumpy after the update. I'll ask Klaus/Soundcheck about it on his thread at the SB forum.

lcrim

« Reply #197 on: 4 Nov 2011, 01:17 pm »
As far as the Dynobots mod is concerned :
I added it to one of my Touch last night.  I listened for a while and there was a slightly veiled quality to the treble that had been much clearer and precise w/ the TT 3.0 pkg only.  I don't use an external DAC so whatever changes to spdif priorities that the Dynobots mod creates would be lost on my systems.

So I decided that I would put that unit back on the TT 3.0 mods only.Going back to factory settings and reinstalling and reconfiguring the tool became a real odyssey.(Of course earlier in the day this had become a routine thing but well after midnight it it was a pita.)  The laptop I was using to do the WinSCP stuff had lost its wireless connection to my home network  but I didn't see that right away.  It was close to 2:30 AM before I figured it out and got things working again.
Larry

lcrim

« Reply #198 on: 6 Nov 2011, 01:45 am »
After another day of listening, the TT 3.0 mods are a terrific addition in both my Touch.  In my opinion, they raise the playback quality dramatically.  I have reinstalled from factory settings more times than I can remember and  there is no drawback that I can hear.  Highest recommendation.
Larry   

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #199 on: 6 Nov 2011, 02:27 am »
I agree. I have it hooked up temporarily to the kitchen system (Emotiva ceiling speakers) and boy does the Touch with Klaus' TT3.0 mods make cooking a whole lot more fun. Family is enjoying it. It's a nice place to have the unit break in, as I just had it returned from Wayne at Bolder who did a digital mod to the unit.

Anand.