Amarra best version

audioengr

Re: Amarra best version
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2012, 07:08 pm »
Well Splashtop doesn't work with this new version, when i launch it from my iPad Amara stops playing :(

I found Splashtop to be quite flakey.  VNC is much better.

Steve N.

REShaman

« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2012, 02:47 am »
After further attention, I was completely wrong about Amarra build 474 being the source of dropouts. Having been playing albums for at least 20 hours since I posted my earlier concern without one dropout. Rather the SQ is gorgeous. Been playing AIFF tracks from 44.1/16 to 192/24, XLD conversion redbook CDs, and downloads from various vendors including HDtracks. Not one dropout. Whatever was going on at least in my situation was not an Amarra problem. There has since been several updates including OSX, Safari, and consequential problems with other computer services that have nothing to do with Amarra's performance.
Clearly this is the best build yet. Amarra has also reduced the price points so there are several editions offering features that differ consistent with the price. Highly recommended. Probably will hear a response from Steve who favors an early build. Perhaps, when you listen to the new build, you may reach a different opinion.
Enjoy the music,
Richard

audioengr

« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2012, 09:15 pm »
I dont have such a good opinion of the first release of 2.4.  I just rebuild my Mini to have 8GB DRAM and 120GB SSD.

It sounds great with 2.33 rev 4319.

With 2.4, the bass is wooley and unfocused IMO.  Not nearly as clear and focused as 4319.  I'm sticking with 4319 for now.

Steve N.

tpaxadpom

« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2012, 04:44 am »
4344 is my favorite. 2.4 is great, but it sounds more like Pure Music. Too much emphasize on the upper end. Life music doesn't sound like this. It's good to analyze sounds. 2.4 is the first version of amarra that I can get tired of listening to (not nearly as bad as PureMusic though). Everything is IMHO.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2012, 06:56 am by tpaxadpom »

woodcans

« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2012, 05:42 pm »
Do you have a download link for build 4319? I only have build 4344 and would like to try that one to compare to 2.4.

I dont have such a good opinion of the first release of 2.4.  I just rebuild my Mini to have 8GB DRAM and 120GB SSD.

It sounds great with 2.33 rev 4319.

With 2.4, the bass is wooley and unfocused IMO.  Not nearly as clear and focused as 4319.  I'm sticking with 4319 for now.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2012, 06:37 pm »
Do you have a download link for build 4319? I only have build 4344 and would like to try that one to compare to 2.4.

See first post.

Steve N.

tpaxadpom

« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2012, 08:57 pm »
Make sure 4319 is 4319 and not 4318. See about amarra.

woodcans

« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2012, 12:55 am »
Thanks!  :duh:

See first post.

Steve N.

woodcans

« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2012, 08:07 pm »
As linked in post 1, for me it downloads 4318, not 4319. I compared 4318 to the current version and in my system the current version sounds better.

Make sure 4319 is 4319 and not 4318. See about amarra.

audioengr

« Reply #29 on: 25 May 2012, 04:46 am »
As linked in post 1, for me it downloads 4318, not 4319. I compared 4318 to the current version and in my system the current version sounds better.

Jon must have put the wrong version on his webpage.....

I am trying 4344 tomorrow.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #30 on: 26 May 2012, 04:45 pm »

Something is wrong then.  4318/19 is definitely better than either 4344 or 4347.

4319 has a clarity and liveness that these others lack. No deficiencies that I can identify, other than bugs with 192 and 176. 

4344 spotlights the vocalist, but warms-up and compresses all of the highs, so that piano and guitars dont sound live.  Boring, says my wife.  With 4347 the bass is out of focus.

Steve N.

REShaman

« Reply #31 on: 29 May 2012, 02:21 am »
I promised Steve I would install 4319 and compare with 4344, which I like but I am not in love with. In the interim, I have access to beta's as I am on the beta team. While close to publishing a new update to the Amarra 2.4 recent update, the Releases I am listening to are so favorable, that I am regretfully breaking my word to Steve and will not install 4319. I am not doubting Steve. No one wins RMAF twice in a row (OK tied for 1st place the second time still a win) for best sound by chance. I trust Steve's ears. I also can not comment with any authority about something I have not heard. What I have heard is a new and different better sound post 2.4. And some additional changes/fixes are so attractive that one may wish to get on board when the train pulls out of the station (to mix metaphors). BTW, the poster who compares 2.4 to PM which I also own, while I never argue with perception, I will venture my own and say PM sounds rounded off starting from the mids to the treble. The next iteration will address Steve's perception of wooley bass, I am only guessing at what Steve might conclude. I am extremely satisfied. So for me, being me works. Started saving again for the OffRamp 5 after paying a large deductible when a stretch limousine the size and length of a tractor trailer hit my new car. Looking forward to the addition. Have to be patient.
Forgive me Steve. Maybe you'll even change your opinion soon.
Best,
Richard

woodcans

« Reply #32 on: 29 May 2012, 04:51 pm »
Interesting. I'll do another comparison. And look forward to the upcoming 2.4 update.

Something is wrong then.  4318/19 is definitely better than either 4344 or 4347.

4319 has a clarity and liveness that these others lack. No deficiencies that I can identify, other than bugs with 192 and 176. 

4344 spotlights the vocalist, but warms-up and compresses all of the highs, so that piano and guitars dont sound live.  Boring, says my wife.  With 4347 the bass is out of focus.

Steve N.

REShaman

« Reply #33 on: 29 May 2012, 07:48 pm »
Interesting. I'll do another comparison. And look forward to the upcoming 2.4 update.
Please understand that I hold Steve in the highest regard and am not challenging his discernment. I, however, have my own frame of reference, I have my own system, I have access to builds/releases as a beta tester for Sonic that persuade me otherwise. Is Steve wrong? Am I right? Only the beholder can decide that. I am a fan of Steve's expertise and intend to be one of his customers, if he puts up with me, as soon as I can afford a OffRamp 5.
Stay vigilant, you won't be disappointed. Or...
Best,
Richard

woodcans

« Reply #34 on: 30 May 2012, 01:57 pm »
I wonder how much difference different models/macs with different power supplies/memory/processing power/hard drives makes. And how this affects interaction with the software/Amarra.

REShaman

« Reply #35 on: 30 May 2012, 03:01 pm »
I wonder how much difference different models/macs with different power supplies/memory/processing power/hard drives makes. And how this affects interaction with the software/Amarra.
That is actually a very astute observation. Jon of Sonic mentions that a more more powerful and faster processor can influence Amarra's performance. As well as what one has running in the background. And how certain programs steal focus and priority from Amarra, for example Safari is one of the culprits.
Best,
Richard

audioengr

« Reply #36 on: 30 May 2012, 09:46 pm »

Here is what I found:

2009 Mini sounds best.  120GB SSD m akes about 10% improvement.  8GB DRAM makes no difference.

Making
the SW changes in the other thread (UltraFi) makes aboiut 20% improvement.

Amarra 4319 makes about 30% imrovement.

A better power suppl for the Mini makes an improvement, but I have not tried it on mine yet.

Using one of the two inner USB ports makes about 15% improvement.

Steve N.

worldcat

« Reply #37 on: 30 May 2012, 10:35 pm »
How do the current mac mini's sound?

REShaman

« Reply #38 on: 31 May 2012, 12:03 pm »
How do the current mac mini's sound?

There are changes coming that are already quite specific and to my ears the best I have ever heard Amarra Symphony which is the edition I use. I yield to Steve's expertise and I don't pretend to have any. Merely I listen and make adjustments to find the best SQ and how that makes me feel. Regarding memory, the more the merrier notwithstanding that Steve says it's not that important. A certain amount helps the cache load tracks into memory. The more memory the better. My Mac Mini is the Thunderbolt version of the 2011 Mac Mini with i7 and 256 SSD (SSD is preferred over HDDs). That also adds to the quality. The faster the Mac Mini the better. I have no experience with the Mach Mini 2 or any of their editions. Steve uses them or used that model at RMAF. Actually, I should not comment, as I was even there, and Steve is the best source. So I 'll speak from my experience. I originally purchased a 2011 Mac Mini (but in the 2010 style) that was all they offered other than the Mac Mini server. I changed the HDD to an SSD. That made a difference. I ordered minimum memory and purchased max memory from OWC (very inexpensive and Apple charges an obscene price for memory sold very inexpensively by comparison). That made a difference. Cabling makes a difference. Steve's OffRamp5 made a big difference when briefly added to my Thunderbolt Mac Mini. The Promise Pegasus 12TB Raid 5 made a difference.
The latest published Amarra is very fine. What is coming down the pike is exquisite and there are significant improvements. Best to leave it at that. I keep my Mac Mini mini-mum when running Amarra and the sound is delicious.
Best,
Richard

tpaxadpom

« Reply #39 on: 1 Jun 2012, 05:55 am »
Comparing different players in different systems is similar to comparing different cables in different systems. Lion vs Snow Leopard may yield different results as well. Gordon Rankin prefers Lion to Snow Leopard despite integer mode available only in Leopard (this isn't important for Offramp users, if I am not mistaken they don't support integer mode). Amarra is typically my choice for Mac (PM has deeper soundstage and perhaps more accurate low end), Jplay is fantastic player for Win. Sometimes I prefer one over the other. My preferences change depending on the mood I am in/music I listen to.
How does one become a beta tester for Amarra?