Yamaha A-S3000 (What's not to like?)

Sonny

Re: Yamaha A-S3000 (What's not to like?)
« Reply #20 on: 17 Apr 2014, 06:39 pm »
Well, I saw this when I was looking to discard my separates and go with an integrated.  Ended up with the Marantz PM11S3.  The Marantz is Cheaper and built just as solid if not more solid.  I like the Marantz's look much better.  The Yamaha, those knobs, not my style, though I love the meter for sure.

I like my Marantz a lot!

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 17 Apr 2014, 06:59 pm »
I'm a big Marantz fan, especially the vintage stuff, but the 11S3 is one awesome machine. Everything done well, plenty of power to drive most speakers to reasonable levels and built to last for damn near ever.

My latest Marantz piece is the ST-17U (REV B) FM tuner. All I can say is what a machine.

Sonny

« Reply #22 on: 17 Apr 2014, 07:55 pm »
Yes, they do and the warranty is 3 years.
Also, I got the matching SA11S3 sacd player with the DAC.

Freo-1

« Reply #23 on: 17 Apr 2014, 08:30 pm »
Well, I saw this when I was looking to discard my separates and go with an integrated.  Ended up with the Marantz PM11S3.  The Marantz is Cheaper and built just as solid if not more solid.  I like the Marantz's look much better.  The Yamaha, those knobs, not my style, though I love the meter for sure.

I like my Marantz a lot!

The Marantz is also a good option.

I think the Yamaha looks WAY cooler than the Marantz.  I also suspect the Yamaha may sound slightly more refined than the Marantz,
due to the balanced topology.  You would have to compare them side by side, and good luck getting a roomful of Audiophiles to agree on that one!  :lol:

As they say, It's "horses for courses:thumb:

johsti

« Reply #24 on: 17 Apr 2014, 10:58 pm »
I also prefer the classic looks of the Yamaha, but sound quality is what matters the most. The PM11S3 looks like a beast of an integrated amp.  I'd love to audition one sometime.

Freo-1

« Reply #25 on: 17 Apr 2014, 11:11 pm »
It would be a good comparison for the Yamaha against the Marantz.  My money would be on the Yamaha.  Others may prefer the Marantz.

roscoeiii

« Reply #26 on: 17 Apr 2014, 11:31 pm »
One review of a Yamaha amp (forget if it was the 2000 or 3000) suggested that it was overly laid back. Anyone with experience with these amps have a similar impression?

johsti

« Reply #27 on: 17 Apr 2014, 11:38 pm »
I found this review on a Danish audio site where they briefly compare the A-S3000 and the PM11S3

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da&u=http://www.lydogbillede.dk/test/yamaha-cd-s3000-og-a-s3000/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmarantz%2Bpm11s3%2Bvs%2Byamaha%2Ba-s3000%26start%3D10%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D5Vx%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26channel%3Dsb%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D770

The sound of the amplifier
Many of the sound image qualities, it is the amplifier that stands for. It is simply amazing that the music flows out of the speakers, whether you play on low or fairly high level. The amplifier is provided to moderate 100 watts per. channel is beyond me, but I was actually startled by the Marantz PM-11S3 in the same price range that are also specified at 100 watts. Here one must not think that the effect is provided with the same inflated figures as cheaper amplifiers and - oh horror! - Surround receivers.

Yamaha A-S3000 has an even more confident and rhythmic mid-bass reproduction than the competitor from Marantz. And although it may not be experienced as fast as Bladelius Thor III, it has a more charming warmth of the sound, which probably will dress speakers may seem a bit too analytical. However, Yamaha amplifier is not slow. In any way. And you have to play pretty loud before it becomes breathless, although Bladelius on paper 75 watts more per year. channel.

If we compare directly with Hegel H300 - having complete 250 watts per. channel that speakers can amuse themselves with - it's clear that Hegel can be pressed even more before it gives up.

To test this a little more closely, we try both Hegel H300 and Yamaha A-S3000 with the huge Klipsch RF-7 II (tested at a future point of Sound & Image). It's speakers with a sensitivity of extreme 101 decibels with 1 watt, which thus invites to play loud. Really loud. Put some hefty music such. the tough "Hey Man, Nice Shot" by Filter, and Yamaha amplifier shakes the walls well. But not as good as Hegel, pounding rhythms even tougher out.

Now the A-S3000 also not intended to discos. I just think it's cool to force an amplifier to the breaking point. It, however, I pay attention to is how silent Yamaha amplifier is when no music is played. The sensitive Klipsch speakers would hurtle part of an amplifier with higher noise floor, and Yamaha amplifier is actually quieter than Hegel. You have to put your ear right up to the speakers to hear anything.

Also note that the Yamaha A-S3000 is not afraid Hegel H300 when it comes to life and sparkle in the sound. Hegel has some more punch - even in the midrange - and stand dynamic between better contrast when playing loud. But it has not Yamaha's charm and warmth, and when playing low, I actually think that Yamaha sounds more inviting.

Freo-1

« Reply #28 on: 17 Apr 2014, 11:50 pm »
Nice review.  The guy seems to like it quite a lot. 

johsti

« Reply #29 on: 17 Apr 2014, 11:50 pm »
One review of a Yamaha amp (forget if it was the 2000 or 3000) suggested that it was overly laid back. Anyone with experience with these amps have a similar impression?

I would never describe the A-S2000 as overly laid back, and prior to the Yammy I owned a Naim integrated which would probably make many amps sound laid back.

Sonny

« Reply #30 on: 17 Apr 2014, 11:55 pm »
Well, sounds like the reviewer really likes the Yamaha.

I have the Marantz and if anyone has the Yamaha, we can A/B.

Let me know!

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #31 on: 25 Aug 2014, 12:01 pm »
Bump.

Anyone else with the Yamaha A-S3000 and can offer their opinion? Thanks!

jleffell

« Reply #32 on: 20 Jun 2015, 06:09 am »
This thread has brought me some peace.

About a month ago I noticed that Yamaha is releasing the A-S1100 (http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s1100_g/?mode=model) but it has not yet shown up on the US site. I have emailed Yamaha USA and they don't know but it seems like it is the norm to introduce the new integrateds in Europe/Asia and then bring them here. Of course, there is no guarantee but I have been considering splurging on the 2100 so now I will wait a few months to see. I have not checked every spec but they seem very close. Of course the 3000 would be the dream but it is way too much money - even at a considerable discount.

I would be able to afford both the amplifier and CD player at the 1000 level - I can't wait! I just hope they bring it over here in silver.

RDavidson

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jun 2015, 04:01 pm »
That 1100 looks sweet. I love the classic looks of these new Yamaha units, as well as the actual classics. While a 3000 or 2100 would be great, they'd be a bit overkill for my purposes.....not to mention the price of the 3000 is too high as others have stated. If the 1100 retails closer to $2000ish or less (like $1500 street price), I'll definitely be on the look-out.
It seems that the only real difference between the 1100 and 2100 is that the 1100 is single ended.....which is great if you weren't likely going to take advantage of the 2100's (expensive) balanced circuitry. This should make the 1100 cost significantly less the 2100.

jleffell

« Reply #34 on: 20 Jun 2015, 05:33 pm »
Yes that sounds about right. No XLR on the 1100. One other interesting difference is that the MM/MC phono switch is on the front of the 2100 and the back of the 1100. Doesn't it make more sense to put it in the back or do people often rapidly switch out turntables? There is also no headphone trim on the 1100 but I don't intend to use it as a headphone amp anyways.

I hadn't even considered pairing the 2100 with the CD player because it is almost as expensive - but the great thing about the CD-S2100 (and 3000 for that matter) is that it functions as a DAC as well. I suppose I could buy a great external DAC for the difference in price between the CD-S2100 and CD-S1000 but it would be nice to have less boxes. Of course this is all dependent on the release of the A-S1100 in the US. If not, I will be tasked with finding a good discount on the A-S2100.

My only other concern is that these are not jam packed with power. I know that the Japanese manufacturers can be quite conservative in their power ratings and the listed wattage is just a number, but my room is 27' x 13' x 10' (lwh) with a large opening. Can anyone with a 2100 or 3000 comment on using it a large space?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 20 Jun 2015, 05:47 pm »
Depends on speaker efficiency and user throttle tendencies. I use an A-S2000 to drive a pair of speakers rated at 97 db. If anything I have too much gain, having never turned the volume as high as noon in my 22 x 15 x 9 room.

RDavidson

« Reply #36 on: 20 Jun 2015, 06:50 pm »
I wouldn't get too caught up with power ratings, unless you have inefficient speakers  (Magnepan, Thiel, etc) and/or your room is huge.

jleffell

« Reply #37 on: 21 Jun 2015, 03:11 am »
My current speakers have a sensitivity of 87dB (Dali Rubicon 2) and my room is pretty big (~3500 ft^3).

These are bookshelf speakers and I have not moved to the house yet (that is happening this week) so we will see how well they fill the space.

For now I have a Sansui AU 719 but I would like to have such luxuries as a remote control for the living room. Perhaps I will put the Sansui + Bookshelf combo in the office and the Yamaha + sensitive floorstanders in the large living room. I am in no rush - I want to take my time with this to find a great solution and I hope it includes the A-S2100/1100.

jleffell

« Reply #38 on: 30 Jul 2015, 10:00 pm »
And the A-S1100 is up on Yamaha's site! That took less time than I anticipated.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s1100_g/?mode=model

Sonny

« Reply #39 on: 28 Aug 2015, 08:00 pm »
I definitely like the "retro" looks of the Yamaha!

I wonder how it stacks up in sound as compared to it's bigger brother and my Marantz PM11S3.

T