Newbie looking for info.

prychor

Newbie looking for info.
« on: 30 Jun 2015, 02:18 pm »
I'm starting a new system for my 11X12 listening room, and I'm looking to learn more about tube and solid state amps/pre-amps, particularly Van Alstine products.  When I've built stereo and home theater systems in the past, I've always relied on mass market receivers and amps, so I don't really understand the world of audiophile grade products, how they differ, and what they will do.

In my case, I want to start with a 3.0 or 3.1 system (I saw the AVA Synergy 240/3 amp. on the website, which is what sparked my interest in AVA, along with some positive comments on the Salk Sound website). I may add rears later. I'm assuming I can run HDMI video direct from the sources to the TV, and use the pre-amp or integrated amplifier functionality to run audio from those sources (is that accurate)?

But when I read about tubes and solid state, these concepts are newer to me, and I want to make sure that what I acquire suits my purposes (around 75% music, classical and rock mostly), and 25% movies/TV, (not looking to rock the house, have a media room for that but would like it to play loud and "bass-y" as needed), and would want the ability to add a two-channel configuration to support surrounds in the future.

Any assistance or direction that anybody could provide would be most welcome.

Thanks!