APC in Hi Fi

Escott1377

APC in Hi Fi
« on: 23 Apr 2015, 04:07 pm »
Does anyone have experience with APC within their system?

Right now I have a Shunyata power strip with an in line conditioner feeding most of my gear and I have run out of room.

I have this model from a few years ago: APC 1500 VA H Type Power Conditioner H15BLK, Black

I have tube equipment and solid state.

Should it make a difference on what type of component is plugged into either power options?

Should I just load up the Shunyata witht the solid state amps (2), tube amps (2), tube phono stage, tube pre amp, and let the rest go into the outlet?

I also will be adding a digital signal processor to help compensate for the room acoustics and should it be on its own as well?

I have always heard that your DAC should not be mixed w/ other components, but never told why.

Thanks in advance. -

roscoeiii

Re: APC in Hi Fi
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2015, 04:24 pm »
I've used one, and in my old apt it was great, especially for dealing with my old wiring's fluctuating voltage.

If you've got one, then try it out and report back!!

Power conditioning is very system and home wiring dependent, IME.

rpf

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2015, 06:45 pm »
In general, digital and analog components should be kept separate because of the noise digital equipment generates.

Power conditioners almost always (always in my experience with a half dozen conditioners up to $5k) reduce dynamics. If anything is plugged into the wall directly, it should be the amplifier(s).

I have an APC S15 power conditioner and it works well with some of my digital gear (Mac Mini, external HD, and USB converter). With these items I don't hear any difference between the conditioner and the wall outlet.

IIRC there was only a slight decrease in sound quality with my DAC (it was a while ago).

My integrated amp, however, suffered a decrease in various sound quality parameters.

« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2015, 02:54 am by rpf »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2015, 10:05 pm »
The thing to do is try you amp and preamp first in the power conditioner and then plugged directly into the wall.
See what you think.

Kim S.

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:04 am »
I had a APCs15 which I liked.  I had it hooked into the analog side of my system only, my monoblocks and preamp.  I have dedicated lines for my digital and analog and wanted to keep them separate.  I am now using some large isolation transformers for the analog. Better than the APC, but the APC is still a good piece.