homebrew cleaning solution

rcag_ils

homebrew cleaning solution
« on: 20 Aug 2014, 08:17 pm »
Hey Wayner, will 1 part 90% alcohol and 3 part distilled water take out too much stabilizer from the vinyl record? Discwasher said it had to be perfectly balance or it would do damage to the record.

Wayner

Re: homebrew cleaning solution
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2014, 08:41 pm »
I've been using it for 40 years, so.......no. And what Discwasher said is what I call "marketing".......

BTW, I use 99%, not 90. And yes, they do make it. 'cause I have 2 bottles of it in my cupboard......

rcag_ils

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2014, 08:52 pm »
I bought the 91% that the store had on hand (hope that 8% won't make a huge difference), mixed it up as you recommended, cleaned a few average records that I have. Although it doesn't get rid of all the pops and ticks, but I noticed the music has a clearer texture. I have not tried the shop vac since I don't have the proper brush attachment, but I am working on it.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2014, 08:57 pm »
Good. I just shop-vac'd Styx - Paradise Theather (then listened to it) and it was practically noise free. I haven't heard this LP for a long, long time all the way thru and enjoyed it very much.

simoon

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2014, 07:42 pm »
I was able to find 99% at a large makeup and beauty supply store with a department that caters to the movie industry.

It was cheap.

The problem with the 90% stuff is the other 10% most likely has particulate impurities that redeposit on the record.