Favorite Internet Radio Stations

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Favorite Internet Radio Stations
« on: 23 Dec 2016, 03:55 am »
Hey all : what are your favorite  Internet radio stations and why?

I'll be honest, I primarily use TIDAL, but their curated content is pretty poor and limited to some basic playlists.  Not so great for new music discovery.  So interested in good internet radio options to discover new artist or great albums and subsequently find and play via TIDAL. All genres welcome - free preferred.

« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2016, 05:04 am by jarcher »

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Favorite Internet Radio Stations
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2016, 04:07 am »
Some of mine have been the local WETA for classical and KCRW from California for eclectic music. SomaFM have interesting channels such as "Groove Salad" and "Secret Agent". Many people also seem to like Radio Paradise.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2016, 09:30 am »
KMHD Jazz Radio. 89.1
All Classical 89.9

Both are local to Portland, OR.

KMHD shows me music that I didn't know existed. It's a good education. I am a donor.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2016, 10:09 am »
KMHD Jazz Radio. 89.1
All Classical 89.9

Both are local to Portland, OR.

KMHD shows me music that I didn't know existed. It's a good education. I am a donor.
My favor station was the Foshan(romantic songs) in Taiwan or Taipé, but afew years ago it gone. If you have the new link please let me know, I fail to find due the Mandarim alphabet.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2016, 11:43 am by FullRangeMan »

Doublej

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2016, 02:30 pm »
The 'Audiophile' network (so named because of their 320K streams) are quite good and there are streams in a variety of genres. You can listen through their web page or add the stream info to the player of your choice:
http://stream.psychomed.gr/

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2016, 03:01 pm »
Have listened to these folks for years KNKX ( formerly KPLU, Pacific Lutheran University) 88.5 locally (Seattle/Tacoma) . For same reasons you've noted, to discover new jazz as well as hear things I haven't in some time. Excellent Blues program Fri & Sat as well.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2016, 04:14 pm »
If listening to internet radio, it is usually one of the three Linn Radio stations.  Quality it good.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2016, 04:14 pm »
Here's the details - https://www.linn.co.uk/radio

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2016, 04:24 pm »
Hi All,

I listen to wwuh.org for their jazz programming.  9-12 noon est Monday through Friday and 9-midnight Tuesday through Friday.  Different host and focus each segment so you will be introduced to a wide variety.  The station also archives for the following two weeks.  They stream at 320.  Bonus.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2016, 05:23 pm »
If listening to internet radio, it is usually one of the three Linn Radio stations.  Quality it good.
North Americans also do same, now they are playing rap(Notorious B.I.G. - Juicy) :duh:
McIntoch Music: http://customchannels.net/streaming/mcintosh/music/index.html

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2016, 06:14 pm »
WCPE 89.7 100kW Wake Forest, NC - wcpe.org, theclassicalstation.org. 24/7/365 classical music. No news, no ads, no college ownership, no government grants, supported 100% by listener donations. Owned and operated by an audiophile who has modded the transmitting equipment for better SQ. Many shows featuring different types of classical music. My favorite shows are the all request "Saturday Evening Request Program," and the all new recordings program "Preview" 6-9PM on Sunday nights. This is where you hear the modern, experimental, exciting classical music and latest high end quality recordings. The station publishes the playlist online so you can always look up the details of what you are hearing. The online playlist is linked to Arkivmusik.com where you can easily buy the CDs that you heard on the radio and a portion of the sale is donated to the station. Can't say enough good things about WCPE. Anyone can listen to their online stream. As I understand they stream in various formats to suit all player software. The drive time shows are pretty low key traditional safe classics (elevator music) with the occasional Chopin or Beethoven piano solo thrown in to make it worth listening. But evening and midnight shows are very satisfying. Lots of dynamic compression applied and slightly softer EQ than the CD, but tone quality is always natural and satisfying.

WKCR radio from Columbia University, in Manhattan, NY, plays a lot of jazz and classical music. They have a show called "Bird Flight" hosted by human jazz encyclopedia Phil Schaap, which rotates through playing all known recordings, official releases and bootlegs, of the king of bebop and the greatest jazz musician of all time, Charlie Parker. Every weekday at 8:20 - 9:30AM he describes in excruciating detail every known fact about Bird and each recording. The cycle repeats from beginning to end, and gets better every year. I first listened to the show in 1986 while attending a jazz college in Brooklyn and have been listening on and off since then. They are also famous for doing annual non-stop music "orgies" featuring 14 favorite artists on their birthdays. 24 hours Clifford Brown Orgy, Thelonius Monk Orgy, Ellington Orgy, 72 hour Beethoven Orgy, 10 day Bach Orgy, etc, the jazz artists hosted and programmed by Phil Schaap with same detail and insight as Bird Flight. Looking at the website, I see that they, Columbia University, one of the most liberal colleges in the world, have predictably put the ex-nay on the word "Orgy," in this age of easily triggered snowflakes.  They now call the events "Birthday Broadcasts."

OzarkTom

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2016, 06:22 pm »
I  listen to this station 80% of the time,, great SQ.

http://abclounge.radio.net/

nature boy

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2016, 06:33 pm »
Radio Paradise
WRTI - jazz
WXPN - new artists
WGBO - jazz

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2016, 06:58 pm »
Very interesting listen the airport radios and listen the absurdities that happen between the tower control and the pilots.
Rio de Janeiro Internatioal Airport Galeão:
http://www.radios.com.br/aovivo/aeroporto-internacional-do-rio-de-janeiro-galeao/15028

findog3103

« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2016, 07:58 pm »
BBC-6 for Everything.

dflee

« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec 2016, 11:11 pm »
I'm with Rich on WCPE. Really well done all the way around for classical.
Am finding myself listening to WXRT out of Chicago. Really eclectic rock.
Being from that area I listened to this station when it first started in the 70s and learned
about a wide variety and diverse type of music covering many genre.

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 23 Dec 2016, 11:39 pm »
I was with ya and ready to check out WCPE until you got to the 'lots of dynamic compression' part, so I'll stick with Audiophile Classical out of Athens, unless KWAX-FM in Eugene Oregon- the greatest classical station I've ever heard- decides to re-start their streaming. Inasmuch they 'went dark' at least a year ago, it's hard to be optimistic.

Mike B.

« Reply #18 on: 24 Dec 2016, 03:23 am »
Jukebox Radio
Radio Paradise
Folk Alley
Hot Mix Radio

JDoyle

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jan 2017, 01:01 am »
I really enjoy cjrt out of Toronto, it's radio with DJ's and limited commercials, but overall a great station.
Try listening at different times, I especially like Saturday afternoons with Walter Vanafro
www.jazz.fm