Current State Of Plasma

John151

Current State Of Plasma
« on: 28 Nov 2014, 02:51 pm »
We are close to pulling the trigger on a basement finishing project, so naturally I am starting to prepare for another flat panel purchase. In the past, I have been a strong proponent of Plasma over LCD/LED and have purchased several Panasonic Plasmas over the years.  While it is clear that the LED technology is advancing rapidly while Plasma is stagnating/evaporating, I am thinking that for my needs (watching sports and movies on a limited basis in a basement), spending as little as possible on a LG or Samsung plasma is probably the best option (I can get a 61" 1080P Samsung delivered to my door for $700).  I am debating between "buy the Plasma now while you can still get them" vs. the "hold off, TVs get better and cheaper with time", and I am kicking myself for not getting a Panny when they announced they were nixing production.

Does anyone know if LG and Samsung will continue to make Plasmas?  Also, does anyone have opinions on LG and Samsung plasmas in general?  Do they compare to the Panasonic models?

audio.bill

Re: Current State Of Plasma
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2014, 03:04 pm »
LG was the last company to still be producing plasma sets for the US, and they are ceasing production this month. This article details the plasma production situation: http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/30/technology/plasma-tv/

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2014, 03:48 pm »
If you have plasma and like it, I think the decision is pretty straightforward to get another. 

I did.  2x more!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2014, 04:08 pm »
When I heard of Panasonic leaving the plasma production wars, I was puzzled as to what would cause an industry leader to leave a field they all but own. Then I started seeing more and more mention of this new 4K standard and assumed that the Panny People must be redirecting their efforts toward machines that can exploit the new technology and Panasonic, true to it's history, intends to lead in that as well.
It is probably also why my cable company, which does nothing for anyone but itself, has magnanimously announced that I will see my download capabilities double from 30 mbps to 60 mbps by next summer.
At this point, I will direct readers to the "cutting the cable" thread because this points us one step closer to monopoly. Of course, if too many of us opt out of cable (and/or dish) legislation will emerge requiring us to subscribe for our own safety. Meanwhile, propaganda will take another giant step deeper into our psyches. Chip implants seem to have been avoided due to the pervasiveness of cell phones.
There does not appear to be a current state of plasma. It's time to write its eulogy. I've got a 59 inch Samsung and a 50 inch Panasonic which will only be replaced if I become so obsessive about energy consumption that I have nowhere else to cut. And I may join the other dinosaurs before that.

John151

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2014, 04:21 pm »
I've got a 59 inch Samsung and a 50 inch Panasonic which will only be replaced if I become so obsessive about energy consumption that I have nowhere else to cut. And I may join the other dinosaurs before that.

How does the Samsung compare to the Panasonic?  Have you been pleased with the Samsung?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2014, 04:37 pm »
I can't find fault with either of them but I have seen mention more than once about peeling screens and missing pixels with Samsungs. No such problems here.

The Panny is TC-P50G10, about 5years old. The Samsung is a 7000 series and around 3 years old. Sometimes I find myself just gasping at the picture quality - and that happens with both of them.

John151

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2014, 05:00 pm »
ISometimes I find myself just gasping at the picture quality - and that happens with both of them.

Gasping = good?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2014, 05:07 pm »
Yes - I think they are both very good. I usually only have bad gasps where price is involved.

W9tr

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2014, 05:15 pm »
I love out two 50"  Panny plasmas. I'll miss them when I ultimately have to replace them. Some of the new 4k LCD's are looking awesome, though. Hopefully the Panny's will last long enough for the cost and quality of the best LCD's to be competitive.

SlyFuu

« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2014, 05:22 pm »
Does anyone know if LG and Samsung will continue to make Plasmas?  Also, does anyone have opinions on LG and Samsung plasmas in general?  Do they compare to the Panasonic models?

From what I've read this is the last year for the majority of the major company's will be producing plasma's. Personally if you can budget it, I'd go with a Samsung F8500 series plasma. They're touted as being the best plasma currently made, even better than Panasonic who has consistently lead in that market.

Currently Bestbuy has some deals on them.
PN51F8500 - $999
PN60F8500 - $1499
PN64F8500 - $2,499.98

While it does excel in picture quality from what I understand they're not the best gaming diaplays. They have some sort of delay built in, I believe with some of the features turned off it sits somewhere around 50ms which is still pretty bad.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2014, 05:33 pm »
I just bought a 60" Sony LED. (I have a Samsung 50" plasma. )

I hope LED is the way to go.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2014, 06:37 pm »
I have a 50" Samsung plasma as well, and love it. Both technologies look amazing, but I've never had the chance to see the two side by side.
and, "No", I don't mean side by side in the Best Buy display rack.  :nono:

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 28 Nov 2014, 06:40 pm »
We are close to pulling the trigger on a basement finishing project, so naturally I am starting to prepare for another flat panel purchase. In the past, I have been a strong proponent of Plasma over LCD/LED and have purchased several Panasonic Plasmas over the years.  While it is clear that the LED technology is advancing rapidly while Plasma is stagnating/evaporating, I am thinking that for my needs (watching sports and movies on a limited basis in a basement), spending as little as possible on a LG or Samsung plasma is probably the best option (I can get a 61" 1080P Samsung delivered to my door for $700).  I am debating between "buy the Plasma now while you can still get them" vs. the "hold off, TVs get better and cheaper with time", and I am kicking myself for not getting a Panny when they announced they were nixing production.

Stay with Plasma until 4k comes down in price. Plasma is just plain better. Everything else just looks 'digital' and processed to me.

Even better would be keep your current TV and get a projector. If your space is not quite long enough get a short throw one that uses shorter distance. Once you go projection, pfffffft, you just laugh at 65 inches...

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2014, 07:17 pm »
Once you go projection, pfffffft, you just laugh at 65 inches...
Indeed.  8)

kingdeezie

« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2014, 08:27 pm »
No one has mentioned O(rganic)LED.

Right now Best Buy has the LG 55 inch OLED 1080P TV for about 3500. It sounds pricey, but it is one of the best TVs ever made. CNET reviewed it, and said it had the best picture quality of any TV they have ever reviewed. They said the black levels were amazing, destroying even the ZT series in a dark room, and that the contrast was stellar.

Coming out soon will be the 65inch 4K OLED LG variant. It will likely street for 8K (MRSP 10K), but I for one, can't wait to see it in action.

OLED has been a long time coming, but I think LG has finally got a hold of manufacturing, and the prices will continue to come down.

If you can hold out for a couple of years with what you have now, I would wait and see what happens with OLED, it is the future of direct view right now. It should definitely be a great improvement over plasma, and absolutely decimate LCD/LED.

jk@home

« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2014, 09:40 pm »
Many folks have upgraded their plasmas to the new 4k Samasung LEDs, as they feel that it's technology finally equal or surpasses a plasma picture. Check them out, we are really enjoying our curved 65"er (HU9000).

bummrush

« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2014, 10:49 pm »
Sticking with my Hitachi plasma from 2006.When and if it blows , ill worry about something else, but it wont be over 1 k

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2014, 10:51 pm »
My Samsung plasma works great, when I first got it, there were some issues with ghosts, but you can swipe them clean with the Samsung "white scrolling" option in there menu. Over time, the ghosts diminish and the screen has actually gotten better. I don't do any "white scrolling" now, it doesn't get any ghosts now.

Good luck...

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2014, 10:53 pm »
Who ya gonna call?  :wink:

John151

« Reply #19 on: 29 Nov 2014, 02:30 pm »
From what I've read this is the last year for the majority of the major company's will be producing plasma's. Personally if you can budget it, I'd go with a Samsung F8500 series plasma. They're touted as being the best plasma currently made, even better than Panasonic who has consistently lead in that market.

Currently Bestbuy has some deals on them.
PN51F8500 - $999
PN60F8500 - $1499
PN64F8500 - $2,499.98

While it does excel in picture quality from what I understand they're not the best gaming diaplays. They have some sort of delay built in, I believe with some of the features turned off it sits somewhere around 50ms which is still pretty bad.

I believe the answer to my dilemma is listed above (by SlyFuu).  While this is more than I was looking to spend, this makes sense given my usage (controlled light, limited us with mostly movies and sport).  Thus, the advantages of LCD/LED don't come into play, and this will be my last chance to get a top of the line Plasma (I have been kicking myself for not getting one of the last Panny's). 

Great thread and thanks for the input everyone!