The new MP-301 MK2 Integrated--6.5 watts of heaven...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Hey guys I have the original Musical Paradise MP 301 and have been watching for the new version having heard things from the designer and others who contributed ideas for this version:
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=75

The price is excellent, and if its anything like the original I'm saving up for one...two inputs, integrated, this is perfect for me...input for CD, input for Squeezebox....no other box in the path...just 6.5 watts of joy...LOL!!!!

Ericus Rex

Re: The new MP-301 MK2 Integrated--6.5 watts of heaven...
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2011, 12:42 am »
And people were trying to tell you 60 watts minimum...8)

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:03 am »
Originally I was going to use it exclusively as a headphone amp but had to try it with the big boys and I was pleasantly surprised. Check out the parts-not bad components at all nice in fact and the designer is easily accessible through DIY forum and helps mod his amps...that to me is becoming the real fun part, the tweaking!! :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2011, 04:58 pm »
Damn you and your evil temptations, Mr Lein.  I am very tempted to get in the queue.  Would be nice to hear some feed back.

Doesn't yours run 6V6 for outputs Ed?

Jake

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2011, 05:44 pm »
Yep---I got some Tung Sol's on the recommendation of the group here, very nice...today was the first day back home where I really aired it out some...it sounds really good to me, I'll save for the new version for the: Two Inputs, Headphone Jack on front now-PITA on the back, Speaker switch and it uses some different tubes I think...I'm a novice but I know what sounds good and for the money I say this is a wonderful piece...the parts used are good quality...I'm juggling what to do with my Rent Rebate Check--this amp or ipad 2  ??? Decisions, Decisions...LOL..fun ones this time though...

eclein

• Volunteer
The new MP-301 MK2 Integrated--on its way....!!!
« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2011, 07:28 am »

Musical Paradise MP-301MK2 and its 6.5 watts of audio bliss has just crossed the border headed my way, the designer of this piece told me that this amp is much better than my first version he also designed and should drive speakers better (I had zero problem with the 1st one driving anything)
 I bought some Tung Sol Tubes for the first one that both ended up being bad tubes so I sent them back for a refund which I quickly spent on some Mullard EL34's for the new one along with some RCA tubes for the pre-amp portion of MK2.  Some folks have had these in hand for a little while now and so far all reports point to another bargain priced but well made item. I'll let you guys know how it sounds after I get it up and running--I'm sooo Pumped!!!

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:43 am »
Cool little amp, Ed!  I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the K.I.S.S approach.  A good pair of speakers/headphones and a line-level source are all you need with this baby to rock and roll!  Keep us informed on it.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2011, 11:28 am »
Hey guys I have the original Musical Paradise MP 301 and have been watching for the new version having heard things from the designer and others who contributed ideas for this version:
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=75

The price is excellent, and if its anything like the original I'm saving up for one...two inputs, integrated, this is perfect for me...input for CD, input for Squeezebox....no other box in the path...just 6.5 watts of joy...LOL!!!!

Thanks for the link. They also seem to sell a single ended 300B design at 7-8 watts/channel for about $650! Wow! Hot for mods.
 :thumb:

Anand.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2011, 11:35 am »
The cool thing is Garry Huang is the designer and he hangs out on DIY website and helps guys make modifications to his stuff. This version 2 of the MP301 is made up almost entirely by upgrades or mods people were doing or could do, in otherwords he took everybodies suggestions and designed the MK2 based in part on those ideas....thats cool that the average Joe has a bit or can have a bit of direct input into the design of this companies products.
 The other day he sent me an email and I noticed he was online through gmail and had a 20 minute gmail chat with him like I just dropped into the shop or something.....its fun, its not a ton of money, they sound very good to my ears and thats all that matters.

cryoparts

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2011, 02:06 pm »
Get the new one yet?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2011, 02:12 pm »
On its way!!!!  Monday or Tuesday I figure, left Canada this morning.

cryoparts

« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2011, 02:32 pm »
Finally!  I thought they were going to hold id hostage forever.    :green:

Peace,

Lee

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2011, 07:57 pm »
Stock tube 6J8P--Replacement sizes- 6SJ7, 5693, 6AC7, 6SK7, 6SD7, 6J4P, 6*4, 6*8
Stock Tube 6L6---Replacement sizes- 6P3P, 5881, EL34

So being the good audiophool I've got some tubes on the way to roll, but I need suggestions from the pros here.
I have Mullard EL34's on order and RCA  in the other type...LOL...not sure what size...I'm easy.....

So do you guys have any super selections for the above replacement sizes, I think the 6L6 and subs are the power tubes and the 6J8P and subs are the pre-amp tubes, unless I'm totally wrong (which is entirely possible). :thumb: :thumb:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:06 pm »
The new design is much slicker looking than the original, that's for sure!  I'm starting to look around at my house and say "Hmmm.  Could I use a second system in this room?."  I need an excuse to git me one!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2011, 10:22 pm »
I did a chat with the designer the other day on Gmail and he told this version was designed with emphasis on the speaker segment or whatever you call it. I told him I run some old vintage JBL's on it and he said this version will make them sing.

The price is excellent, designed well I believe, good parts were sourced and it wasn't just thrown together....Ericus-come on over to the Dark Side.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2011, 11:44 pm »
Ericus-come on over to the Dark Side.

:rotflmao:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2011, 02:56 pm »
So do you guys have any super selections for the above replacement sizes, I think the 6L6 and subs are the power tubes and the 6J8P and subs are the pre-amp tubes, unless I'm totally wrong (which is entirely possible). :thumb: :thumb:

You're right, Ed!

I tried a few different brands of new production EL34s and never really loved what I heard.  I always preferred the Gold Lion KT66s in my amps (I don't know if your new amp will support that tube, though).  Then I bought some Siemens/RFT EL34s and think they sound so much better than the other EL34s I've owned.  While they are NOS they were made in the early 80's (I think) and so they're not nearly as expensive as NOS Mullards and the like.  I've seen them on the 'bay for $50-60/pair.  I can't vouch for the sellers though.  Surely some of the tube dealers have some fully tested and matched, maybe for under $100 a pair.

Those Russian 6L6s also sound pretty good and are uber-cheap!  They are the 6N3CE (or 6P3SE) and I've seen them for $12 pair.  I don't know how they'd compare to the Mullard reissues though.

Happy rolling!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2011, 03:14 pm »
Ericus I got the Mullards (Pair) shipped for like $50ish I think from my guy Jon at The Tube Store...

irishsammy

« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2011, 01:52 pm »
Very interested to hear some impressions on this little thing.  I'm *this* close to buying one as a HP amp and secondary amp in my main setup. 

Its ability to drive speakers isn't a concern for me because at one point I hooked up my dearly departed little 2.5wpc Miniwatt integrated to my dearly departed SongTowers and felt like I might end up joining some of my dearly departed loved ones because it sounded so good.   :D

milford3

« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2011, 02:30 pm »
If you are looking into a SET tube amp at a great price this is the one.  irishsammy, what happened to the ST?  I have had the MP-301 for two weeks now and love it.  Break-in not completed yet for a review.  I have read to roll output to EL34's.