2017 DAC recommendations??

Wind Chaser

2017 DAC recommendations??
« on: 21 Oct 2017, 07:35 pm »
I need a DAC that can act as a preamp with both single ended and XLRs outputs.

In view of the above, apart from the Nuprime DAC-10, what are my best options (new or used) in the range of $1500 - $2000?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Re: 2017 DAC recommendations??
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2017, 07:42 pm »
Mytek Brooklyn is getting some rave reviews and seems to have everything you have asked for.

Tubeburner

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2017, 07:47 pm »
Exogal Comet Plus has single ended and XLR outputs. They play at the same time. The volume control is very nice.

jhm731

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2017, 08:17 pm »
Listen to the Emotiva DC-1 before spending your big bucks. It is equal to many DACs that cost $1500 or more.

Unless you require DSD. The DC-1 won't decode it.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2017, 08:24 pm »
My DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core does all that plus DSP and sounds better than my DC-1 (paid $450 show special).  See my AC reviews of both.  DC-1 seemed to be better built.  Bought the DSPeaker from Underwood HiFi for $900.

Do check out AudioStream.com for several DAC/preamp reviews.

zoom25

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2017, 08:33 pm »
I have the DC-1. It's great for its price and features. But SQ wise, you get what you pay for.

I'll recommend checking out the Crane Song Solaris. It doesn't have single ended outputs but it's been exceptionally well received. Jitter is something like half a picosecond.

dburna

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2017, 09:20 pm »
There is an Exogal on Audiogon right now for $1500 that's supposed to be great.

Regards,  -dB

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2017, 11:43 pm »
While the MP-D2 is an excellent DAC, owned it for over a year, it's preamp outputs are single ended only and not up to the level of the DAC section. The Nuprime DAC-10 is a very good preamp on it's own with the DAC section being a bonus.  I have used it in my second system for over a year and a half with Odyssey Lorelei's and now Spatial M3 TM's.  During that time it has worked with SS, Tube and Class D amps with equal success. How much effort was put into the preamp sections of the other models mentioned I don't know.  I'm not going to recommend units I have never used. 

dburna

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2017, 11:46 pm »
While the MP-D2 is an excellent DAC, owned it for over a year, it's preamp outputs are single ended only and not up to the level of the DAC section. The Nuprime DAC-10 is a very good preamp on it's own with the DAC section being a bonus.  I have used it in my second system for over a year and a half with Odyssey Lorelei's and now Spatial M3 TM's.  During that time it has worked with SS, Tube and Class D amps with equal success. How much effort was put into the preamp sections of the other models mentioned I don't know.  I'm not going to recommend units I have never used.

As a DAC, do you prefer the MP-D2 or the DAC-10?  And can you comment on the sound differences between the two?  I have considered both DACs but I think the primary determinant for many might be whether you need volume control built-in.....in which case I would assume the DAC-10 wins out on that.

Thanks,  -dB

JackD

« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2017, 01:04 am »
DB

The MP DAC is in a different system than the DAC-10.  The MP-D2 or alternately the Aqua La Voce are in the main system with the PS Audio BHK Preamp and Amp with Nola Speakers.  This system requires only a DAC.  To compare them would have to be from memory only as they have never been together in the same system.  I have owned multiple ESS based DAC's over the past several years and find the one in the DAC-10 to be the most neutral of the bunch. I credit this to the quality of the input buffer and the preamp section in the DAC-10.  In the same system sits the Oppo Sonica which can function as a DAC, digital preamp and streamer.  It has more emphasis on the frequency extremes.  I always use the DAC-10 as the preamp but alternate between the two for DAC duties.  The MP-D2 is pretty different to me in terms of basic voicing starting with the two different chip manufacturers.  Plus you can tailor it's sound somewhat with different tube and cap combinations. It just has that fuller tube signature that you can within reason adjust.  If you made me chose just one as a DAC only I would chose the MP-D2, but if you need a quality preamp section too the DAC-10 wins hands down and will not disappoint as a DAC either. 

jhm731

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2017, 01:19 am »
DAC/Network Streamer plus an upgrade path via Modwright:

https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/sonica-dac-Overview.aspx

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2017, 09:43 am »
JackD

You mentioned the Oppo Sonica DAC in passing.  Would seem to fit the Windy's bill perfectly for only $799 USD.  Other than emphasizing frequency extremes what other impressions do you have of it?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2017, 12:27 pm »
Stereophile just reviewed the Benchmark DAC3 HGC (with headphone amp), or the DAC3 L (without headphone amp). I subscribe to Sphile and this review certainly read a little different than other reviews by the Sphile group. Jim Austin is a bit more grounded in reality and described it well. The review should be on the web soon perhaps early November.

In the measurements section it performed better than any unit I have read to date including the Vega (perhaps equaling the DCSstack $$$$). The serious downside imho is it is limited to DSD64, which might be a no go for me (my current dac only accepts DSD 256).

Of course subjectively, Austin was smitten. But here is the kicker. He was extremely fastidious about level matching, using the same cables, setup, music, etc...and compared to the DAC1 which he has, he heard NO difference. Neither did his 19 year old son or his friend he called over.

They have a 30 day return policy.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/reviews/dac3-review-jim-austin-stereophile

Best,
Anand.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2017, 04:07 pm »
JackD

You mentioned the Oppo Sonica DAC in passing.  Would seem to fit the Windy's bill perfectly for only $799 USD.  Other than emphasizing frequency extremes what other impressions do you have of it?

Must be pretty favourable since he alternates between it and the DAC-10. The only obvious downside to the Sonica is it doesn't come with a remote.

Too bad the preamp outputs are only single ended and not on par with the DAC on the MP D2, otherwise it would be an easy choice.

I'm fine with the Nuprime DAC-10; the only problem is I paid for one back in early August and all I'm getting is a song and dance from my dealer as to when it will arrive.

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2017, 05:04 pm »
Regardless of the DAC one ends up buying, be prepared for its value to drop precipitously if new. With the current turnaround in the DAC market down to 6mos - 1yr for new chips/designs/components, whatever you get now is going to be considered old news by next year. DACs imo have the highest depreciation in hi-fi. I would not buy new unless to demo or very inexpensive - and there are a glut of options in the used market (e.g. A 2015 Chord Hugo just sold for half its retail cost).

JackD

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2017, 05:18 pm »
For the price especially, the Sonica is a first rate DAC and streamer combination.  Would not be my choice as a primary system preamp. In all aspects the DAC-10 is superior in that regard. My swapping between the two only involves the DAC section.  The preamp section is always the DAC-10. Since OPPO has the 30 day money back guarantee you can order one and try it. 

As to your DAC-10, didn't realize there was a shortage.  Might want to contact Jason and see what the problem is or change dealers. AA has them in stock with free shipping that usually is two to three days. 

santacore

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2017, 05:51 pm »
I recently purchased a PS Audio Directstream Jr., which will replace my Exogal Comet plus. Both are excellent as DAC's and preamps, but I do prefer the Directstream. In the past I have always preferred a high quality preamp in line, but these 2 units are the first 2 DAC's that make me question that. Both are highly recommended.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2017, 06:18 pm »
As to your DAC-10, didn't realize there was a shortage.  Might want to contact Jason and see what the problem is or change dealers. AA has them in stock with free shipping that usually is two to three days.

I'm betting it's more of a BS dealer/distributor problem. They did offer me a great deal, however after 2 months of waiting with still no certain date for delivery, I think it's time to move on and consider alternatives.