Spike Decoupling Glider or Fat Glider?

highstream

Spike Decoupling Glider or Fat Glider?
« on: 14 Aug 2017, 11:38 pm »
Several months ago, after buying a pair of 70 lb each ATC two-way active tower speakers, I had a couple of guys from the local high end shop over to fine tune placement of the speakers. The condo floor has a medium depth shag carpet, I assume on a pad with concrete slab underneath and the garage under that. The speakers come with separate spikes that can be screwed in, four each, which the shop guys put in when the set up was done, in part to level the speakers and in part to fix placement (without the spikes, moving the speakers is not difficult, tho not something I would normally do). I've attached a photo of the right speaker to give an idea of the location. A 360 degree view of the spikes and where they are placed (not on carpet) can be seen under the photography tab at http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loudspeakers/entry-series/scm19a/.

Having read Jim Smith's recent column in Copper magazine, I'm looking at seeing what decoupling will do.  The first question is, spikes or no spikes? If spikes, then the regular spike decoupling gliders are it.  OTOH, if no spikes, then the questions is, Little or Giant Fat Gliders?  Thanks,

stellablues

Re: Spike Decoupling Glider or Fat Glider?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2017, 06:34 pm »
Bumped. along the same lines does anyone have feedback on the relative effectiveness of different feet?

Little Fat Glider

vs threaded gliders

vs big square dots.

Threaded gliders seem the most flexible for aligning the speaker but doesn't look to have as much absorbing material. fat gliders have more material and fat dots seem to have the most. is the reverse order in which they will also improve sound quality?

highstream

Re: Spike Decoupling Glider or Fat Glider?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2017, 07:04 pm »
I can pass along my experience since posting. I started with furniture sliders and the difference was immediate in a cleaner sound. I then got the Big fat gliders, four for each speaker and removing the spikes, and the sound improved that much more, even though the speakers still touch the carpet. I did play around a bit with where the gliders were placed for leveling the speakers in both directions. I highly recommend decoupling. The spikes would mean a little more height overall, I think (without checking Herbie’s site), but gliders are easier for moving and fully decouple.

I’ve used the little dots effectively under smaller speakers on stands, such as Quad 12L’s. If those might fulfill your need, message me as I may have all or most of a full set no longer in use.