DAC 10 High/ Low gain feature

Genez

DAC 10 High/ Low gain feature
« on: 28 Jul 2017, 07:58 am »
What are some possible applications and purpose for having the Low and High gain feature of the DAC 10?
When should it be used? 

giordy60

Re: DAC 10 High/ Low gain feature
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2017, 11:50 am »
Depending on the technical characteristics of the equipment to which it will be connected

Genez

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2017, 04:41 pm »
Depending on the technical characteristics of the equipment to which it will be connected

I understand it must be that, but only in a general vague sense... Double the output?  Never seen this feature offered before in home audio before.

When should one need a 4 volt output for unbalanced, and an 8 volt output for balanced?  In what kind of application?
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2017, 06:16 pm by Genez »

giordy60

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2017, 07:10 pm »
4 and 8 Volt are used to power directly power terminals, both 2 volt (rca) and 4 volt (xlr) if the dac is connected to an integrated or preamp.
This in principle.
 :wink:

Genez

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2017, 07:21 pm »
4 and 8 Volt are used to power directly power terminals, both 2 volt (rca) and 4 volt (xlr) if the dac is connected to an integrated or preamp.
This in principle.
 :wink:

Funny...

if I could understand how you just explained it?  I would not need it explained.  :D

4 and 8 Volt are used to power directly power terminals...

Power terminals?   I thought that speaks of OUTPUT level from the preamp to an amp, or another component.  Not, as being used as some external power supply as you just made it sound. What is it you were telling me?  I am wondering in what applications someone would need those doubles output levels. 

I have a DAC 10 on order, and would like to understand this feature, please.    Never seen this option before. 

And, I am sure there will be others who also do not have a clue. I would like to be able to discuss with others this DAC/preamp, and be able to explain it.

Genez

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2017, 07:24 pm »

giordy60

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2017, 07:33 pm »

Power terminals? 

Final amplifier sorry  :wink:

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2017, 07:33 pm »
I think Giordy meant it was for connecting directly to a power amp rather than a preamp or an integrated unit.

In any event, the low gain function is probably sufficient for most uses. The rare exception might be if you have an amp with very low gain structure which needs to be fed a very level signal.

Genez

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2017, 07:55 pm »
I think Giordy meant it was for connecting directly to a power amp rather than a preamp or an integrated unit.

In any event, the low gain function is probably sufficient for most uses. The rare exception might be if you have an amp with very low gain structure which needs to be fed a very level signal.

Thanks... I figured that should be its function...I never seen an amp with such low sensitivity before.  I know that studios need to make a line level adjustments. I have seen it involve lowering the outputs to accommodate a component.  But raising it that high?  I never knew that high was ever needed. 

Thanks for the answer.   I suppose NuPrime understands that those who need that kind of feature will understand it without needing to have it explained.  It was the 8 volts that threw me. I never knew any component could need that much.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2017, 08:24 pm »
I think I've seen one or two power amps that were actually current buffers at unity gain.

Genez

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2017, 10:49 pm »
I think I've seen one or two power amps that were actually current buffers at unity gain.

Well.. with the help of Google, I am learning something I did not know before.  NuPrime's engineers are aware of something that most of us have no need for concern.  Someone out there has a unity gain buffered amplifier. 

giordy60

« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2017, 01:44 pm »
I use it with active monitors that need 4-7volts in input

Genez

« Reply #12 on: 1 Aug 2017, 05:38 pm »
I use it with active monitors that need 4-7volts in input

Ahhhhh!   THAT'S THE ANSWER!