If there is no limit, what kind of amp do you want?

rustydoglim

If there is no limit, what kind of amp do you want?
« on: 14 Apr 2017, 06:00 pm »
We are glad to have so many satisfied customers. The past two years have been a great leap for NuPrime.
We have several ideas to put into the "next gen" amp. But I will like to hear what you have in mind.
I want your wish list, if anything is possible.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: If there is no limit, what kind of amp do you want?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2017, 06:11 pm »
1. MCH K38 as a 2-channel reference amp or as mono amps.
2. Redo the ST-10 as mono amps with upgraded caps
3. Upgraded IDA-8 with 150w/ch
~~~~~~~~~~
4. DAC-10H with the 9038 chip

That's a good start, I guess.

Thanks for asking.  :)

Samac

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2017, 06:55 pm »
Jason,

What a great question. I'm five days in with my IDA-16. It will have 70+ hours in it this evening so I'm getting a feel for it.

Nuprime is on a great course. I would like to see NuPrime continue to produce category leading DAC/integrateds for all budgets.

I believe there is a very good chance that my IDA-16 is an end point for me; it is that good. :thumb: However I wouldn't mind seeing a NuPrime Reference IDA-16.

As Michael mentioned a two-channel Reference amp would be great as well as a reference two channel pre-amp. I believe a reference two-channel pre/amp combination would get lots of attention and would compliment the Ref 20 monos nicely.

Cheers,

Scott

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2017, 07:42 pm »
- option for rack mounting somehow (if not directly in the chassis, maybe rack ears? maybe in a side-by-side config if doing monoblocks in the smaller chassis?)
- selectable high pass filter for those of us who want to integrate a sub (and if there were subwoofer outputs, perhaps a matching low pass filter as well)
- Dante or AVB some other ethernet interface (unlikely I realize)
- two sets of binding posts selectable as speaker A or B like the old school receivers; also have it remember separate volume settings on each output (this would be perfect for those of us who like to have several speakers hooked up and/or for comparisons)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2017, 08:16 pm »
We are glad to have so many satisfied customers. The past two years have been a great leap for NuPrime.
We have several ideas to put into the "next gen" amp. But I will like to hear what you have in mind.
I want your wish list, if anything is possible.
An hybrid amp w/remote volume control to drive fullrange drivers direct from the CD Player with 6SN7/6SL7 input tube around 50Wpc with wide bandwith, if monoblocks better.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2017, 10:26 pm by FullRangeMan »

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2017, 10:11 pm »
I'm with Michael regarding a MK-38 (MK-32)? that is 2 channel or mono blocks, this would cost less but still have the sound quality that people seem to really like.

It also seems right up your ally to do something like Sonos does with wireless connectivity and amps at different locations running off of the main system. Purpose made for this application, maybe using your new entry level amps as the satellites.

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2017, 01:21 am »
An hybrid amp w/remote volume control to drive fullrange drivers direct from the CD Player with 6SN7/6SL7 input tube around 50Wpc with wide bandwith, if monoblocks better.

+1

25 watts would be enough for me.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2017, 01:23 am »
+1

25 watts would be enough for me.
How much is your speaker sensitivity?

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2017, 03:06 am »
How much is your speaker sensitivity?

My Zellatons are 86 db but I do not listen loud. I want to  try those new Omega 3HO's which are 98db?

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2017, 05:37 pm »
1) A higher powered amp for power hungry speakers.

2) a digital direct amp fed by a digital signal (along the lines of what TacT and NAD have offered).

3) both of the above on one package. 

nature boy

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2017, 05:47 pm »
Just my 38 watts/channel Decware Zen Mystery amplifier.  That will do me for good!

NB

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2017, 06:20 pm »
My Zellatons are 86 db but I do not listen loud. I want to  try those new Omega 3HO's which are 98db?
I surprised, its some unsual. I wonder if these post Transistor era amps have strong bass in the small versions as 30-50W?

Freo-1

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2017, 06:50 pm »

2) a digital direct amp fed by a digital signal (along the lines of what TacT and NAD have offered).

Devialet makes exactly what you are asking for:

https://en.devialet.com/expertpro/#discover

witchdoctor

« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2017, 08:52 pm »
Hey Rusty, whatever amp you build is great, just don't ship it with a $2 power cord would be my wish. Get a GREAT cord!! Plenty of excellent vendors here on Audiocircle to partner with, why not throw in some isolation devices too.

witchdoctor

« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2017, 08:55 pm »

The problem as I see it is waste, so much of that :high power" that isn;t being used is wasted as heat. Why not just get active speakers with amps customized for the drivers built in? Less expensive too.

roscoeiii

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2017, 09:15 pm »
The problem as I see it is waste, so much of that :high power" that isn;t being used is wasted as heat. Why not just get active speakers with amps customized for the drivers built in? Less expensive too.

I like my inefficient speakers (SP Tech Revelations) and power isn't as pricey as it once was. Don't particularly care if it is wasted as heat as long as the speaker's sonics aren't negatively impacted.

gnostalgick

« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2017, 09:35 pm »
  I don't know if you were even considering any hybrid amps, but as they've already been mentioned, what would be nice to see in the marketplace was one with utmost flexibility as to what tubes could be used.  Just as the Primaluna's accept everything from EL34s to KT150s, and can be used in both triode and ultralinear mode--having those options in a hybrid design, using the minimum number of tubes (single-ended?), capable of driving low/varied impedance speakers (a full 50-100 watts from 4-16 ohms) would be a must audition!  I'm imaging an OTL-like sound that could be enjoyed without compatibility worries.  A bridgeable/mono design much preferred--in fact I just ordered a STA9 as an interim (possibly upgrade?) amp in part due to that very flexibility.

P.S. I suppose I should also mention that in a discussion on Agon, folks are wishing for even higher switching frequencies.  (I don't really understand the technology. myself)

Nidri17

« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2017, 10:45 pm »
IDA-10.
(ST-10 power amp stage combined with dual AKM AK4497 DAC and XMOS U208 USB chip.)

f16voodoo1

« Reply #18 on: 16 Apr 2017, 12:38 am »
After finally giving your ST-9 as a mono block pair a go with my Rogue 99 super magnum; i must say i am so impressed. I fully intend to upgrade to the Sta-10... (but am i really upgrading??.. after going through your circle, it seems that with st-9's as mono blocks, there isn't much difference versus the Sta-10 ) . My wish would be for you to offer a bridge amplifier between the Sta 10 and the reference 20's. . in other words, you have this huge gap in your line between $1600(Sta 10) and the reference 20's at $8000 a pair. Unless I've missed something, I believe it would be advantageous for you guys at Nu prime to offer something in the $3000- $5000 range. in all honesty after my experience thus far with the St -9's  ..., i would purchase tomorrow

i would have never believed it... great work and engineering !!!!!

lance

artur9

« Reply #19 on: 16 Apr 2017, 03:58 am »

Someone said Devialet so I feel compelled to mention Lyngdorf, which also makes the above (descendant of TacT tech, I think).