NuPrime IDA-6 $649

rustydoglim

NuPrime IDA-6 $649
« on: 27 Oct 2016, 10:31 pm »
IDA-6 will be shipping 1st week of December.

Inputs:
A1:  3.5mm Analog Input
E2:  Expansion port for optional modules (NuPrime BTR-8 (Bluetooth) or NuPrime WR-100 (WiFi receiver)
O3: Optical Digital S/PDIF (PCM up to 192K supporting DoP format DSD64)
O4: Optical Digital S/PDIF (PCM up to 192K supporting DoP format DSD64)
C5: Coaxial Digital S/PDIF (PCM up to 384K supporting DoP format DSD64)
C6: Coaxial Digital S/PDIF (PCM up to 384K supporting DoP format DSD64)

Outputs:
2 x pair of stereo speaker (binding posts) outputs
1 x Control panel for optional extended control panel and display. 

Specifications:
• S/PDIF Sampling Rates: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHZ, 384KHz (Coaxial)
• Bit Resolution: 24-bits
• Power output: 60W x 2 (8-Ohm) or 35W x 4 (4-Ohm)
• THD+N: 0.05%
• SNR = > 88dB (2nd harmonics are added into the design using transistors to create the "body" and "warmth" in the sound characteristic)
• Peak Output Power: 150W
• Frequency Response: 10Hz ~50KHz
• Dimensions: 200 mm W x 198 mm D x 60 mm H (including feet)
• Worldwide AC voltage: (90VAC~130VAC // 210VAC~ 250VAC) auto switch
Color: Black

« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2016, 07:43 am by rustydoglim »

rustydoglim

Re: NuPrime IDA-6 $649
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2016, 10:44 pm »
It sounded like a more neutral version of STA-9, between STA-9 and IDA-8 kind of sound.  Clean, neutral, with a little bit of warmth.
It certainly can not compete with IDA-8 in terms of performance, even if you have a high efficiency speaker.
It sounded better than the old NuForce DDA-100, or ST-100.
We can safe to say that at this price level and sound quality, it is unbeatable.  Another class-leading product from NuPrime.

This product is designed for:
- bookshelf speaker for a small TV or gaming setup
- general purpose cheap high end integrated for driving speakers (outdoor speakers, ceiling speakers)

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2016, 12:00 am »
Are there actually 4 separate amp channels on this thing, or are R1 and R2 (and thus the matching L1 and L2) simply a parallel set of binding posts?

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2016, 02:40 am »
The input can only select from one of the sources.  Therefore Set1 and Set2 stereo outputs come from the same source.

Armaegis

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2016, 05:27 am »
Ok that answers what was going to be my second question, but let me rephrase the first one: are there 4 separate amp circuits inside, or only two?

maty

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2016, 06:41 am »
SNR = > 88dB

It has to be a wrong spec! because is too low for a class D or any new amp without tubes.

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2016, 07:41 am »
It has to be a wrong spec! because is too low for a class D or any new amp without tubes.

I guess you haven't followed the very long thread in the STA-9 discussion. These are hybrid design, and the SNR measurement is "affected" by the clean 2nd harmonics that we added into the design using transistors.  From listener's perspective, these are not noise, but give you the "body" and "warmth" in the sound characteristic.

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2016, 07:44 am »
Are there actually 4 separate amp channels on this thing, or are R1 and R2 (and thus the matching L1 and L2) simply a parallel set of binding posts?

Separate 4 amp channels, therefore they can be bridged to double the power.

quibus

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2016, 07:54 am »
Looks nice!
The power rating is stated as "60W x 2 (8-Ohm) or 35W x 4 (4-Ohm)". As you explained just now, there are 4 amp circuits. Does this mean that it would be 70W x 2 in 4-Ohm?

I'm surprised that there are 4 optical/coax inputs, but no USB. For a desktop solution (which this looks like, given the 3,5'' aux in) I would expect USB to be more useful than so many optical/coax.

Armaegis

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2016, 07:56 am »
Separate 4 amp channels, therefore they can be bridged to double the power.

Thanks. Since there do not appear to be physical switches on the back, I'm assuming changing to bridged mode must be done by the front panel/remote?

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2016, 08:01 am »
I think it is still 60Wx2 at 4 ohm, or could be 70Wx2, I have to check with engineering. Some power could be lost due to the bridging.
It is not meant for desktop use. You already have IDA-8, and the -9 series.  Adding high performance USB will increase the cost, and it is not the position of this product. But if anyone needs USB input, the award winning $99 Encore mDSD (designed and made by NuPrime) can be used to convert from USB to optical.  Encore mDSD can do native DSD256 and PCM32/384.

Early next year there is a low cost DAC-6 at < $500 coming (I think the target price is $299 or $349), it is a uDSD+++ model with multiple inputs (USB, optical, coaxial) and outputs plus headphone amp. 

rustydoglim

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2016, 08:02 am »
Thanks. Since there do not appear to be physical switches on the back, I'm assuming changing to bridged mode must be done by the front panel/remote?

That's the same question I have too  :scratch:

quibus

« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2016, 08:08 am »
But if anyone needs USB input, the award winning $99 Encore mDSD (designed and made by NuPrime) can be used to convert from USB to optical.  Encore mDSD can do native DSD256 and PCM32/384.

Early next year there is a low cost DAC-6 at < $500 coming (I think the target price is $299 or $349), it is a uDSD+++ model with multiple inputs (USB, optical, coaxial) and outputs plus headphone amp.
Thanks, I own an Encore mDSD. I do wonder whether it would work to pass DSD as DoP through it to optical, but presumably it would as it simply looks like PCM.

More interesting to me is the news about a DAC-6. I find that the NuPrime uDSD is better for desktop use than the Encore mDSD and another DAC I presently use. Therefore I am considering buying a second uDSD for this purpose, or taking the step to a DAC-9. A DAC-6 might be the perfect intermediate solution.

maty

« Reply #13 on: 28 Oct 2016, 08:09 am »
@rustydoglim

Sorry, you are right about me and the STA thread  :duh:

If STA 9 with 95 dB sounds warmth like a tube amp, the STA 6 with -7dB -because they are a lot of second harmonic- will be superwarmth!

rustydoglim

« Reply #14 on: 28 Oct 2016, 09:43 am »
There are other factors in play here, and this is an early spec. The product is not shipping for another month. That's why I posted here so people will help to spot any problem that we have to check again.  Crowd sourcing for QC  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 28 Oct 2016, 10:52 am »
As a more than casual NuPrime observer, there's already enough integrated amp/DAC choices.  This has gotten very confusing for consumers.  Can't give a blanket NuPrime recommendation based on sound.  Not even clear what all the features are.  How about an image with the display on?  Even after sorting all this out, trying to match features with sound and budget could leave many customers without a viable option.  Can hardly call a product modern or up-to-date without USB input.  How long will a given product be offered before NuPrime goes off into another new direction? 

Wouldn't it be cheaper/simpler to stay with fewer but more inclusive products that we could all know?  And why have all these sounds anyway?  Most audiophiles want it all and aren't willing to compromise say dynamics for warmth.  NuPrime loses identity and some credence without a belief in a particular house sound.  What type of sound do you do best?  Showing off your team's design chops is impressive but it seems that marketing has lost its way.  Am I the only one here who is getting overwhelmed?

Armaegis

« Reply #16 on: 28 Oct 2016, 04:01 pm »
I would hesitantly agree with JLM, though Jason did insinuate in a couple spots that these were meant more for installation... so perhaps they're trying to target a different demographic, but we all know Jason gets rather enthusiastic about showing off all his new toys  :green:

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 28 Oct 2016, 06:33 pm »
JLM: I actually appreciate your comment. I post this not as Armagis stated "showing off some new toys".  NuPrime house sound is defined by our chief engineer and management's collective taste. Historically we acquired Ref 9 series from NuForce (our Chief Engineer worked on the Ref 20) and the NuPrime amplifiers continue the sonic characteristic of Ref 9, with new innovations, new ideas, new topologies.

ST-10, IDA-16, STA-9, IDA-8 follow a common thread of our proprietary Class D power stage's gripping power, dynamic, details and clarity. Hybrid designs created the necessary flavours for specific positioning of each product. Therefore, it might be confusing for an observer. But if one is in the market for a specific product, we hope each product caters to its target customers.  IDA-8 customers will not consider IDA-16.  People who choose ST-10 typically match different speakers and source components than those who choose STA-9.
What we typically find is that the higher the performance of an amp, the less likely it is to deviate from the highest reference sound. Most people will find that ST-10 and Ref 20 are rather similar.

Products such as IDA-6 are created to target a different set of customers. People who have no experience with picking components and speakers. Within its price and objective, the IDA-6 is designed to solicit "wow, that's nice" from consumers, but it is not going to be raved about (may be for its value for money) by audiophiles. This amp and other similar derivatives are actually from a new architecture.

The actual amp board (without power supply) measured 3"x2". And from an engineering company's perspective, that's innovation.  It is a family of designs for our commercial product line.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #18 on: 28 Oct 2016, 07:00 pm »
Remote?

rustydoglim

« Reply #19 on: 28 Oct 2016, 10:54 pm »
Yes, it comes with a remote. By the way, notice the RS232 port.
Someday we will control all these devices with voice command. Such interfacing device already existed with Control4, someone has to develop a cheaper version.
"Alex, NuPrime device IDA-6 change to input 2"
"Siri, NuPrime device IDA-6 increase volume" ....