STA 9 Amp and DAC reviews?

Sandals123

STA 9 Amp and DAC reviews?
« on: 6 Oct 2016, 12:23 am »
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone who has the amp and preamp/DAC for combination would be willing to post their impressions after having the units for awhile? I am on the fence about whether or not to try.

Thanks

ameger

Re: STA 9 Amp and DAC reviews?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2016, 12:00 am »
In light of the fact that I mostly listen to non-hi res music (mp3s and streaming), I went for the "advertised less analytical" DAC 9/STA 9 combo rather than the DAC 10/ST 10 pairing. I purchased a DAC 9 and STA 9 in August. Very impressed, I purchased a second STA 9 to drive my Elac BS 403 speakers (rated at 200W and 4 Ohms). At 290 Watts/channel in mono mode, the STA 9s/DAC 9/Elac system sounds excellent. I highly recommend these components!

An experience I had is that after a while of listening, I noticed the sound was "not optimal" (subdued highs and exaggerated bass) just using the default OSX audio device. I tried JRiver, Audionirvana, Pure Music, Amarra SQ+ and Roon. It wasn't until I tried Roon that I found the sound I was looking for. Very defined with good low and high frequency presence. The decision of which SW to use for playback is likely a personal preference/system dependent decision, but Roon sounded the best to me on my system, room, ears etc.

As a never quite satisfied audiophile, I'm going to try Dirac Live room correction software next to optimize the sound further. My room is definitely causing some significant low frequency room modes, aka "boomy bass".

Hope this helps.

Sandals123

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2016, 01:57 am »
Thanks for your thoughts, I have gone ahead and ordered the STA 9 amp and DAC and will post my findings in a few days! I have a medium sized room and will drive either or Omega Super 6 Alnico Monitors or my Nola Viper 2A.

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2016, 02:05 am »
You may find that combo a little warm with the Nola's if it's signature resembles the IDA-8.  I know the 8 was way to warm for the KO's or the Boxers. The DAC-9 and ST-10 to my ears might have been a better fit. You will be able as you said to be the judge soon.