DAC-9

rustydoglim

Re: DAC-9
« Reply #140 on: 16 Aug 2016, 08:42 am »
Just trying to understand what customers want and correct any incorrect perception.
We have no problem showing the internal photo.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #141 on: 16 Aug 2016, 10:39 pm »
People like internal pics because it satisfies a curiosity about things they don't quite understand. On the downside, it fuels the obsessiveness over things they don't fully understand and people start chasing boutique parts by name only without regards to design.

pewe

« Reply #142 on: 23 Aug 2016, 04:13 pm »
Is it possible to connect my android Samsung Galaxy S4 phone to the usb input on the DAC9?

rustydoglim

« Reply #143 on: 26 Aug 2016, 09:06 pm »
Yes, you connect using an OTG USB cable. I think to get the best performance you need an Android player that can decode hi-res music.

triumph

« Reply #144 on: 29 Aug 2016, 03:58 pm »
As comparison (versus Tidal -> SONOS as source), try playing some high-res music samples from your computer to DAC-9.
We have some tracks here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eytmqlk652bg10k/AACL_STgL2yyi8AY08U2Jznqa?dl=0

You will find out how much better it gets. There are 16 tracks of very short music (track01 - track16) samples that demonstrate various audio characteristic. For example, to evaluate deep bass, try track04,05. That's better than testing with drums.

A big thank you for offering these files.

Unfortunately, I've been trying to download some of them, in different format, wav, flac, m4a, but none of them can play in any of the audio apps I have, from iTunes, to Audirvana or JRiver.

I didn't try the DSD files yet, as they are much bigger.

Any reason why them wouldn't work?

rustydoglim

« Reply #145 on: 30 Aug 2016, 07:49 pm »
Yes, those files were corrupted. I have just updated them. Please try again. Those short demo tracks by Jim Merod are awesome.

triumph

« Reply #146 on: 31 Aug 2016, 01:43 am »
Thank you very much!
I'll try downloading today.

Here's a more related question for this thread:

With the DAC-9, and using JRiver as music player and for active crossovers, can I select all 4 outputs individually?  Would JRiver see all 4 outputs as being distinct, or would the balanced/unbalanced outputs be linked?

My goal is to send 2 outputs to my L/R full range drivers, and the other 2 outputs to my L/R subwoofers.

Thank again!

Armaegis

« Reply #147 on: 31 Aug 2016, 01:50 am »
If I'm reading you correctly, no the DAC-9 will not work that way. You will need a 4-channel sound card, and you will need to sync two zones (each going to a separate 2 channels) for simultaneous playback in JRiver, while each zone handles it's own DSP/EQ for the pseudo crossover effect that you're going for. On the plus side you could theoretically get a good result and even do time alignment with JRiver's DSP functions. On the downside, the zone syncing must be spot-on (tricky at times) or it's all going to sound like mush.

I've tried doing this before (back with MC18) and could never quite get the sync to be correct each time.

triumph

« Reply #148 on: 31 Aug 2016, 03:12 am »
I have an 8-channel pro sound card at the moment.  I was hoping to improve in the DAC department.

You don't need 2 zones.  Just be selecting something like 5.1, the channels are labelled Left-Right-Center-SurroundLeft-SurroundRight-Subwoofer.
Using JRiver, I put a HighPass on the L/R channels, as my mains.  I copy the L/R to SL and SR and lowPass that to create my woofer channels.

Then connecting amps to 1-2 for Mains and 5-6 for Woofers. (Channel 3 it typically used for Center, while 4 is the sub).

I use the zone function to switch between music listening, and true 5.1 movie watching with different assignments on the output channels... or to test Convolution filters.

So, my question was, can I assign a HighPass on the unbalanced channels and a LowPass on the balanced channels with JRiver and the DAC-9?  Or are they linked and JRiver sees the DAC-9 as a 2-channel soundcard?

Armaegis

« Reply #149 on: 31 Aug 2016, 05:26 am »
Oh I see... yeah I totally forgot about multichannel processing since I dwell almost entirely in the 2-channel world.

I'm quite positive the DAC-9 will only register as a 2-channel device.

Now if your current soundcard has multiple digital outs, then you could potentially wrangle that into two separate dacs, but your costs are climbing rapidly now.

triumph

« Reply #150 on: 31 Aug 2016, 05:56 am »
Yes, those files were corrupted. I have just updated them. Please try again. Those short demo tracks by Jim Merod are awesome.

Yep, the Jim Merod you've updated now work.  Thanks.

triumph

« Reply #151 on: 31 Aug 2016, 05:58 am »
Oh I see... yeah I totally forgot about multichannel processing since I dwell almost entirely in the 2-channel world.

I'm quite positive the DAC-9 will only register as a 2-channel device.

Now if your current soundcard has multiple digital outs, then you could potentially wrangle that into two separate dacs, but your costs are climbing rapidly now.

Thanks... yep, I'm sure I don't want to start daisychaining a bunch of hardware boxes....

Sandals123

« Reply #152 on: 27 Sep 2016, 03:43 pm »
Hi everyone, sorry if I missed this point, does the DAC9 have the ability to connect and drive headphones?

srb

« Reply #153 on: 27 Sep 2016, 04:11 pm »
Hi everyone, sorry if I missed this point, does the DAC9 have the ability to connect and drive headphones?

If you look at the NuPrime DAC-9 page, http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/dacs-and-headphone-amps/home-audio-dacs/dac-9.html, you will see that there is no headphone jack and

"... the DAC-9 offers no integrated headphone amp." ...

"The DAC-10 features two levels of gain setting for both preamp and headphone amp outputs, with its XLR outputs producing 16 watts of power respectively, thus allowing the DAC-10 to partner with and drive any power amp or headphone."

Sandals123

« Reply #154 on: 27 Sep 2016, 04:16 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I have ordered my 9 amp and DAC, I guess I will have to decide how to best deal with using headphones separately.

John Casler

« Reply #155 on: 27 Sep 2016, 04:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I have ordered my 9 amp and DAC, I guess I will have to decide how to best deal with using headphones separately.

Of course a great Headphone Option is the HPA-9

Sandals123

« Reply #156 on: 27 Sep 2016, 04:43 pm »
Thanks John, that may be the option! The DAC 9 is just so loaded with features, I optimistically thought it may also have headphone capabilities. Can you please send me a PM on pricing and availability on the HPA?

rustydoglim

« Reply #157 on: 27 Sep 2016, 04:58 pm »
We have been struggling with the decision of whether to add a "ok" headphone amp to a world class DAC-9. As you can see from the description of HPA-9, it will take that much design work to make a good headphone amp that can drive sensitive IEM to power hungry over-ear headphones. That's why we didn't want to have a headphone output feature in DAC-9 that couldn't live up to its performance.

But for entry level DAC such as uDSD, it will be fine.

Sandals123

« Reply #158 on: 27 Sep 2016, 08:53 pm »
If the combination of the STA 9 and DAC 9 are as good as it appears, the inconvenience of no headphone is no big deal! I am so excited to get my gear! Thanks for all of your help.

DeonC

« Reply #159 on: 21 Oct 2016, 05:26 pm »
We have been struggling with the decision of whether to add a "ok" headphone amp to a world class DAC-9. As you can see from the description of HPA-9, it will take that much design work to make a good headphone amp that can drive sensitive IEM to power hungry over-ear headphones. That's why we didn't want to have a headphone output feature in DAC-9 that couldn't live up to its performance.

But for entry level DAC such as uDSD, it will be fine.

I am also a satisfied DAC-9 owner, using a NuForce MSR-1 server as source. My only problem with the DAC-9 + HPA-9 combination (and therefore the reason for not heading that direction) is that the DAC-9 does not have a processor/tape loop where I can plug the HPA-9 in. Therefore, when using the HPA-9, I cannot listen to the digital inputs on my DAC-9. If the DAC-9 had a loop (instead of just an analogue input), I have no doubt I would have added a HPA-9 to my system. Could this be made a future upgrade to the DAC-9?

Thanks,
Deon